The Movie Thread

I dig movies. And the weirder or scarier or cheesier the better. Last night when my connection went down my wife and I (well, she went to sleep, so "I") watched Paranormal Activity. Yikes! That's one freakin scary movie. There's nothing overt about it; everything happens off cameral or invisibly. But if you have an active imagination (which I'm blessed cursed with), this is about as freaky a movie as you will find. IMO anyway. Scared the living crap outta me; I kept thinking about the screams all day...

You seen any good movies lately?

Okay, since no one jumped in here in the first fifteen seconds, here's another: Sukyaki Western Django. Anyone seen that? No? Where you been, under a rock?! :D

Sukyaki Western Django is a Japanese (?) Western; takes place in a failing mining town in Nevada, but all the characters are Asian of one stripe or another. The costumes are out of sight, the story is like King Lear or something, the language is hard to follow until about the third viewing, but it's the weirdest movie I've seen in a long time. Soon as I saw it I knew I had to have the DVD and I (made sure I) got it for Christmas. Watched it Christmas day, and several weekends since. Just gets better every time. What a great freakin movie!

If ya love movies, you need to check out www.icefilms.info. It has like every movie known to man under one site, even some movies still in theaters and streams extremely fast and dvd quality

You know what, I don't think I've seen any really good movies lately. :rolleyes2: And since my wife doesn't like scary movies, I have been able to watch very many in years. :veryangry:

So how often do you find yourself watching movies over and over whenever they come on TV? Good grief I bet I've seen The Mummy a 100 times. Love that one. :thumbsup: What else... The Matrix, The Mummy Returns, Lord of the Rings. I've seen them so many times, but yet when I see them on I can't seem to turn the channel. :rolleyes2:

If ya love movies, you need to check out www.icefilms.info. It has like every movie known to man under one site, even some movies still in theaters and streams extremely fast and dvd quality

Thanks man! That looks like a good opportunity. They have "Electra Glide in Blue"! One of my favorite movies... Wow, what a bonus.

Brian I know exactly what you mean in both cases; my wife won't watch scary movies, or doesn't think the truly scary ones are scary.** And if I get sucked into one of the classics there's no going back for me either. Movies are one of my favorite things!

We went to see "Book of Eli" last night. We both really liked it but disagree what the ending suggested.

District 9 just came out on On Demand. We saw that in the theater; I've watched it twice more since it hit cable and I just think it's one of the best SF movies ever made. And no, I now realize there won't be a sequel. Thankfully; nothing could improve on that. What a great movie.

Possibly you can tell that the mainstream movies are not the only thing I watch. There are so many great movies that never make it to the commercial venues that cable is about the only recourse. No one I know could afford to buy all the DVDs of worthy movies that are made; for sure not me. Ever heard of Takashi Miike? Japanese film maker that will make your hair stand on end. I could go on... :D Some of these guys do get my DVD money. :)

Sukiyaki Western Django is so freakin weird and cool! I love that movie.

Edit: **The scariest scary movies are the ones you have to apply your imagination to, to fill in what's really happening. Horror requires a true suspension of disbelief; if one can attain that, movies like 28 Days Later or Paranormal Activity will scare your pants off. If not, well, you've lost a couple hours of your evening.

Edited by ddavelarsen

I dig movies. And the weirder or scarier or cheesier the better. Last night when my connection went down my wife and I (well, she went to sleep, so "I") watched Paranormal Activity. Yikes! That's one freakin scary movie. There's nothing overt about it; everything happens off cameral or invisibly. But if you have an active imagination (which I'm blessed cursed with), this is about as freaky a movie as you will find. IMO anyway. Scared the living crap outta me; I kept thinking about the screams all day...

You seen any good movies lately?

I saw Paranormal Activity but it was too slow for me. It was scary but a little boring. Maybe I got distracted and didn't notice but I don't think they ever figured out what was said on the Quija board. Did They? Did that movie remind you of any ghost stories you've heard? Got any good ones?

Last week I went to see Avatar in 3D. I planned on stealth vaping my Spade but I thought the movie was so cool that I forgot about it. I'm definitely buying that on blu ray.

