Making Own E-Juice?

halfadelic

Nothing wrong with vaping 100% VG, if you can handle the pure glycerine flavor... and it would make some great clouds :)

Most people will have to have some flavoring (do not use oil-based extracts), and flavorings are carried best by PG and/or water, so adding flavoring (enough to be able to really taste it), would cut your 100% VG. Even using VG-based flavorings are still not 100%, as they will normally contain a little water.

If you're going to attempt to make your own juices, I'd suggest reading several of the threads in the DIY e-liquid sub-section... you'll get good info on best flavoring brands, mixture ratios, and safety!

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I understand you could just Vape the Vegetable Glycerin. However, it probably would not taste good at all and you would for sure want to add some sort of flavoring. So something like Vanilla to say the very least. would be a good idea!

• 4 months later...

VG is viscous and does not carry flavors very well. It fact it mutes flavor. Most juices are some combination of VG and PG. I like 70PG/30VG myself . A little thinner than most today but it works very well in my Kayfun.

You can add a flavor extract like vanilla to PG or VG but make sure to read the ingredients as vanilla (by law) here in the USA must contain at least 35% ethanol which will thin your viscosity and is flammable at high concentrations in your juice. Make sure the flavoring does NOT contain sugar as many do (coil killer).

It would be prudent to spend some time doing your homework by reading others postings in DIY forums - just be cautious as there is lots of misinformation in these forums by people that think they know what they are talking about when, in fact, they don't have a clue what they are doing. I have seen some really stupid and dangerous recommendations over time.

Edited by Wong Numba
spelling

Making your own liquid is cheaper over all, but it is a bit time consuming. Buying the flavorings and supplies can cost a bit up front.  The DIY section will have tons of info for you. 

If you do decide to try making your own, read up on handling Nicotine.  It can be dangerous in higher strengths. 

If you use VG as your base and add flavoring you will end up anywhere between 60%-90% VG, you will not notice a big difference in the clouds of vapor.  I usually use about 30% VG because e liquids do lose flavor at higher VG amounts....still plenty of clouds

VG is viscous and does not carry flavors very well. It fact it mutes flavor. Most juices are some combination of VG and PG. I like 70PG/30VG myself . A little thinner than most today but it works very well in my Kayfun.

You can add a flavor extract like vanilla to PG or VG but make sure to read the ingredients as vanilla (by law) here in the USA must contain at least 35% ethanol which will thin your viscosity and is flammable at high concentrations in your juice. Make sure the flavoring does NOT contain sugar as many do (coil killer).

It would be prudent to spend some time doing your homework by reading others postings in DIY forums - just be cautious as there is lots of misinformation in these forums by people that think they know what they are talking about when, in fact, they don't have a clue what they are doing. I have seen some really stupid and dangerous recommendations over time.

Vanilla can contain less than 35% Ethyl Alcohol (including down to zero %)... but for it to be FDA approved as "Pure Vanilla Extract", it must contain 35%.  So, not "all" vanilla in the US contains 35% alcohol.

Q. Isn’t synthetic vanilla just as good?
A. Synthetic vanilla contains only one organic component – vanillin – the flavor and fragrance that we most associate with vanilla. Vanillin makes up about 25% of the flavor and fragrance bouquet. Because pure vanilla contains so many other flavor and fragrance components, it has a much richer smell and taste than vanillin does by itself. Synthetic vanillin just doesn’t compare with the “real deal.”

Q. Is Bourbon Vanilla made from Bourbon?
A. No. Vanilla contains at least 35% alcohol, but it’s sugar cane or ethyl alcohol, not that famous whiskey from Kentucky. The name Bourbon (pronounced bur-bone) comes from the period when the island of Reunion was ruled by the Bourbon kings of France. Bourbon now means Vanilla planifolia beans from regions other than Mexico.

Q. Why does vanilla contain so much alcohol?
A. Alcohol is the most efficient agent for extracting the flavor from the beans. Although most of the alcohol burns off in cooked foods, the flavor remains intact as the alcohol is simply the carrier for the flavor. The FDA requires that pure extract must contain 35% alcohol.

Q. Are there non-alcoholic vanilla extracts?
A. Yes and no. There are non-alcoholic vanillas but the FDA requires that they not be labeled Pure Vanilla Extract as they don’t contain alcohol. They are usually called Vanilla Flavor, are made in a glycerin base and usually contain as much vanilla bean extractives as extracts. They provide a reasonable non-alcoholic solution for flavoring foods and beverages.

Most (but not all) vanillas used to flavor e-liquids are non-alcohol-base or vanillin flavored.  I know the ingredients of all but one of my vanilla flavorings I use are non-alcohol-based, and I doubt the one that contains alcohol is 35%, because it is not labeled as "pure" and alcohol is last on the ingredient list.

Also, 35% (70-proof) alcohol is not combustible.. meaning it will not sustain a flame on it's own.  Try it... buy some cheap 70-proof Vodka and stick a lit match to it... it will not sustain a flame even if you hold the match to it.  100-proof won't even sustain a flame... (working as a bartender in the past, I can tell you it takes 140-proof or higher to set fire to a shot-glass of alcohol).  Also, the volume of vanilla flavoring is usually around 10% in e-liquid, which further dilutes it 10-fold.  Even with a 30% concentration of "pure vanilla" flavoring, would yield 12% alcohol content (or 24-proof)... most definitely NOT combustible.