Corbett Introduces New Anti E-Cig Legislation Again In Ca!

SB 882 (Corbett) Introduced 1/14/10

Tobacco: nicotine delivery devices.

LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL'S DIGEST

SB 882, as introduced, Corbett. Tobacco: nicotine delivery

devices.

Existing law, the Stop Tobacco Access to Kids Enforcement Act

(STAKE Act), establishes various requirements for retailers relating

to tobacco sales to minors. A violation of this act is a crime.

This bill would authorize action to halt the sale, distribution,

or offering for sale of electronic cigarettes that have not been

approved or cleared by the federal Food and Drug Administration. By

changing the definition of an existing crime, this bill would impose

a state-mandated local program.

The Sherman Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Law requires the State

Department of Public Health to regulate the manufacture, sale,

labeling, and advertising activities related to food, drugs, devices,

and cosmetics in conformity with the Federal Food, Drug, and

Cosmetic Act. A violation of these provisions is a crime.

This bill would deem any article that can provide inhaled doses of

nicotine by delivering a vaporized solution a drug under these

provisions. By expanding the definition of an existing crime, this

bill would impose a state-mandated local program.

The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local

agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the

state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that

reimbursement.

This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by this

act for a specified reason.

This bill would declare that it is to take effect immediately as

an urgency statute.

Existing law, the Stop Tobacco Access to Kids Enforcement Act

(STAKE Act), establishes various requirements for retailers relating

to tobacco sales to minors. A violation of this act is a crime.

This bill would authorize action to halt the sale, distribution,

or offering for sale of electronic cigarettes that have not been

approved or cleared by the federal Food and Drug Administration. By

changing the definition of an existing crime, this bill would impose

a state-mandated local program.

What a load of double-speak! What a freakin jerk. How in the world do you go from a law prohibiting sale of tobacco to minors to making e-cigs unlawful? That doesn't even makes sense. I read it several times thinking I must have misunderstood the context of the e-cig part, but if it does make sense, I don't see it.

Who is this 'wipe? And did someone actually vote for him before?? Does CA require lobbyists to register and its legislators to report donations? That whole thing just smells.

Time to start wrting again?

Who is this 'wipe? And did someone actually vote for him before?? Does CA require lobbyists to register and its legislators to report donations? That whole thing just smells.

Time to start wrting again?

She is the wicked witch of the west. My link Here is what she tried to do a couple months ago. :veryangry:

She is the wicked witch of the west. My link Here is what she tried to do a couple months ago. :veryangry:

Yes, and Corbett is proud of it -- even touting it on her website. Here's what she has to say about this new bill

It always "for the children" -- which sounds good until you realize we're "the children" in her narcissistic eyes.

In truth, this is just one more cowardly politician hiding behind "the children" -- like most terrorists do.

By the way, Corbett's Senate seat is up for election in 2010 -- and I can't find anything that says that she is running again.

I agree, looks like she is gone BUT Jerry Brown will be running for Gov and he also hates ecigs!! we are in for a world of censored.gif if he gets into office.

I agree, looks like she is gone BUT Jerry Brown will be running for Gov and he also hates ecigs!! we are in for a world of censored.gif if he gets into office.

I don't know that she's "gone" -- she'll turn up somewhere, she's a career politician.

As for Brown, I know that he hates e cigs -- and that's the least of the things wrong with Jerry Brown. If this State re-elects that lunatic, then California really is doomed anyway and it's time to hitch the wagons and get the hell out of here. (And I am a California native.)

If you look around at all the crumbling infrastructure in CA, that was the legacy of Jerry Brown's last governorship -- he took a prosperous State and ran it into the ground. If he gets re-elected, the only things left thriving in California are going to be spotted owls, sardines and him.

And I say that, while being far less than thrilled by any of the other current contenders for the California governorship from any Party.

Now if a judge has ruled that the FDA has no authority to regulate ecigs, how can a law like this mean anything. If, at the moment, the FDA has no authority over ecigs, how can they ban something that's not FDA approved?

Hmmm I'm going to have to really read into this law to figure out what's going on. There are so many conflicting issues here.

The thing to note is that this was written before the judge came out with his ruling. It's getting easier and easier for Vapor Talk to decide to leave California. (That's why Puresmoker left)To bad because they could have generated some much needed taxes from us.

Texas here we come...

The thing to note is that this was written before the judge came out with his ruling. It's getting easier and easier for Vapor Talk to decide to leave California. (That's why Puresmoker left)To bad because they could have generated some much needed taxes from us.

Texas here we come...

Husband has been trying to sell me on the Austin area. Looks nice. Prices are good. There's some life there.

Now if a judge has ruled that the FDA has no authority to regulate ecigs, how can a law like this mean anything. If, at the moment, the FDA has no authority over ecigs, how can they ban something that's not FDA approved?

