This Is How My Sunday Went

The day started out pretty normal. I got up, took the dog out and went across the street for a coffee. The weather is cold and it was snowing. I got home, checked email and got caught up on the VT forum. Got bundled back up, loaded the dog into the car and headed out to my parents house. I fixed their television, they have been watching tv with closed caption in Spanish for the past week. I helped my mom make up the bed in the spare bedroom. Pretty simple average start to the day.

My mom and I left the house with ample time to get to the airport. We were going to pick up my sister and 4 month old niece coming in from London. Took our time, the roads were slick and there wasn't much traffic. Made it to the airport and managed to park a bit too far from the terminal. Met my sister at customs and trolleyed the luggage out to the car. So far, so good.

Finally got back on the highway to find that the toll road was closed and they diverted us in the opposite direction. So we made a u-turn and picked up another highway and were off to home. We were not on the new roadway more than 5 minutes when the car in front of us went into a spin. This car was about 5-6 car lengths ahead of us and in the far left lane. I tried to brake but we were going to slide also. So I took my foot off the gas to let the car slow down and tried to keep the spinning car ahead of us. I moved over to right as far as I could to avoid them. I thought for sure we were going to miss them, but the other car took another spin and plowed right into the drivers side door and pinned us against the guard rail. I have never been so thankful for a guard rail. We would have rolled. The other car pushed my door in so far that I took a big bump. The people in the other car got out and finally came by to see if we were okay. I am glad to report that everyone was fine. The car seat bounced around a bit but didn't come loose and we all had seat belts on. The people in the other car had 6 people, 3 of them were children. When I turned my head and looked through their windshield I saw a bunch of heads bobbing in the front seat. I don't think any of them were seat belted in. They are very lucky that no one was injured or killed.

A C-dot worker in a sand truck stopped and helped the other people move their car away from us because traffic was not slowing down and the butt of their vehicle was hanging out in traffic. I was so glad, that other car was smoking up a storm and I was beginning to worry that it might catch fire. We still could not exit our car. My side was bashed in and we were still up against the guard rail. Finally an officer arrived. We sat in the car for awhile and then a tow truck showed up to pull us off the rail. We got out, the officer took my sister and the baby to a coffee shop at the next exit. My mom and I hitched a ride with the tow truck. The driver of the other car was cited for driving too fast in bad conditions and also got a ticket for not having a valid drivers license. They spoke broken English, but amazingly they have insurance. I don't mean that in a racial tone - we have a bad rash of unlicensed drivers with no insurance driving on the roads in Colorado.

We were driving a Jeep Liberty and the other car, I am pretty sure was an older model Blazer. I can not be sure because by the time they got us out of our car we were getting in another to get off the slick roadway. I am so glad that we took the Liberty and not my Impala. The same vehicle height saved us from any major injury. By the way, I don't drive my Impala in the snow, I drive my old Tracker with 4 wheel drive. Fun little car, you should try one out - great for 4 wheeling.

My brother, who is on leave from Iraq, came and picked us up. I surveyed the damage to my mom's car. The driver side was completely bashed in and it looked like someone dragged a huge can opener down the side. We were still over an hour from home. On our way home we witnessed another car, driving too fast and spin out. I thought we were going to relive another accident. Luckily the other person didn't panic and slid off onto the shoulder. We got home, had a bowl of soup and put my niece to bed. My brother drove me home and I made him stop at a liquor store. I just couldn't face getting back into the drivers seat. I am now drinking a beer and smoking an analogue as I type this. Sorry - but I just needed it!

This is what I am thankful for, no one was killed or injured. The police officer was very pleasant and made sure that we got to safety as quickly as possible.

My head is still in a spin, and I keep replaying it over and over again. All I can tell you is slow down when the weather is bad. Really, it makes a huge difference!

My parents had just paid off their car last week. Go figure!

Thanks for reading my story.

BirdDog, thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad to hear no one was seriously hurt!

It must be traumatizing for you, especially when you try and get back on the driver side. When I had my accident, I couldn't face driving afterward, it took me a good 3 months to feel comfortable again, even then, I've become even more cautious when I drive.

Enjoy that beer and cigarette! :)

I'm very happy no one was injured; and, thanks for the advice. I'm just about to head off to work in the first measurable snow of the season here in Milwaukee, so I'll be extra careful. Take care, and all the best to you and yours!

Glad to hear everything and everyone is alright. Material things can be replaced, NOT humans.

Sure it was a bit dramatic for all, and not to worry, we understand the use of an analog. But remember, we are here for you and again, glad no one was hurt!

as everyone has said glad you are all fine jussst a a safety remeber carseats cant be used after an acident. when u get a new one save the receipt the insurance will pay you back for it people often forget stuff like that

I am so sorry about the accident, but I'm so thankful everyone is okay. I know how some people drive in the snow and it's really scary. We got quite a bit of snow here yesterday, too, so I just stayed inside - comparing all my vaping equipment. :whistle:

I hope you're calmed down by now and that today goes a whole lot better for you.

I drove back to colorado from Iowa on sunday--not a nice drive--however the worst road was the e-470 going toward parker. I am glad you are ok--saw lots of cars on the side of the road on my way home.

Vaped a whole lot more during that drive.....

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I spoke with my family this morning and they are all doing good.

@Smokingman - the car was only 2 years old and has less than 20,000 miles. We are waiting to hear what the damage is.

@SteveP and Stubear - thanks for not getting after me about the analogue! Much appreciated. It tastes like dirt! :)

@Gazoo - thanks for the car seat tip. I will make sure to mention that to my sister.

@Nana - do you line them up like little soldiers? I hope you stay warm today.

@Kitsune - I use E-470 to go north from the airport and pick I-25. We were on 470 and they routed us off on to 76 east. I had to get off and go back west. The on ramp to 76 west looked like a ski slope. I wasn't going very fast at all and was remembering that the over pass and under pass are usually really slick. I am so glad you got home safe!

See you all on the forum! It is great there are such wonderful people on the board.

@Smokingman - the car was only 2 years old and has less than 20,000 miles. We are waiting to hear what the damage is.

I would like to start by making it very clear that I am not a litigious person. I would however like to tell you my story. My wife had a car accident a few months ago, she was the in front of a three car pile up on a rainy day. She and her car suffered injuries, a week later she lost her job and our health insurance. We have a friend who is an attorney. The person who caused the accident (at the time) was apparently uninsured, but the person in the Mercedes behind my wife and we were insured. My wife and the people in the Mercedes were transported to the hospital. My wife suffered injuries from the seat belt and her left (she is a south paw) arm hitting the door. Torn rotator cup tendons and bad bruising, she has had surgery on her arm and neck and has undergone months of therapy at our expense, not pretty. The car was not totaled but it was damaged to the point that it needed to be repaired for aesthetics and functionality of the trunk feature included on most sedans (joke here, the trunk lid wouldn't open and it was smashed). The doctor said that she had basically pulled her arm out of socket and then it snapped back in all in one rapid motion. Our friend, Frank, the attorney and I were having lunch when the call came from my wife at the scene, we were just right around the corner about 5 blocks away, so we went to her. All of that is beside the point. This is what Frank has done for us, our medical bills have been paid, our car has been repaired and we are a few weeks away from a check for the diminished value of our car which is now been wrecked and is not worth the value it would have been even though it has bee repaired. Our settlement is supposed to be about 5K for the car. All of this was done without going to court and having to sue anybody. our insurance rates have already gone up because of a no-fault accident that my wife was involved in even though our insurance company didn't have to pay out a dime. It turned out the the person who caused the accident did have insurance they just didn't have the proper verification at the scene. My advice to you if their insurance company gets horsey or if you want to recover the diminished value of the vehicle, you need to find an attorney that can handle something like this with the insurance company without having to sue.

