Nic Or Non-Nic?

Out of curiosity.... how many of you out there have switched from being a nicotene vaper to a non-nicotene vaper?

I am thinking about making the switch myself, but I'm not sure what to expect. Will I go into convulsions and have all kinds of bad nasty things happen if I completely quit nicotene? I love vapeing and am sure that I won't quit doing that for quite a long time and I believe that more than half my addiction to analogs was purely the physical act of smoking. I know health-wise it is best to stop taking the drug, but I'm kinda anxious about actually doing it "cold turkey". Any advice? Thanks in advance for anything you can share :>

Probably not the best member to reply to this as I'm in "nic rules!" category, but I would expect some basic physical withdrawal symptoms for 10-14 days if you go cold turkey. Beyond that it's all mental. I have some experience with addiction, and really what it comes down to long term, is conviction. There's some evidence that replacing one harmful substance with another that is not harmful does work, but there is so far little evidence to show that once the palliative is removed the former addiction won't reassert itself. Freedom from addiction really is nothing more than a decision that you make -- every second. (After a while, that can become a habit too, which makes it somewhat less in-your-face in my experience.)

I quit smoking once for five years, and next thing you know - I was smoking again. Just like that. Tapering off nic and continuing to vape at 0 seems to me a totally viable way to get away from smoking and nicotine addiction. One day all the hassle of vaping may possibly also become too much to maintain and one might slowly vape less and less, until it just becomes an occasional nostalgic practice. That's my theory anyway, and I'm sticking to it until I hear someone else's. :D

still using 18mg, not sure when I will take it down. You shouldn't go through any major withdrawl, but I would cut down first and see how it goes. I honestly think it will be easier than quitting smoking cold turkey.....

Good Luck !!!!

I can tell you what I'm doing, jj. I started vaping the first of October 2009 and had my last analog on October 13. Because I wasn't sure on the juices at first, I got 36mg nic. The next purchase I made, I got 24. I did just fine on the 24 and since I had the 18mg samples from Arno, I tired just those next. I did fine. I stayed at 16 and 18 for a few weeks, then tried 11 and 12 from different places. Again I did fine. I figured that's where I would stay since that's about as low as you can get from most places. Then I realized I could cut that in half myself by using VG or "doublers" from Tasty Vapor. So, just to see what would happen, I started cutting to 5 or 6. I did pretty good on that, but every once in awhile I felt the need for more, so I would use the 11 or 12 mg without cutting. That worked. But then I found myself only using what I cut back. So, just to see if I could, I cut back more to about 3mg. At first it was the same thing...I needed the 5 or 6 every once in awhile. It's been several days now I'm doing just fine on 3mg (or less - I have been vaping some 0 nic now, too). I figure I'm so close to 0 right now that I could probably go 0 all the time, but I still have quite a bit of juice with nic in it that I will probably continue at this rate for quite some time or cut back to 1 or 2 mg. I just can't bring myself to throw good juice away.

I did not start out saying I was getting off nicotine. At first it just seemed to happen. I was thinking that if I was fine at 24, why keep using 36. And if I was fine at 18, why keep using 24. It wasn't until the lower numbers that I wanted to see how far I could go. I don't intend to quit vaping, I still love it. But if it happens that I just gradually stop vaping, then so be it. It wouldn't be a bad thing to not have the addiction at all. Right now, I do believe I am vaping less than I did in the very beginning. But that could be because it was new, and fun, and exciting and I just couldn't quite put the thing down. Who knows?

FTJoe also went down to 0 nic. I think he did it much faster and had a few "issues" doing it that way. And I think he goes for long periods of time when he doesn't vape at all. But I can't speak for him. I'm sure he'll jump in here and let you know how it went for him.

So, in my opinion, I think it would be better to slowly lower your nic level and see what happens. If you can wean yourself off of it, you might not have any of the nasty symptoms. I know I haven't had one single issue or complaint. It's been as easy for me as quitting the analogs were by switching to vaping. If I was you, I would make sure I had a bottle of the higher nic while trying a new lower one - in case you feel the need for it. But it might work for you like it did for me. If it doesn't, it's not a big deal. You're still a lot better off vaping than smoking.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Out of curiosity.... how many of you out there have switched from being a nicotene vaper to a non-nicotene vaper?