They can do anything they want -- they are California politicians who think that the State is their dollhouse and we are just stick figures in it that they move around at their will.

But here is a better explanation of what's going on: It looks like the war against electronic cigarettes will have several fronts.

Wow someone pour water on this wicked witch and be done with her she's vicious.poor clai residents can't get a break no wonder the state is going broke with people like her in office killing any and every opp that comes along and it saving lives also. I am in agreement with Brian even if it was written prior doesn't it still earmark it as nonviable according to a federal court ruling Gawd we need lawyers to vape with us (:lol:) Chris Tn only has a 9 % state sells tax and no state income tax so it makes it a great state to live and work in why I chose to move back jhere from new mexico it got to taxing (pun intended) to live there you pay taxes when you shop thats gotta be a plus for you folks stil in the west and in cali.

looks forward to hearing an reading more to this one opts I have a supa soaker avail for MS. Corbet lets watch her melt as we vape !!!!

They can do anything they want -- they are California politicians who think that the State is their dollhouse and we are just stick figures in it that they move around at their will.

I think that's the best description of politicians I've ever heard. Right on!

Husband has been trying to sell me on the Austin area. Looks nice. Prices are good. There's some life there.

Yeah, by all accounts Austin rocks!

At this point I don't think anyone could pay me to live in CA. And this is supposed to be a progressive state? Cripes, Iowa makes this crap look like heaven and believe me - Iowa is NOT heavenly. But at least we have concealed carry and *** marriage and working on medical marijuana (it'll get passed some day). Still, they're haven't acknowledged e cigs yet, so I guess I shouldn't speak too loudly. They'd probably screw that up too. Politicos are not exactly the sharpest tacks in the drawer...

Edited by ddavelarsen

Yeah, by all accounts Austin rocks!

At this point I don't think anyone could pay me to live in CA. And this is supposed to be a progressive state? Cripes, Iowa makes this crap look like heaven and believe me - Iowa is NOT heavenly. But at least we have concealed carry and *** marriage and working on medical marijuana (it'll get passed some day). Still, they're haven't acknowledged e cigs yet, so I guess I shouldn't speak too loudly. They'd probably screw that up too. Politicos are not exactly the sharpest tacks in the drawer...

I was born and raised in Santa Barbra Cali, that will always be my home. Now i live in Austin Tx due to family issues and i have to say it is the closest i have ever felt to home in the state of Tx. I have lived in Houston Dallas and San Antonio, Austin takes the cake!

So are they only seizing suppliers shipments or personal as well?

I was born and raised in Santa Barbra Cali, that will always be my home. Now i live in Austin Tx due to family issues and i have to say it is the closest i have ever felt to home in the state of Tx. I have lived in Houston Dallas and San Antonio, Austin takes the cake!

So are they only seizing suppliers shipments or personal as well?

Actually, I always thought that TX would be as close to being home in CA, as anywhere. Native Californians are friendly, and Texans are too. Glad to hear that Austin is a great place.

They haven't actually "seized" anything yet here in California. It's just that they keep trying to pass legislation banning e-cigs and unless we want to make staying on top of them (and especially the WW of the W, Senator Ellen Corbett) a fulltime job, it's getting really tiresome trying to fight them.

The stupid thing is that here is California so broke it can't see straight, but Jerry Brown our AG has decided to spend serious money (that California doesn't have & can't afford) on suing an e -cig manufacturer. Who have e-cigs harmed? No one! What a moron!

Funny thing about Jerry Brown -- when I was a very small child, my Godfather was a political bigwig and Governor Pat Brown, along with his son Jerry who was in the seminary at the time (and should have stayed there), were regular visitors at my Godparents house. My Godmother still has pictures of me with them, including me sitting on Jerry Brown's knee. If I'd have known then what I know now, I'd have given Jerry a good swift kick where the sun doesn't shine!

Actually, I always thought that TX would be as close to being home in CA, as anywhere. Native Californians are friendly, and Texans are too. Glad to hear that Austin is a great place.

They haven't actually "seized" anything yet here in California. It's just that they keep trying to pass legislation banning e-cigs and unless we want to make staying on top of them (and especially the WW of the W, Senator Ellen Corbett) a fulltime job, it's getting really tiresome trying to fight them.

Oh i meant seizing personal shipments coming from over seas say to Austin Tx. :question::on2long: Everywhere has it's problems i mean even now Tx has to claim Bush.. (I know i shouldn't have gone there!) :withstupid:

LOL! Yeah, that's true! But you've also got Ron Paul.

HAHAHAH well i just lost it in the office and spit coffee on my desk, when my friend sitting next to me heard me bust out he had to read it to and almost did the same thing! Made my day! this is all to true!

HAHAHAH well i just lost it in the office and spit coffee on my desk, when my friend sitting next to me heard me bust out he had to read it to and almost did the same thing!

Oops, I sometimes have that effect on people. ;) But happy to give you a good laugh!