Screwdriver Vs Spade

Knight

Mods, if you think this post should be moved to the mod forum, please do so.

I have a 4 day guy golf outing coming up, and do not want to be out of battery by the 8th holes every day. So I need to get a mega battery that will carry me through 27 hole (and a few hours of clubhouse drinking and lying) a day.

I'm down to the Spade or the Screwdriver, and would love some expert opinion. I'm also not closed to more options.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Edited by Knight

Hi Knight, I'm not a golfer so I don't know how long a typical 18 hole game lasts. Do you have both those units or are you gonna order one for the weekend away? If you haven't ordered anything yet you may want to check out the eGo which has a very long battery life. You can also order one of those other units and just keep a couple of extra batts in your golf bag.

Mods, if you think this post should be moved to the mod forum, please do so.

I have a 4 day guy golf outing coming up, and do not want to be out of battery by the 8th holes every day. So I need to get a mega battery that will carry me through 27 hole (and a few hours of clubhouse drinking and lying) a day.

I'm down to the Spade or the Screwdriver, and would love some expert opinion. I'm also not closed to more options.

Thanks in advance for the input.

For those wishing to answer, 18 holes on an outing should be about 4 hours or less. So we're looking at a good 8 hours here including the 19th (or in this case, the 28th) hole. Also possibly of importance is since you are outside, and doing something that is stressful (I don't care how good you are), I always found myself smoking a pack over the round.

I would say the spade with two batts should get you through it but you have to be able to charge the first one that drains before the second one goes out. So it would be close.

Now because I'm such a backup fiend, I need to know if this is in addition to something you already have and will be bringing along as well? If it was me, I would bring my spade, four batts (I bought two extras when I got the spade) and I would pack a couple of mega batteries, juice, carts and extra attys in my luggage. That would be in addition to what I normally travel with which is two fully charged, fully juiced 510s with mega batteries jammed into a reading glass tube as a backup to my spade. My point is if whatever you bring gets depleted, or worse, stops working, you'll be bumming/buying butts until you get it charged/fixed. Not the worst thing in the world but I assume this is what you are trying to avoid.

Between those 2, I would go with the screwdriver or the DSE905 (same thing). They run 900mah batteries where the Spade is 360mah. Basically last almost 3 times as long. I take my screwdriver out on the town a lot. Just carry an extra battery. You can pick them up for around $60 if you do a little shopping. It's smaller and a little cheaper than the VP2 but I'm still a huge VP2 fan!

Thanks for the input. I just saw something on the Ego, so will check it out. The trip is not until the end of April, so I have plenty of time. This will be my first big battery. I'm actually still using all my original equipment (801 and 510S)

Joe, I also am a back-up freak. Believe me, I'm planning on taking my whole tackle box of supplies, minus a few things just in case I do something stupid like leave it/lose it/drop it in water. But analogs cannot be an option.

Joe, I also am a back-up freak. Believe me, I'm planning on taking my whole tackle box of supplies, minus a few things just in case I do something stupid like leave it/lose it/drop it in water. But analogs cannot be an option.

Excellent, so you are just looking for something that you can work and not have to hassle with batteries, etc. I think you have some good suggestions then, ego/VP2. Sorry for being an old school marm about backups but I see so many folks basically freakin' when something goes wrong and they have to go back to analogs. Meanwhile, as I've said before in regards to vaping, as long as your freaking about doing analogues, you are in a good place. Most people who stop smoking the traditional ways are freaking about NOT doing analogues.

I actually quit analogs one time for 4 months. What got me started again? This same golf trip thats coming up! :wallbash:

In looking at the Ego, I guess it uses a 510 atty? I like the idea of the Spade or Screwdriver where you only have to pop another 10440 battery into the unit. Extra batteries for the Ego are about $25. Seems a little more expensive than the other options.

i'd go with a Spade. an extra battery is only like $6 (giving you a total of 3 batteries), which should last you through even the longest of days. 3 days a week i am out of my house from 9am until almost 1am and i have yet to kill all three batteries ... in a single day.

Seems like FTJoe has a good approach here. Sometimes I do think of him as a "schoolmarm" regarding backups :D but that's probably only until something happens to me that proves him right. Hopefully I'll win the lottery before that happens so I can be just like Joe. ;) Meanwhile, I use my VP2, which gets me about 8-9 hours of vaping, and carry two spare batts and a spare atty. That should get me through the worst days unless I drop my device in the toilet or something. Which, since I often find myself vaping in the most unlikely places, is not that far-fetched...

The other day Brian found some disposable 510s for like $10. (Can't remember where offhand. ENS?) I'm going to add a couple of those to my next order. Keep one in my desk at work and one here at home. Maybe I'll give one away sometime if a smoker shows an interest and wants to try it. Point is, cheap backup -- making me more like my hero for today, FTJoe. :)

Knight, I'll be looking forward to hearing what you decided on, and then how your golf outing goes. Who knows, you might make some conversions on the course!

Edited by ddavelarsen

Two eGO batteries should last you two days. There last a long time plus the unit looks and handles great. You could always go with the spade or vp2 and just carry a bunch of batteries with you. I have the vp2 and the eGO. I bring my eGO with me everywhere even though I use a different unit as my main PV.