Since you're a movie lover maybe you can help me find the name of a movie I've been looking for since I was a teenager. I really want to see this movie again and it drives me crazy that I can't find it. Everyone I've asked so far has no idea what I'm talking about. I vaguely remember it so bare with me. It looked like an old low budget film to me. It was probably made in the 70's or early 80's. In this movie there was a famine that killed more than 99% of humanity. The world looks abandoned with trash everywhere. It reminds me of Omega Man, I Am Legend, Mad Max, or Cyborg. The main character is all alone looking for food. I remember one part he finds a can of food. It was like he found treasure. He eventually finds this ship with people on it. They were very welcoming and fed him. They explained to him that they have enough food on the ship to feed all of them for 50 years, that they are going out to sea and never coming back, and that he isn't allowed to leave. He fights them off and escapes from the ship. The moral of the movie was that freedom is more valuable than food. Sound familiar?

Didn't know District 9 was out on demand. I'll make a point to watch that now. Looked like it was pretty good. There was one scary movie I saw when I was a teen that gave me night mares. Candyman. Haven't seen any of the sequals to it, but the original was just one of those movies that got to me. Not sure why, but it did.

I have been going to 10starmovies.com lately. They have a huge selection. Some of the streams are pretty weak though. I can't wait to check out the icefilms.info. thanks for the tip.

Candyman was pretty creepy, I have to admit. But what I remember most about that flick was the female lead. She was smokin' hot imo.

Have tried several times to stream District 9 and haven't been able to get through it all yet. gonna have to break down and rent it, I guess.

I streamed Paranormal Activity the other day. It did freak me out a little, I have to admit, but not nearly as much as the first time I watched SAW. That was a scary movie, I thought. The sequels were ok, I guess, but not nearly as good as the first one because the first one had you on the edge so much and the shocker ending was such a mind-blower....

Saving Private Ryan has to be my all-time favorite. And I also really dig The Hangover. Funny stuff....

If you haven't seen that animated flick "9" yet you should really check it out. It's very good.

Saving Private Ryan has to be my all-time favorite. And I also really dig The Hangover. Funny stuff....

If you haven't seen that animated flick "9" yet you should really check it out. It's very good.

The animated movie "9" was amazing. Wonderful story and beautiful animation. It is one of my favorites.

District 9 was also a good film. I did shed a few tears.

I also really liked Zombie Land. Absolutely hilarious and bloody all at the same time. You really can't ask for more.

I also really liked Zombie Land. Absolutely hilarious and bloody all at the same time. You really can't ask for more.

Glad to hear that! I thought it looked good, but my wife just thinks it'll be stupid. I wanna see it!!! :thumbsup:

I'm with you on "Saving Private Ryan" speak. That's another one I'll watch just about every time it's on TV.

Green Mile and Shawshank too. Love those.

Since you're a movie lover maybe you can help me find the name of a movie I've been looking for since I was a teenager. I really want to see this movie again and it drives me crazy that I can't find it. Everyone I've asked so far has no idea what I'm talking about. I vaguely remember it so bare with me. It looked like an old low budget film to me. It was probably made in the 70's or early 80's. In this movie there was a famine that killed more than 99% of humanity. The world looks abandoned with trash everywhere. It reminds me of Omega Man, I Am Legend, Mad Max, or Cyborg. The main character is all alone looking for food. I remember one part he finds a can of food. It was like he found treasure. He eventually finds this ship with people on it. They were very welcoming and fed him. They explained to him that they have enough food on the ship to feed all of them for 50 years, that they are going out to sea and never coming back, and that he isn't allowed to leave. He fights them off and escapes from the ship. The moral of the movie was that freedom is more valuable than food. Sound familiar?

Man I'm sorry but that does not sound familiar. You made me want to find it though. There has to be a site where you can get answers on stuff like this - a movie buff forum maybe? I've never looked but now you got me thinking...

Ah man, Shawshank Redemption, Private Ryan ... You all got it nailed. It was when I read Shawshank Redemption that i decided Stephen King isn't a hack after all... I'm about 50/50 on his stuff so far, but always dig Dean Koonz.

Anyway, back to movies. I'm glad for the recommendations for 9. I've been skipping over that even though I'm a(n) SF fan. So I'll give it a shot. Can't wait until Zombieland comes on demand! Wanted to see that in the theater but getting my wife out of the house is like pushing a rope, and she won't let me go anywhere either. That sounds bad. But yes, I'm a wimp. Anyway, I have a gigantic collection of zombie movies - all the classics and a bunch no one ever heard of. I have a boatload of B horror and westerns too; I just love that stuff.

