Device Compatibility With Batteries of Various mAh

DirtyBoot

I am a n00b that is seeing batteries of the same type in widely varying mAh ratings. 18650, for example. If the device takes an 18650 battery, is there any restriction on what mAh rating that can be used? I see in the VaporTalk store that there are 18650 batteries ranging from 1600mAh to 3200mAh. How do I know which would be safe or preferred to use?

The mAh ratings are listings of capacity (use between charges), and have basically no relationship to "safety". 18650 batteries can be found in different chemistry, and each has their use, discharge rate, capacity, etc...

Here's the Cliff's Notes version :)

If you want long-life between charges, go for higher mAh ratings. One of the downsides to maximizing your mAh is you tend to limit your discharge ratings (peak and continuous Amperage discharge). THIS is where safety is gained/lost. If you are building coils or using devices 1 Ohm or higher, there is little cause for concern on the Amp rating of your batteries, as the majority of the ones on the market can handle loads down to 1 Ohm. When you move to sub-ohm builds/devices, where your resistance is 0.2 Ohms @ 4.2V (for example), your battery needs to be rated to handle a minimum of 21A. So, for sub-ohming, you want to maximize your Amp-rating first, and then try to find the highest mAh for your needs (for longevity between charges).