How The News Feeds You Its Content

That was funny and so true. It's not about direct news relay. It's about making boring stories seem relevant and interesting to you.

I always felt they were treating me as completely stupid when they do the "on the scene" reports. Someone famous maybe was hurt and sent to the hospital. So they pack everyone up to do a feed from across the street so the hospital is in the background and spin their little tale. Do we really need the "on the scene" report, couldn't they have made the same report from the desk? I can see if the bank robbery is in progress, or if there is 15 inches of snow and they want you to see it. Of course, maybe you shouldn't be putting the reporter in jeopardy. I think it's Jim Cantelli on the weather channel, famous for being put in the path of any hurricane they could find, I always felt bad for him.

Some newsies have the walk and talk piece down pat, basically its the news segment approach. I always crack up (or am sometimes impressed) when these same folks do have "breaking news" or a real "on the scene" report during the news event. Now you get to see if they are really a news reporter by how they handle it.

Was that a real "report"? Cause that was hilarious and true, and if so I wish our newscasters would cuss like that while reporting, it would make my day!!

• 3 weeks later...

How The News Feeds You Its Content (So True!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtGSXMuWMR4&feature=player_embedded

This video is so awesome and so true that I am going to include it in a power point presrntation I am putting together for a Law and Ethics class on the E-cig and the FDA. I am going to play it just before I play the oh-so familiar news reports we have come to love. Just a note Chris the forum has been great as a jumping point for my research and I will site the forum in the presentation and the paper.

I'm so used to having our TV news delivered that way that I never even realized that there was a "format" to it. This is going to be a great as a add-in topic for discussion in my Business Communication class I'm taking. Thanks for sharing!

I like throwing things like this into my presentations because it works so much better than saying in. I could try to describe how the media does things, or I could play this entertaining video and then show a video of the FOX News reprting on E-Cigs in exactly the same manner.