Yesterday I bought a $5 DVD that has four horror movies on it, thinking they were gonna be nicely cheesy with crappy production values and I'd dig em. Well, I watched one - Bloody Mary - and it's cheesy all right, but great production values and a bunch of semi-naked women. What's not to like? I hope the others are as good. Got my five bucks worth already though.

Have you ever seen Beyond? There are zombies in it that have their eyes closed and there heads hanging down like they're sleep walking. I think that is a nice touch for zombies because it gives the appearance of them animated by evil instead of a virus or radiation.

I just saw Surrogates with Bruce Willis. I liked it.

Man I'm sorry but that does not sound familiar. You made me want to find it though. There has to be a site where you can get answers on stuff like this - a movie buff forum maybe? I've never looked but now you got me thinking...

I need to find a forum like that. I must see this movie again!

Have you ever seen Beyond? There are zombies in it that have their eyes closed and there heads hanging down like they're sleep walking. I think that is a nice touch for zombies because it gives the appearance of them animated by evil instead of a virus or radiation.

I just saw Surrogates with Bruce Willis. I liked it.

Going to have to track down Beyond Schizo, that sounds like my kind of movie. Thanks for the recommendation. thumbsup.gif I've really been looking forward to seeing Surrogates. We missed that in the theater. I don't think it's hit On Demand yet, and we have quit renting videos because we never freakin take them back on time. They gather dust until it threatens to bankrupt us when we get back to the store. We get way too distracted sometimes. innocent.gif So I'll be watching for that one too. Thanks man!

Here are a couple more

Movie-List Forum

beware, this one forced popups... jerks

Cinema Threads

this one looks kind of interesting

Movies Discussion Forum

There seems to be quite a selection of places to look; I just stopped because it's time to go get some breakfast at the cafeteria downstairs (cheap). Schizo, let us know if you learn what that movie is called, I'd really like to track it down.

Here are a couple more

Movie-List Forum

beware, this one forced popups... jerks

Cinema Threads

this one looks kind of interesting

Movies Discussion Forum

There seems to be quite a selection of places to look; I just stopped because it's time to go get some breakfast at the cafeteria downstairs (cheap). Schizo, let us know if you learn what that movie is called, I'd really like to track it down.

Hey if your into foreign Thrillers check out "OLDBOY" its one of the best movies i have ever seen! Also Survive Style 5+ is RAD!

Edited by ROOR

Hey if your into foreign Thrillers check out "OLDBOY" its one of the best movies i have ever seen! Also Survive Style 5+ is RAD!

Oh yeah man, I have Oldboy and a whole bunch of other Japanese harshness. thumbsup.gif Takashi Miike is not for everyone, but he has a rather special take on ... personal relationships. :D That's a good recommendation Roor!

Dave, personally I didn't like Paranormal activity. I rented Paranormal Entity after and it's like a remake of it from a different studio. I thought it was way better, more entertaining, faster paced, and more moments that were like wtf? Watching movies that are fake but pretend to be real don't really do it for me. I watched the Blair Witch Project the first day it came out at some local theater before I knew it was fake and that was f'in scary.

I love movies!!! I've seen a ton of pretty good movies lately: Zombieland, Inglourious Basterds, The Hangover, and many others I can't think of. I'm a sucker for Slasher horror movies: The Hills Have Eyes 1&2, Wrong Turn 1/2/3, Haunte Tension, etc.

NeRo9k (cripes, try typing that three times fast! :D), thanks for your very good comments. I know where you're coming from in a way and totally dig your reason. When I saw Blair Witch it scared the bejeezus out of me! :D I still have a little copper-wire stick man hanging on my wall - I made is sleepwalking one night, I guess. At least, it just appeared there one day...

Just Kidding! :D I made it on purpose, because I dug em so much hanging around in that forest.

BlairSticksSm.jpg

It's been hanging there a few years, there are spider webs all over it though they're hard to see in that picture. :)

I can't wait to see Zombieland; missed it in the theater. My son's a zombie movie freak too, and he did go. My wife and I went to see Inglorious Basterds. I liked it, Jeanie (a WWII buff) didn't think much of it. Anyway I bet you and I could trade a lot of DVDs with real happiness. :D I really enjoy movies. Running out of places to stack them.

I was taking Sukiyaki Western Django to a buddy's house this morning and dang! my car flipped out on me. Seven hours and $180 later it's good as ... it was this morning. Didn't get to share that movie though. Sigh.