I Just Got A Call From Capital One

Check this out...

I have a Capital One credit card (What's in your wallet) and apparently coming in Feb a law pasted stating that if you are close to your credit limit and you try to charge something to your cc that will go over your limit, it will be declined. Now you can still charge it but you will get a $39 over the limit fee.

Capital One tried to get me to keep this option and lower my over the limit fee to $29 by saying "what if you need it for emergencies". Of course I have no need for this so I declined.

This really pisses me off that they want you to go over your limit so the cc companies can cash in.

Cya,

PS. I know keenan is gonna love replying to this one.

Over your limit fee? Give me a freakin break. This is why my wife and I are slowly ditching the cards and trying to save up rather than credit everything. It's just getting stupid. People had emergencies before credit cards...

Chris,

Your are so right. We are doing the same. We started a 3 year plan to have all debt paid off except our mortgage and car payment. And by then the car will be close to being paid off. We as parents also need to teach our kids the trouble you can get yourself into with cc's. I wasn't taught this so I ran up quite a lot of debt years ago. Learn from our mistakes.

Yep I agree completely. I'm also weening myself off credit at the moment. Cars are all paid off, so here's hoping they hold out long enough for me to set aside more money for another one so I don't have to finance it in a few years.

@Vacker - I have time for a long story - if you want to share. :rolleyes:

We have been slowly paying off our cc's, too. Still have a couple to go though. We close each account as they are paid off and don't plan to have any when we're done. We don't owe anything on our cars and are hoping they hold out for a couple more years. Luckily my husband is a good mechanic and can fix just about anything on them. We don't spend much except on what is absolutely necessary. I had a tough time paying for ecig supplies at first because of it, but realized if I just spent the money I would have been spending on analogs, we'd at least be even and could possibly be spending less later.

It's nice to know I have more in common with some of you than just the ecigs. I like this forum better and better all the time. :thumbsup:

Ok people. You woke up the monster ! LOL.

This is, plain and simple, capitolism eating itself. The pendulum has swung from satisfying the consumer, to satisfying the supplier. Consumer rights is a thing of the past. Its evident in MANY situations. When you go to the supermarket, and swipe your card, and in some cases even write a check, by the time you get home the funds have been withdrawn from your account. The bank knows the moneys there, and poof. Its gone. Now, how come when I deposit a check, it takes 3 days to clear ?. Ive had it explained to me in Bankerspeech gobbldigook. I dont care. Its wrong. Whats ggod for one transaction should be good for another. CLEARLY, the technology is there.

Last month, I had a wonderfully warm conversation with my Credit Card company, Bank of America. Times being what they are, I am always close to the max. This month, I still had 8 dollars before I reached my limit. BEFORE. I looked at my account online one day, and there was a $35.00 charge for "Over The Limit" fees. Whoa ! Wait a second, Im not OVER the limit. Now, this is when Holly was in the hospital, so I was in an unusually more chipper mood than I am on most days. So, I called them. After pressing 1 for english, then 4 other numbers to get to the person I needed to talk to, I explained " Theres a charge on my account for being over the limit, but Im not over the limit". The woman on the other end said " Ok, Ill take that charge off your account right now." I said " Thank you, but why was it there ?". She said, " Dont worry, its been taken off". Im gettin a little agitated now. I said " Ok, thank you, but Id like to know WHY it was on there. Was it an over the limit fee, or an " Almost Over the Limit Fee". ? Id like to make sure I dont make the same mistake " She said, and Im seriously quoting here " Sir, its been taken care of, is there anything else I can help you with ?".

I was absolutely speechlees. I know it sounds humorous, but that is word for word the way the conversation went. I caught them red handed charging me for something I didnt do. I got to wondering HOW MANY people get duped like this and DONT call.

I have SOOOO much more to say, but I gotta run out for a few. Ill come back later and finish my rant.