I am thinking about making the switch myself, but I'm not sure what to expect. Will I go into convulsions and have all kinds of bad nasty things happen if I completely quit nicotene? I love vapeing and am sure that I won't quit doing that for quite a long time and I believe that more than half my addiction to analogs was purely the physical act of smoking. I know health-wise it is best to stop taking the drug, but I'm kinda anxious about actually doing it "cold turkey". Any advice? Thanks in advance for anything you can share :>

Slow is the way, there is no reason to go cold turkey if you are vaping, that is the absolute beauty of these of PVs. If you look at my posts you'll find me talking about it. In brief, and these are only my theories, the physical and mental addictions are two very separate yet inter-related beasts. Physical I believe takes 8-12 days to break. Mental could be forever, but take heart, so what if you pick up a PV device to get past it with a 0 nic juice? I was always scared of quitting as I saw so many folks quit for a year or more and go back. Why did they go back? They had the mental tug, found the only option was a cigarette, bummed one, bought a pack and now was physically addicted again. I know of someone else who told me the pull got worse and worse every day even after a year.

We all know nic is not really calming, like any addiction the lack of it what makes us jittery and having it calms us down (feeds the addiction). So my theory is like Pavlov's dogs, we got addicted to a drug and our animal brain has linked the ingestion of nicotine to calm us with the act of smoking. So when we feel agitated, stressed, or a true nic fit occurs, the brain says have a smoke, that has always worked in the past in calming us down. So while linked, I believe most of of our urges to smoke are the mental addiction. I don't believe the brain actually knows if there is nicotine in the vapor, just that smoking was always worked in the past (Pavlov rings the bell).

I started at 24 and made sure I got the hang of vaping but I wanted to get to 0. I also made sure I would follow my same smoking regimen to make sure I didn't get too much nic in my body. Then I bought some 18s, 11s and 0s, started mixing them in order to slowly cut down the strength. Say drop a few points each week. After a little bit I had the brilliant idea to go straight to 0 because I could still battle the mental addiction by vaping 0. Was okay for a little while, then realized I was raging and really couldn't stop, family cowering, etc. So that experiment was over. Continued SLOWLY cutting down the strength until I got to zero. I still have to say I'm a little jumpy but I was always a raging kind of guy so I'm afraid that might just be ugly old me.

Being a menthol smoker, I have the luxury of the really strong menthols simulating a throat hit. Was still a little disappointing not having the old hit but then the weirdest thing started happening even as I approached 0 nic, the mental queues stopped. I realized I wasn't having one in the morning, I stopped looking at the clock to see if my self-imposed hour was up so I could vape. I basically vaped non-stop when drinking (same thing when I was smoking) but then that dropped off, I think the brain kind of gave up. One theory I do have after seeing someone else's post here is weight gain. I think I turned to picking at food so I am actually forcing myself to vape instead of eating (as stupid as this sounds).

Also, I tell people if you are taking in nic, and you flip back to an analogue because something broke, juice gone, etc. No biggy. But if you are 0 nic, make sure you have backups, lot and lots so you never have to turn to an analogue. I could probably open a store right now with what I have, of course the joke on me is I've gone to almost nothing while waiting for my last big shipment of batts, attys and juice to get to me.

So perhaps this is just me or my type of addiction, everyone is different. My wife still asks for her stuff (or mine) on the weekends if we're having a drink, I can take it or leave it now.

I agree with Nana completely, even if you don't get there, vaping is WAY better than smoking. But if you can, take advantage of the PV tool as it's the ONLY way I know of that gives you the tools to still "smoke" and totally control your nicotine. Get the insurance discounts for 0 nic as well!!!

Apologies for the long post, figured I'd spell it all out...

Edited by FTJoe

My game plan is to vape til my ears fall off. Still need that morning analog tho SO today I ordered some 24mg and hopefully that will dispense with that morning one.

After reading about cleaning attys and all - and worse dead attys makeing one run for the analogs, I also ordred 2 attys.

