Keep life saving electronic cigarettes available!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Krakkan - 9466 as of today!

I can't believe it! That's awesome!

There are some who believe a petition will do nothing... but I disagree! The FDA does have the power to look at social and moral issues when deciding on whether to remove a product from the market or give it a grace period until either something better or proper testing comes along.

No matter what happens, it will be nice that we will have this in our pocket with 10,000 people (and I think it will get there and beyond) who have come forward with their stories and support. It really does say a lot.

If I haven't told ya before JD... this was an awesome idea. peace.gif

PS: If you haven't signed it... Whatcha waiting for?

I know that several consumers emailed two members of the FDA and cc'd the Senate HELP Committee staffers with a link or a pdf to the petition as well as noting their own personal use of the ecig. Just to ensure that the FDA did in fact know there was such a petition. Of all I knew who emailed, they did receive a response back from one of the FDA ladies noting she had in fact received the petition.

It might not "make" public policy, but they are definitely aware that there are at least (at the time) 8500 people willing to stand behind the ecig.

I am sure you saw at one point on ECF the discussions back and forth regarding the FDA banning a drug that was here well before the FDA... and that drug was used for terminally ill patients on their death beds? Well after banning, some physicians solicited the FDA saying that this drug was used in serious cases and the removal of the drug would result in a very very painful death for all of those involved. There were far less than 8500 people involved in that one... but the FDA did reverse it's ban and is allowing the drug to stay available until something better comes along. (with approval of course)

There was also an instance with PlanB (the morning after pill) where the FDA determined, against the advisory boards suggestions, that adolescent women could not in fact make the decision to use PlanB in an adult way, so therefor, requiring it to be RX to those under 18. In this instance, they used social aspects to determine if "kids" would use it as a form of birthcontrol, rather than a last measure due to a possible "accidental" conception. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm109795.htm

Even though I fall into the philosophy that the FDA has in fact overstepped their jurisdiction in stopping the ecig (now, only for those who don't make health claims that is), somewhere in my gut, I have to believe there are rational people within the FDA who will take into consideration the 8500+ people who would be greatly devastated by the removal of the ecig. It will be interesting if/when a tobacco bill comes into law and Phillip Morris is sitting on that advisory board. ;)

Interesting.

Although I appreciate the moral values that the FDA tries to push, at the end of the day it isn't their job IMO. This country was not founded on one person telling another person what to do. If the FDA wants to slap labels on ejuice bottles stating "hey this stuff might not be safe" then so be it, but ultimately I believe it's the right of the person to choose.

Don't get me wrong... I completely agree. I don't think any government agency has any right to take "morals" into perspective. "Morals" vary from one person to another and well... we know which moral system seems to have the most money in the US.

Allowing the government to have "morals" leads to infringement on rights, and we see that quite often when it comes to Gay Rights, Reproductive Rights, Smokers Rights, etc.

But... the fact is that they do so we have to be prepared with the best possible argument when it comes to that fight and well... a petition is a good start and 9500 people, may be small, but hard to ignore. (hopefully)

PS... How are you up? Have you not gone to bed? Good lord.

With all the Issues on the site I haven't been getting much sleep trying to fix them all. I released the new version WAYY to soon. Plus I just love my Members :) I have 3 monitors in front of me and they are starting to turn into one :lol: