Made a coil and it won't work HELP

Carla

I made a new coil with 32 gauge Kanthal A1 for my evod. Made it with 5 wraps, it came out a 2.0 ohm on the meter. When I put it on my ego-t

battery which is putting out 3.6v to check it, the battery light flashed for a split second, and nothing. I unscrewed it and the battery flashed 3 times.  I checked to make sure there was no wire tails sticking out that might causing a short. Still did the same thing. Tried it on another battery it did the same thing. So I made another coil and made sure the wires were not crossed as they went down the middle. Yes I put one tail inside the rubber grommet and the other one out side the rubber grommet. and then  put in the post. It did the same thing when I put it on the battery. I put a different evod on the battery and it work just fine.

I rebuild a lot of these coil heads. you must tuck any bur (wire) from both wires behind the rubber grommet. If it is not it can short or jump across to ground and short. Make sure you can not see "any" wire at all around the grommet If you can see the end, It Can Short! Also make sure the main part of the coil or a bent leg is not touching the wall of the coil head. They can bend on you putting in the grommet. Also, sometimes the grommet can get a tare in it and cause a short. These can be tricky, and even with all the times I have built them, it happens to me. Best thing to do is what you did. Just rebuild it.

I have rebuilt 5 of them and it is still doing the same thing.  I have checked all the things you listed.  They are all ok, no wire touching anywhere and no tears in the grommet. If there was a short, wouldn't it show up when I put it on the meter to check the ohm's?

Edited by Carla

O

It does it on both of the ego-t batteries that I have.  Only one evod that I am trying to rebuild does this. I have rebuilt others that work just fine. And if I put I back on the meter, the meter still says 2.0ohm's.

Edited by Carla

Are you rebuilding the same coil head and it is doing this or are you tiring different heads. I have had some heads that give me issues and I just toss them. Could be an issue with that tank. Do you have a different tank that the head will fit in? If you do, try that and see if it works. There may be an issue with that tank base.

I am rebuilding the same coil head. I put the head on different bases and it still does the same thing. I have tried all the things you have talked about. I thought I might be missing something.  I guess it is just a bad head. That is a bummer, it is only about a weeks old. It is the same one I asked about in another thread, When it was making that loud popping noise.

Ahhh ok... I would just toss it. Those coil heads are really cheap (inexpensive) so when you get a bad one it is no biggie to just toss it out. There other coils that cost the same for 1 as you would pay for 5 of those. I have had them pop (die) the first time I hit the power button. I have learned to check the coil out before I install it. I have had new ones that the coil is resting on the side of the head and fail. QC for those heads is on the poor to nonexistent side.

I did a write up on changing the wicks, When I get some free time I should do a video of rebuilding these heads. I know most don't bother with it anymore because they are so inexpensive, but I have rebuilt ones that last months when it is done right. All I do is re wick and go. Even though I use rebuildable tanks 99% of the time I still have a few of the KPT 3 tanks in my rotation. All have rebuilt coils. I only use the new ones in a pinch.