I just finished one of the 2 3ml sample bottles that arno sent me with my order, haven't even touched the big bottle I actually ordered yet.

I'd done a calculator on one of the ecig sites and it told me I would need SIXTY cartridges a month at the rate I smoke, so I think I'll stick to dripping LOL.

Once I've got myself completely weaned off the analogs (Hopefully I am not dreaming, right?) THEN I'll worry about lowering nicotine levels.

All the research I did and I ended up with 18mg which seems to do fine except for mornings. And so I ordered. It seems that other than mornings I vape less than I smoked. So far. We shall see LOL for now GIVE ME NICOTINE!!!!

All the research I did and I ended up with 18mg which seems to do fine except for mornings. And so I ordered. It seems that other than mornings I vape less than I smoked. So far. We shall see LOL for now GIVE ME NICOTINE!!!!

Hopefully the ears stay on. I see lots of people playing with their levels throughout the day, that sounds like a good plan. It makes sense the morning would represent the time most addicts actually experience the worst effects of withdrawal.

I started with 18mg and have been vaping it since August. By accident I ordered 11mg samples from a supplier. I was going to try and change it, but I think this may be a blessing in disguise. So I will give the 11mg a whirl and see how it works out. I don't know if I will ever get to 0 but getting to 11mg would be awesome.

I started with 18mg and have been vaping it since August. By accident I ordered 11mg samples from a supplier. I was going to try and change it, but I think this may be a blessing in disguise. So I will give the 11mg a whirl and see how it works out. I don't know if I will ever get to 0 but getting to 11mg would be awesome.

Remember, if you mix the 11 and 18 evenly you're at 14.5, a slightly lower step down and you're not wasting the 18. If it's what you really want, get some 0 mix it with the 18 and you're at 9, use a little more 18 and you can be at 11. Again, just so you're not wasting the 18. I think what people do to mix it up is cool as well, beefy in the morning, then taper off. I was mixing all over the place but still ended up with juice with nic, I went to zero too fast which is unlike me as I'm cheap.

Remember, if you mix the 11 and 18 evenly you're at 14.5, a slightly lower step down and you're not wasting the 18. If it's what you really want, get some 0 mix it with the 18 and you're at 9, use a little more 18 and you can be at 11. Again, just so you're not wasting the 18. I think what people do to mix it up is cool as well, beefy in the morning, then taper off. I was mixing all over the place but still ended up with juice with nic, I went to zero too fast which is unlike me as I'm cheap.

Thanks for the information. I will keep that in mind when I get my 11mg.

Hopefully the ears stay on. I see lots of people playing with their levels throughout the day, that sounds like a good plan. It makes sense the morning would represent the time most addicts actually experience the worst effects of withdrawal.

I dunno, maybe the ears would be better off. They are pointy. The hair covers them tho LOL

I started in May or June of 09 at 24mg and I am down to 6-10 mg now ,it is going really well not missing it much ,my goal is to be no nic by end of Feb .I was going to take it slower but all the talk about potential bans made me speed up my program.I didn't want to get left high and dry in the middle of quitting.I may always vape no nic or plain VG for fun .

I've found in the week and 1/2 that I've been vaping that my addiction is very much mental. I ordered 3 bottles of 18mg and 1 bottle of 9mg. I prefer the 9mg and would like to cut that down. I used to smoke 1 to 1 1/2 packs of marlboro lights a day. I don't know if I didn't inhale all the way or what. I've smoke for almost 25 years. I know I didn't just play with the cigg. I did find when I would try to quit with patchs or lozenges or gum that my heart would race, I'd be jittery and I'd give up on quitting that way. I'd like to find out how to dilute the juice I have. I'm using the 9 mg the most and sometimes it makes me jittery but I like to vape too much to put it down when I should! I'm trying to use the 18 mg during the day when I can't "chain vape". I ordered a lot of juice and don't seem to be going through it as quickly as I thought.

Maybe you can cut back on the nicotine level in one juice bottle but still have a bottle with your higher level and gradually use less of the higher nic level bottle. Just switch to the higher juice when you have a craving for more.

Mark me down in the "nic rules" category too please!

I started with 36 about 3 weeks ago after being a pack and a half a day Marlboro Light guy.

I've got some 18mg samples from Arno, 24, and 36 in the box... but find myself not giving a rat's arse as to cutting back. I usually just get the highest level the vendor has.

Hell, I'm just happy to be off analogs at this point! I smoked for 18 years and never thought I'd be where I'm at today.

The last thing on my mind is to see how low I can go with the nic level in my juices !! :thumbsup:

Edited by DAYVAPE

Hell, I'm just happy to be off analogs at this point! I smoked for 18 years and never thought I'd be where I'm at today.

The last thing on my mind is to see how low I can go with the nic level in my juices !! :thumbsup:

As you should be, that is truly the goal. It always amazed me that I never really thought twice about how bad it is to light something on fire and then inhale the smoke. My body reminds me every day now how much better it is to breathe better, feel better, know my arteries aren't being chewed up like they were, blood pressure better, etc. Hopefully my body will cut me some slack on all the carcinogens I was taking in as well.

Absolutely DayVape. I am the same way. I smoked for 34 years! I didn't go into it with the thought of cutting down on the nic at all. It just sort of happened as I ordered juice. When I was doing fine on the 24 I didn't see any reason to order more of the 36. And it just went on as I ran out of juice. It was anything planned until later. I realized that if I got all the nic out of body, that would be good. Then if they outlaw the ecig, I wouldn't have withdrawal symptoms and would be fine and not resort back to analogs. But the nic itself has never been a problem with me and I am more than thrilled to be off analogs. For 99 days!!!! That's amazing for me. I in no way think anyone else SHOULD go down to 0 nic. I'm completely happy for anyone who gets away from the analogs and that's it. No problem.

I agree with you completely, FTJoe!

I in no way think anyone else SHOULD go down to 0 nic. I'm completely happy for anyone who gets away from the analogs and that's it. No problem.

Here here - and I completely agree with you!! The zero nic thing for me is more of a health issue, one of many I've ignored over the years. As I've said before, any amount we don't smoke is good, that's the key and the most important thing. So in case anyone thinks I'm judging, I ain't.

Having said that, I do like telling my no-nic story because it was my goal and I was able to do via e-cigs (and I believe this forum)!!!

Mark me down in the "nic rules" category too please!

I started with 36 about 3 weeks ago after being a pack and a half a day Marlboro Light guy.

I've got some 18mg samples from Arno, 24, and 36 in the box... but find myself not giving a rat's arse as to cutting back. I usually just get the highest level the vendor has.

Yay! I found my hero for yesterday! Cripes folks, I started having connection problems about this point last night and just gave up and went and watched "Paranormal Activity" (which is one scary freakin movie). So I didn't get to appoint DAYVAPE last night. But you're it buddy. unworthy.gif

Here here - and I completely agree with you!! The zero nic thing for me is more of a health issue, one of many I've ignored over the years. As I've said before, any amount we don't smoke is good, that's the key and the most important thing. So in case anyone thinks I'm judging, I ain't.

Having said that, I do like telling my no-nic story because it was my goal and I was able to do via e-cigs (and I believe this forum)!!!

That's a worthy position Mr FTJoe. thumbsup.gif

Yay! I found my hero for yesterday! Cripes folks, I started having connection problems about this point last night and just gave up and went and watched "Paranormal Activity" (which is one scary freakin movie). So I didn't get to appoint DAYVAPE last night. But you're it buddy. unworthy.gif

:thumbsup:

Hellz yeah!! Gotta love Paranormal Activity too!!

:thumbsup:

Hellz yeah!! Gotta love Paranormal Activity too!!

Whew - I was beginning to think I was the only one in the room who liked that movie. Happens to me all the time... :D If I have time tonight I might take that topic to the lounge. Maybe we can get folks over there talking about movies. In fact...

Whew - I was beginning to think I was the only one in the room who liked that movie. Happens to me all the time... :D If I have time tonight I might take that topic to the lounge. Maybe we can get folks over there talking about movies. In fact...

My wifey doesn't like scary movies, so I don't get to see any good ones any more. :veryangry: