Another One Bites The Dust (And Another One)

Brian

For those of you following my newbie atty saga, you know that I went through 2 atty's in 7 days. Well, I've just spent the past 2 hours in hand-to-hand combat with my 3rd and 4th. It's now day 10 and the 3rd atty is dead. With no indication of a problem, in one fatal toke I lost all resistance when I drew on it, got a burnt taste with a big plume of vape. After that, draw after draw gave the same results. Ok, so put on my 4th (and last) atty. This one started off the same way #3 ended. No resistance, big plume of vape, but the flavor... The flavor took me way back to childhood. It tasted just like the smell that used to emanate from the inside of my Dad's stinky sweaty combat boots! Ick! New atty, right, need time to break in. No sir! I refuse to smoke stinky feet! :) I did take several more puffs, but the thing obviously wasn't working right.

Well, I had used all 4 of the atty's that came with my 2 510 kits, and the 10 atty's I ordered from VT won't be here until Friday probably. What to do, what to do??? Analogs? Wait - there's a spiffy new spade in my desk drawer, but that's suppose to be for Christmas. Hmmm. Perhaps I could just use the atty from it. Maybe. Yea, but what if it's my batteries or the UBS pass-thru that's making the atty's bad? Don't want to ruin this one too. What would you do? Just kidding - don't care what you'd do - I RIPPED INTO THAT BAD BOY AND I'M TOKING AWAY! AHAHAHAHAHHAH! :devil: Christmas came early fellers!

So how is it you ask? Divine. It took about 10 minutes before I started getting a throat hit, but now it's great. Been in vaping heaven for about an hour now. If the atty lasts my faith will be restored. In the meantime I'll be contacting the supplier to explain the 4 bad atty's and one bad USB PT. When the atty's from the VT store arrive I may try one of them on the good USB PT to see how it does. Just curious as to whether the PT or 510 batts could have caused any of the problems.

JeffB - you can collect on that side bet now! :) (although it was beyond my control - does that still count?)

I knew you couldn't hold out til Christmas!!!!! :D I would guess you got a bad batch of attys, but we will know for sure when you try one of the new ones you ordered. Let us know what happens.

For those of you following my newbie atty saga, you know that I went through 2 atty's in 7 days. Well, I've just spent the past 2 hours in hand-to-hand combat with my 3rd and 4th.

Wow bud, sorry you're having such a bad time. I don't know who you got your kit from but most reputable sellers will replace those attys ASAP. The VaporTalkStore has some of the best customer service I've ever seen so if you have any problems with the attys you have on the way, you'll have nothing to worry about.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with totally wicked! :(

I'm wondering though, they carry genuine 510 atomizers and even if they where horrible the chance of that many going bad in one week is pretty slim. Are you using carts? Are you direct dripping? If you direct dripping make sure there is enough liquid on the mesh of the atomizer. (Look inside and look for the bridge) If that isn't always wet you risk burning out the atomizer. The burnt sock taste your mention is a good sign that the wick isn't getting the liquid it needs.

Oh man sorry to hear about your bad luck! I've definitely had my share of bad attys, but 4 in a row is just terrible. I'm wondering if it could've been the batteries or the PT you were using. Let us know when you test it out with the VT attys. Good thing you have that spade though. Christmas might have come early for you, but at least now you know what real vaping is all about. And it's better than going back to analogs I think. The atty that came with the spade will definitely last you awhile. I've only had mine for a week now, but it's still vaping really well.

I'm wondering though, they carry genuine 510 atomizers and even if they where horrible the chance of that many going bad in one week is pretty slim. Are you using carts? Are you direct dripping? If you direct dripping make sure there is enough liquid on the mesh of the atomizer. (Look inside and look for the bridge) If that isn't always wet you risk burning out the atomizer. The burnt sock taste your mention is a good sign that the wick isn't getting the liquid it needs.

My track record with 510(Joye) atties isnt good either I have had 7 new ones with 2 DOA'S, not very good reliability in my mind.I have had 0 DOA's with other types!!!

Edited by SteveD1

For those of you following my newbie atty saga, you know that I went through 2 atty's in 7 days. Well, I've just spent the past 2 hours in hand-to-hand combat with my 3rd and 4th. It's now day 10 and the 3rd atty is dead. With no indication of a problem, in one fatal toke I lost all resistance when I drew on it, got a burnt taste with a big plume of vape. After that, draw after draw gave the same results. Ok, so put on my 4th (and last) atty. This one started off the same way #3 ended. No resistance, big plume of vape, but the flavor... The flavor took me way back to childhood. It tasted just like the smell that used to emanate from the inside of my Dad's stinky sweaty combat boots! Ick! New atty, right, need time to break in. No sir! I refuse to smoke stinky feet! :) I did take several more puffs, but the thing obviously wasn't working right.

Well, I had used all 4 of the atty's that came with my 2 510 kits, and the 10 atty's I ordered from VT won't be here until Friday probably. What to do, what to do??? Analogs? Wait - there's a spiffy new spade in my desk drawer, but that's suppose to be for Christmas. Hmmm. Perhaps I could just use the atty from it. Maybe. Yea, but what if it's my batteries or the UBS pass-thru that's making the atty's bad? Don't want to ruin this one too. What would you do? Just kidding - don't care what you'd do - I RIPPED INTO THAT BAD BOY AND I'M TOKING AWAY! AHAHAHAHAHHAH! :devil: Christmas came early fellers!

So how is it you ask? Divine. It took about 10 minutes before I started getting a throat hit, but now it's great. Been in vaping heaven for about an hour now. If the atty lasts my faith will be restored. In the meantime I'll be contacting the supplier to explain the 4 bad atty's and one bad USB PT. When the atty's from the VT store arrive I may try one of them on the good USB PT to see how it does. Just curious as to whether the PT or 510 batts could have caused any of the problems.

JeffB - you can collect on that side bet now! :) (although it was beyond my control - does that still count?)

you either got some knock attys, or it is very commen that by putting a new 510 atty on a high voltage devise will make them out of commision. If that is the case you need to break them in on your regular batterys first before putting them through high voltage.

I ran through a good number of attys also. I learned over time to just take more care with them, more liquid, less accidentally sitting on the button to activate the unit. : ) Don't let this effect how you feel towards vaping; hopefully, most of the future atomizers last you longer than a couple weeks.

hu, well I suppose you try to keep them moist. Do you know that I've NEVER had a 510 atomizer go bad on me? I've had penstyles die even 901's, and when I say die I mean they will not create vapor but I've never had a 510 crap out. Lucky I guess! :D (What I'm going to jinx it now)

Is the atomizer actually not producing vapor or does it just taste bad? If it just tastes bad then it means the atomizer is not staying moist.

Another thing to note, I've learned over time that some people like to test their atomizers on arrival, which is fine, but they do not add liquid they just turn it on to see if it's working. Then you hear a pop and it doesn't work. Sometimes not even a pop, it's always a good idea to have some unflavored liquid sitting around to test atomizers on arrival.

Actually, got them from , but didn't want to call out the supplier yet. I've only heard good things about Art and didn't want to bias anyone based on this experience. I haven't contacted them yet because I don't want to hold the supplier accountable for something that may be my problem. I'm sitting here trying to remember what happened to each of the 4 atty's and can't. Guess I'll have to read back through my post. #3 was working great, and suddenly when I took a drag there was no resistance at all. Just like sucking air through a straw. Still got vape, but tasted burnt and no throat hit. #4 started out the same way #3 ended. I don't recall if it was #2 or #3, but one of them started leaking really bad. I think I was doing a good job keeping them moist. I was extremely careful with #3. Since #2 went out I've been so paranoid that I've flooded the atty a few times. Whenever that happens I just put it upside own on a paper towel for a while, or roll up a piece of paper towel and use it to absorb some of the excess. Then it works fine. I don't know. I'm trying to be careful with my spade atty, but it's alreay starting to leak so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've got 10 atty's on the way and will expirament with them and hopefully get it right.