Popping Noise and other questions

Okay - I don't know that anything is actually 'broke' but Sean said to go ahead and ask away if we had issues or questions! Thanks, Sean. I think I'll just do that! First off, I'm brand new at this. Just got my penstyle yesterday from www.clearsmoke.ca if you want to know from where because their model number makes no sense to me. They call their penstyle a CS101 but I'm sure (well, hoping) that it is just 'their' name for it and it is a standard model.

Anyway, installed a coffee flavored cart I ordered (their 16 mg high nic), took a draw and ... holy crap! Choke, choke. Cough, cough. Kept at it off and on over the evening not vaping very much, just every once in awhile. Didn't take long before I started to feel kind of sick on the coffee stuff. So changed to the regular high nic cart. Off and on with good vapes/bad vapes trying to get the hang of things. Went to bed feeling kind of nauseaus and sore throat. Yes, I did read those two great threads that Kittyburn and Christoper (thanks for doing those!!) made on starting vaping and figure it could just be the usual symptoms of getting used to it? However, if I could just have your opinion on this - I smoke light cigs - 16 mg doesn't sound like much but do you think I should lower it? Hard to know how to judge that kind of thing, I suppose. Trial and error, maybe?

Today I noticed something different happening. Put new charged battery (took me awhile last night to think that maybe the reason I was having to draw harder and harder was that the battery was dying!!) and a new cart in the penstyle. All day I have noticed that I often get this crackling/popping sound now when I draw. Not everytime but most of the time. Is this normal?

Also how do you know when carts are done? Do they get dried out looking? If they still look wet, should that mean they still have life in them?

I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of how to take a decent draw on this and get good vapor so that seems to be working out. Mostly, in order to really enjoy this thing, have to find something that tastes way better and doesn't leave me feeling sick. I HAVE to get some juice ordered!!

Thanks for any input people. Especially on that crackling/popping sound thing. Could it be a bad atomizer already? I am finding that I like the penstyle and the size doesn't bother me like I thought it might. It's easy to hold and getting easier to draw on as I get more practise behind me. Gotta love those learning curves!

Edited by FisherPal

The cracking an poping is normal with a new atomizer, and you will know when carts dry up the filler in them will start to burn and you will get a horrible nasty taste in your mouth, yet another I don't use them. I rember thinking the throat hit was very intense when I started vaping as well don't worry about it you will get used to it just give it a day or two.

MOVED: I created a new topic for this post.

Okay - I don't know that anything is actually 'broke' but Sean said to go ahead and ask away if we had issues or questions! Thanks, Sean. I think I'll just do that! First off, I'm brand new at this. Just got my penstyle yesterday from www.clearsmoke.ca if you want to know from where because their model number makes no sense to me. They call their penstyle a CS101 but I'm sure (well, hoping) that it is just 'their' name for it and it is a standard model.

I've never heard of this model number before. To bad you didn't find us before you purchased. :(

Anyway, installed a coffee flavored cart I ordered (their 16 mg high nic), took a draw and ... holy crap! Choke, choke. Cough, cough. Kept at it off and on over the evening not vaping very much, just every once in awhile. Didn't take long before I started to feel kind of sick on the coffee stuff. So changed to the regular high nic cart.

This could be from a few things, either the liquid is of bad quality or your just getting used to vaping as it's a little different from smoking. Also the Penstyle tends to be rather strong. From now on I would order liquid from Puresmoker.com or Dietsmokes as I've ordered from both suppliers and can vouch for their quality.

Off and on with good vapes/bad vapes trying to get the hang of things. Went to bed feeling kind of nauseous and sore throat. Yes, I did read those two great threads that Kittyburn and Christoper (thanks for doing those!!) made on starting vaping and figure it could just be the usual symptoms of getting used to it?

It very well could be that your getting used to it, however if you continue to cough after smoking for a few hours, then something isn't right. That's not normal. What is normal is coughing when you wake up in the morning, this is your body now finally able to clean out your lungs of all the crap you have been smoking for years. However if you cough every time you are taking a hit on the e-cig then something isn't right. Perhaps try taking smaller puffs. Keep in mind with the ecig it's better to take long slow draws rathern than short big ones.

However, if I could just have your opinion on this - I smoke light cigs - 16 mg doesn't sound like much but do you think I should lower it? Hard to know how to judge that kind of thing, I suppose. Trial and error, maybe?

Well I smoked Marlboro lights as well, I smoked a little over a pack a day and 16 is perfect for me, although I sometimes smoke the 24 if I'm having a bad day. However only you can tell what's right for you. If you start to get headaches and nausea (constantly) then this is a sign of Nicotine overdose. You will need to move to a lower strength. If you do end up smoking to much, just put down the pen and drink plenty of fluids. The most important thing is to listen to your body!

Today I noticed something different happening. Put new charged battery (took me awhile last night to think that maybe the reason I was having to draw harder and harder was that the battery was dying!!) and a new cart in the penstyle. All day I have noticed that I often get this crackling/popping sound now when I draw. Not every time but most of the time. Is this normal?

The popping sound is very normal. Although you shouldn't have to suck hard on the Penstyle at all, it should feel a little like sucking air from a McDonald's straw. If it gets to the point in which you feel like you are sucking on a milkshake the atomizer is either clogged and needs cleaned (which is really bad if you've only had it a few days) or it's crap made. I've tried a couple of Penstyles, for me the one that popped and crackled and had a weird model number sucked. However my RN and DSE models are fantastic. My RN Penstyle doesn't crack or pop at all and it's a vapor beast.

Also how do you know when carts are done? Do they get dried out looking? If they still look wet, should that mean they still have life in them?

Once the vapor drops the cart needs to be change. It will last ABOUT 5-8 cigs.

I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of how to take a decent draw on this and get good vapor so that seems to be working out. Mostly, in order to really enjoy this thing, have to find something that tastes way better and doesn't leave me feeling sick. I HAVE to get some juice ordered!!

yes you do! The normal flavors suck! I also am not much for the coffee flavors.

Thanks for any input people. Especially on that crackling/popping sound thing. Could it be a bad atomizer already? I am finding that I like the penstyle and the size doesn't bother me like I thought it might. It's easy to hold and getting easier to draw on as I get more practise behind me. Gotta love those learning curves!

Your welcome. I don't think your atomizer is bad, however I don't think it's great either. Sorry if I have any typos as I was typing rather fast.

Thanks for the input everyone! After I posted this, I happened to come across a thread you wrote, Christopher, where you were telling someone else about the 'long, slow draw'. I've been putting that to use and it makes a bunch of difference! Much smoother!! Been watching too many YouTube videos where people puff, puff, puff, draaawww. Guess that's for the mini's or ones I hear about having to 'prime' or something. Anyway, your advice for the works great - takes a lot of the throat hurtin' out! I'll go find some juice to order, lurk around here for the next few days and refrain from the painful newbie questions. :)

On the plus side, much to my surprise have only smoked 3 cigs since getting this over 24 hours ago. And twice I lit up simply because I wanted a smoke that didn't hurt, lol. Wasn't expecting to be cutting down quite so quickly but pleasantly surprised!

Great forum setup, guys! I'll be watching and reading.

Don't worry about the noob questions your going to be helping people who view the forum in the future :)

Prime puffs are ok, helps get the atomizer going, I do that on my Penstyle, especially when I'm outside at night. Glad it's working out better for you!