I've had similar situations Keenan and it's no fun. Last year, I was ordering some items from a site and it said to save $10 on your next order click here. I clicked the link and then checked my email. I found that I had joined some Shopper Discounts & Rewards. Since I clicked the link, I apparently gave permission for one company to send my credit card information to another and they charged my account. I did some research and found hundreds of other people that were in the same predicament. It makes me wonder with stuff like this and the credit card story how many people get charged for things they don't know about for a long time because they don't check there statements carefully enough. It's sad.

"We apologize for the inconvenience you may have experience. Legally, we had to have your permission to send the financial information. You may remember signing up to save $10. I’m happy to offer you the information to have the membership canceled immediately"

They think just because they can fix something, even when in the wrong, it makes it ok.

Okay, Keenan, I'm gonna sit right here and wait for you to come back. Can't wait to see what you have to say. I can kill some time while I wait by trying to add some extra flavor to some of my ejuice. I hate the credit card companies more and more and I have a feeling I'm really gonna like what keenan has to say about them. :innocent:

Keenan-

Veeery interesting...I have also had Bank of America charge me an overdraft fee when I was 35$ under the limit. I called and they reversed it, but there were other things going on so I figured that it was some clerical error. Clearly this clerical error is a whole lot sketchier than I had originally thought.

I'm very happy about the changes to the credit card companies...however I really don't think it's enough. I own two credit cards, one to help pay for college and another to pay for incidentals. I will NOT be getting another. Their greed has really damned themselves and they're losing a ton of business now.

@nana - trust me, you're not alone. I didn't listen to my parents about not getting into debt. Wish I had. I was doing pretty good not using my cards for a while, until I discovered vaping. ;) Anyhow, I don't remember if it was Citi or Capitalone, but one of them cancelled my card because I didn't have a balance. That was one of my 4 cards that I did not ever use, it was put away solely for emergencies. Ticked me off a little. As for eroneous charges on bills, VERIZON is really starting to Pee me off. First, they had some 3rd pary billing on my bill of $19.95 per month. My wife pays the bills and didn't notice it. I was looking at our bills one day and saw it, did some research and found it was a big scam. Paid that stupid thing for 6 months before catching it. I had to call Verizon to have it removed and to have a 3rd party block put on my bill. They said I'd have to call the 3rd party to get my money back. Good luck with that. Why the hell do I have to request a 3rd party block anyhow? Why would they allow a 3rd party to bill through them without my consent? :wtf::mad: Anyhow, get that taken care of and the next bill was fine. Then I call to have the inside wire maintenance fee removed. Another thing I never noticed was on the bill. Got that taken care of and the next bill was fine. Then, the next bill had the inside wire maint. back on it and $30 worth of internet servies that I hadn't signed up for (some games pack, security suite, etc). I've had Verizon DSL for over a year, why all of a sudden do they put this on there? Got the same response you did Keenan - "Oh, we'll take care of that right away." How did it get on my bill. "Don't worry, we'll credit you back for it." I swear, they just stick stuff on there hoping people don't notice. Such a friggin' scam! I HATE VERIZON!!! The real crapper is that Verizon took over Alltel in my area, so now my wireless is Verizon too. I was trying to lower my plan, but to change to any Verizon plan they say I have to buy a new phone. Total BS!!! I have two Motorolla Razors, only a year old, and I have to buy a new phone to change my plan! Are you kidding me!!!!! Did you not understand that I want to lower my bill??? I'm paying $140 a month and hardly use my cells. Buying new phones is out of the question!!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!!!! :wacko: Good grief! Sorry.

Oh great, Brian. Verizon took over Alltel here, too. Now we have to watch our bill closely. And we were wanting to lower or plan, too. We almost never use our phones either. Or very, very little.

Why are people so money hungry that they don't mind lying, cheating, and stealing to get it? And I'm talking companies here. I already thought they do enough of that by adding all the extra "services" and trying to get people to think they can't live without them and then charge them an arm and a leg.

While on the topic of phone companies, I used to work for "T and TA" or something like that and one of the VP's directly admited to me that they let anyone who has your phone # process charges to it :wtf: and if you do not catch it, tough. Although they will credit it back if it is within 89 days of the charge that you call them.