Oh man what a story. Driving in poor weather conditions is definitely scary and some people just don't understand how to drive carefully. I'm nervous just driving in the rain because I've hydroplaned on the freeway before and spun out onto the shoulder. Luckily I didn't hit anyone and just landed in mud that I was able to just drive out of. Still scary though. Glad to hear that everyone is ok.

Vegas, I tell you what, if you ever get stuck on the side of the road, just call me, I'll round up Dave, Billy, John-Henry, Gary and Donnie-Boy and well load up and come pull you out, as long as you buy the drinks afterward, on second thought it might be cheaper if you just buy an new truck. But it's the thought that counts, right?

I would like to start by making it very clear that I am not a litigious person. I would however like to tell you my story. My wife had a car accident a few months ago, she was the in front of a three car pile up on a rainy day. She and her car suffered injuries, a week later she lost her job and our health insurance. We have a friend who is an attorney. The person who caused the accident (at the time) was apparently uninsured, but the person in the Mercedes behind my wife and we were insured. My wife and the people in the Mercedes were transported to the hospital. My wife suffered injuries from the seat belt and her left (she is a south paw) arm hitting the door. Torn rotator cup tendons and bad bruising, she has had surgery on her arm and neck and has undergone months of therapy at our expense, not pretty. The car was not totaled but it was damaged to the point that it needed to be repaired for aesthetics and functionality of the trunk feature included on most sedans (joke here, the trunk lid wouldn't open and it was smashed). The doctor said that she had basically pulled her arm out of socket and then it snapped back in all in one rapid motion. Our friend, Frank, the attorney and I were having lunch when the call came from my wife at the scene, we were just right around the corner about 5 blocks away, so we went to her. All of that is beside the point. This is what Frank has done for us, our medical bills have been paid, our car has been repaired and we are a few weeks away from a check for the diminished value of our car which is now been wrecked and is not worth the value it would have been even though it has bee repaired. Our settlement is supposed to be about 5K for the car. All of this was done without going to court and having to sue anybody. our insurance rates have already gone up because of a no-fault accident that my wife was involved in even though our insurance company didn't have to pay out a dime. It turned out the the person who caused the accident did have insurance they just didn't have the proper verification at the scene. My advice to you if their insurance company gets horsey or if you want to recover the diminished value of the vehicle, you need to find an attorney that can handle something like this with the insurance company without having to sue.

Thanks for the information, it may be something we might use. We do have a very good insurance company. I am not going to mention the name because I don't want to start a debate about companies. We are having some issues about getting the other parties information. We were not able to swap information because we were trapped in our vehicle. The officer said he collected the information and it would be available in the report. We are playing the waiting game now. I am just thrilled that none of us was hurt. I am a bit sore, but nothing else. I took the brunt of the hit. I understand about the rates going up. I also have my auto insurance policy with the same company. I am wondering if my rates will go up because I was the driver. That is a good question for me to ask them.

I hope your wife is feeling better and that she heals fully. I am glad that you were able to get your costs covered.

Oh man what a story. Driving in poor weather conditions is definitely scary and some people just don't understand how to drive carefully. I'm nervous just driving in the rain because I've hydroplaned on the freeway before and spun out onto the shoulder. Luckily I didn't hit anyone and just landed in mud that I was able to just drive out of. Still scary though. Glad to hear that everyone is ok.

Thank you. I am glad that your spin out only gave you a scare. Rain is no better than snow.

B-dog , Ive been a little busy and i think I missed this when it first posted. Im sorry about your mishap, and am thankful nothing happened to you. That is the most important thing. Whether or not your car or possesions can be replaced is not important. That you are safe and unhurt and still with us is. Good luck girl.

B-dog , Ive been a little busy and i think I missed this when it first posted. Im sorry about your mishap, and am thankful nothing happened to you. That is the most important thing. Whether or not your car or possesions can be replaced is not important. That you are safe and unhurt and still with us is. Good luck girl.

No worries. You had your own crisis happening. I am glad all has worked out for you also.