NET: what I need to know to make my own tobacco flavored e-juice...

fitzdevlin

In searching for NET (naturally extracted tobacco) for e-juice online, I’ve found that most recipes are sketchy, vague and fail to give the ‘newb’ a thorough understanding of what is necessary to produce a tobacco like e-juice that is safe and tasty, or that offers actual quantities of yeild.  Math?

In purchasing products for NET, my interest is in saving money in the face of purchasing small bottles of e-juice.  So I want to know what vessels, nicotine testing kits, and other such things I’ll need to make and explore recipes properly.  I also want to see ratios in online recipes.  Unfortunately, most of the recipes I find are some person’s accounts that lacks a lot of information.  Additionally,  most people use unexplained acronyms for important terms that are known to the experienced but not to the aspiring makers out there.  PLEASE offer useful information if you’re interest is education.  

So here is a bulleted list, which I will be posting to multiple forums, of questions I have for anyone willing to help me with a serious recipe:

• What containers, Ball jars, etc. should a heat assisted or cold steep require?  
    • What size should a cooking/cold steeping container be for a certain yield?
    • What size container makes sense for mixing the extract into a final product?  
  • Based on steeping method, how fine should tobacco be shredded/powdered?  
    • I smoked Drum/Bali Shag/P. Stokkebye’s hand rolling tobacco for 20 years and would like to recreate their quality.
    • If using a heat/reduction method, what protective gear will I need?
  • I would like to achieve somewhere around a 70% VG/30% PG final product.  Therefore, how much PG should be used for steeping, and how do I arrive at that ratio once the extraction is complete?  I have seen too many recipes that list ingredients adding up to more than 100%.  MATH people, math.
  • Time?  Clearly timing differs based on cooking/steeping method.  So, to best reproduce the smell/taste of raw pipe/handrolling tobacco, what is the best time to steep or cook?
  • When mixing a final extract, how much extract/flavor to PG, VG and nicotine (after figuring out the nicotine level of extract)?
    • What concentration/amount of nicotine extract should I order/use to bring my juice to 12mg?
  • Since I’m looking for a 70% VG/30% PG final product, what large quantities of ingredients should I purchase?
    • i.e. how many pints to quarts to gallons of PG, VG and nicotine extract does it make sense to purchase?
  • Finally, any recommendations of suppliers for purchasing bulk ingredients from?

I’m sure I’ve left important questions out, so if you entertain answering my questions, please feel free to offer more than I’ve asked.  Hopefully this outline will provide more vapers with the information they need to make their own e-juice.

Thank you all,

m

Hi and welcome to the vapor talk forum.

I can only speak for myself but I buy my nicotine from a local B&M so I can't tell you any method for it. That said for making your own tobacco flavorings, I would look to how to make essential oils or something like that where you process your own plants into medicine. Rosemary Gladstar is a highly regarded leader in this field and has many excellent books on extraction processes. I'm sure you could apply these principals to tobacco. Most flavor is 100% PG so the substitution should theoretically be the same as using alcohol or water.

I must caution you to try this safely and have your results checked by someone.

Good Luck :)

I think what you may be looking for is tobacco absolute, which a few places carry, but it is very spendy $160.00 for a 4 oz. bottle at Flavor West, other places probably sell it and the price may vary. 

Commonly only about 1 drop of Tobacco Absolute per 10 ml of juice is used.

Edited by FXRich