I agree honestly I wouldn't go with either of the units you narrowed down. I would go with the eGo but it's out of stock. So your next bet would probably be the VP2 if you don't mind the size. :)

The VP2 ROCKS! I'm going on hour 6 with the first battery. :thumbsup:

OK...The scoring here (with .5 awarded to each suggestion where there is 2 recommended) the tally is:

Ego = 4

Spade = 4

Screwdriver = 1

At this point, I want all 3 in my possession by the end of April!!! But I haven't done my taxes yet either. :thumbsdown:

I've been watching this thread closely because I'm seriously considering getting the eGo. I've heard so much good about it from everyone here who has one. They are out at the moment, but I sent an email and asked when they'd be back in stock and they said possibly today, but by next week at the latest. Just so you know. They have a place on their site to check if you want to be notified when they are back in stock, so I did that. They will send me an email - which saves me from checking the site everyday. That gives me a few days to decide for sure, but I really think I'm going that way. But don't count my vote because I've never had one and don't know what I'll think of it. I'm just going by the opinions of others on the forum.

Knight, the 10440 batt may give you 4-5 hours, whereas the eGo batt has been lasting me 12 hours.

I wonder if they can upgrade the mAh without changing the size.

I love my Spade, but wish the batteries would last longer, or at least stay at 3.7 longer.

I wonder if they can upgrade the mAh without changing the size.

I love my Spade, but wish the batteries would last longer, or at least stay at 3.7 longer.

Madvapes does have a 500mah 10440. I emailed Mark (@madvapes) to see if they've been tested at 500mah and indicated that I had heard the only came in 360, regardless of what the print said. He said he'd try to find a way to test them. Doesn't matter, I need some new batteries so I'm planning to get some from him when he gets them back in stock. I'll let everyone know how they compare. These are Ultrafire, not Trustfire.

I'll write a check right now to anyone that finds a 500mah 3.6V AAA batteries. They simply do not exist. Trust me, if they did we'd use them in the spade. We have tested Ultrafire and Surefire they are 360mah. Any supplier that sells 500mah 10440 batteries is either A. Ling about it B. Doesn't realize it's a miss print. The batteries would be larger. (and that doesn't include the extra length from the protect circuit added)

Oh and by the way we have them in stock ;)

Although I have some time to get one of the other choices here, I think I have made a decision. I appreciate all the input ya'll have given, but I think I'm initially going with the least popular suggestion, and getting a Screwdriver. There are multiple reasons why:

1) The Screwdriver can be purchased with adapters for all the atty's I have. Comes with adapter for the 801 and 510 (which I have) and a 901 atty in the kit (from Arno)

2) The batteries are available from multiple sources, not just e-cig vendors.

3) Sounds like the batteries will really last.

4) Arno has been very good to me, answering all my questions, shipping is fast, he's close by, and I'm out of his Apple juice, which is currently my favorite. (I've been married for 30 years, and worked for the same company for 30 years. If nothing else, I'm loyal :rolleyes: )

All that said, I really want an Ego, and the newest Taylormade driver! :thumbsup:

Hey, if you want an eGo, Jeff over at wordup has them on sale for $85 Here's the link

Also, MadVapes has the screwdriver on sale for $39.99 without the battery. Here's the link

Nothing against the other dealers. Just trying to save my fellow vapers some cash! :thumbsup:

Madvapes does have a 500mah 10440. I emailed Mark (@madvapes) to see if they've been tested at 500mah and indicated that I had heard the only came in 360, regardless of what the print said. He said he'd try to find a way to test them. Doesn't matter, I need some new batteries so I'm planning to get some from him when he gets them back in stock. I'll let everyone know how they compare. These are Ultrafire, not Trustfire.

Just an update - the description on madvapes has been changed to 350mah.

Now I wonder if I should email him about the "protected" CR2's he has listed. :rolleyes2:

Knight, the 10440 batt may give you 4-5 hours, whereas the eGo batt has been lasting me 12 hours.

I hear you Bra I got 16hours out of my Wordup'sWickedEGOS and 14 out of the second one I can not F'in belive it OMG it has been done WORDUP TO THE EGO

Thanks Jeffrey

P.S. I have been told that the USB charger is not good for the EGO , When I asked Why this is what I was told

The USB charger has a higher power out put there for the battery charges faster and when the EGO battery was built it was built to take 4 to 6 hours to charge there for it will burn out faster in the long run , And also will take about 1 to 2 hours off singal use time, verses using a wall charger Which will get you a steady 13 to 16 hours of singal use and Longer life of the battery for more charges

I have both and will see what happens when i charge one on the USB and one on the 510 wall charger

Just a quick update. Despite my earlier decision to go with the Screwdriver, I followed jmhester's link to Wordup to look at the Ego again. Since my money spent vaping vs money saved not buying analogs was almost at $0, I bought the Ego. Got it yesterday, took it to work today, and loved it! At about 10 hours, I decided to switch batteries, even though the first one was still going.

But I still plan on getting the Screwdriver from Arno, just a little later.