Catching up, and a couple of questions

spydre

Hiya! Been a while since I've been here, since I've had any desire to do much on the net, really.

Oddest thing happened about a week ago. You all may remember a little over a year ago, I got to where I couldn't vape any juice at more than, depending on the juice, 6 watts, or 3.6 - 3.8 volts without it tasting burned. All of the sudden, a week ago, that changed, and I've been able to crank it back up again, and that makes me happy.

Loved, loved, loved my VTR, but it's a bit of a heavy monster. Plus, the last time I dropped it, the little extender cylinder that fits down in the hole (that you have to use if you want to use a tank with an ego fitting) got bent, so it just looked a little weird, no big deal. But again, it's a heavy beast, and I started having trouble my left hand - trigger thumb stuff, but it got bad real quick this time, and where it fits in my hand is where it hurts to touch, and I'm a girl of habit, and couldn't make myself switch hands - I tried. So I got myself a Sigelei Zmax V5. Wow, so much lighter, and not NEARLY as much pressure required to activate, even over the VTR! So I'm a happy camper. But, I'm pretty sure I'm vaping more and going through more juice, because I'm holding it my hand more (well, I have a holster that goes around my neck now so I don't drop it all the time, but it's more convenient for me to hold more of the time than the VTR was), and if I'm holding it, I tend to hit it more. The Zmax IS a looser draw than the VTR was, but that was easily solved by going back to using the beauty ring with my Davide and my ProTanks.

But a question. With the Zmax, even if I'm vaping at the lowly 6 watts, I don't know if it's because I'm hitting it more often, I don't think it's because I'm taking longer hits, but the tanks get hot when I'm vaping. I haven't used the Kayfun 3.1 MUCH, just the last 1/2 hour, really, but that heats up, as well, just not as hot as the ProTanks and Davide. I don't remember this happening when I had my first Zmax back a year and a half ago before I got my MVP, but I it could be that I'm hitting on it more than I did then. Has anyone had any experience with this?

First of all... glad to see your back :)

At 6W, that is relatively low, but if you're hitting it often, and the resistance of the coil is high (> 2 Ohms), that would explain a lot. Higher resistance coils take longer to heat, and also take longer to cool down. If you're chain-vaping, the body of the tank will become warm, and tends to stay that way because the coil stays hot, longer.

What is the resistance of the coil you're using in your Kayfun? Do you have the same issue with your ProTank or Davide? What resistance coils are you using in those?

The Protanks and the Davide are all over 2 ohms resistance. The Kayfun is, I believe, 1.6 ohms resistance. The Kayfun heats up, but not as much, and not necessarily all over. I actually assumed it was because of the different make up of the materials. Glass gets hot REALLY easily, and the metal on the Kayfun is thicker than the metal on the glass tanks.

I think I'm going to end up getting lower resistance coils for the glass tanks. I vaped Cactus Juice from the Kayfun yesterday, about 1.6 ohms resistance, 8 watts, and later vaped the same juice on a 2.6 ohm coil. Even when I attempted to match the voltage output, it tasted almost like a different juice. *sigh* Now to break it to my husband. I have two and half packs of 2.4 ohm coils sitting here. We were just at a vape shop yesterday, and I could have gotten coils there for ABOUT what I would pay for a single 5 pack + shipping, but that was before we got the draw tightened down enough that I actually wanted to use the Kayfun, and could taste the juice. Don't want to ask him to stop at the vape shop in the town he goes to college in, since it's finals week. Maybe I'll ask him to take me Wednesday, when his finals are done, to get some 1.6 coils to try out.

I think you'll be happier with Kanger's 1.5 or 1.8 Ohm coils, and if your Davide takes Aspire coils, the 1.6 will be your sweet-spot, I'm sure. Moving to a lower resistance coil will heat faster, and they will not retain the heat as long as the 2.4 coils you're using now, so the body of the tank will not stay hot... yes, they will get warm as you vape, but they cool down faster. As for the 1.6 ohm in the Kayfun... I run my Russian's (nearly the same thing) at 1.4 Ohm and if I chain-vape them, they get warm, but not hot... and they cool down rather quickly. I think 1.6 on your Kayfun is performing exactly as expected.

I use my Kanger tanks on my MVP in Wattage-mode... and I get nearly the same vape from 1.5, 1.8, or 2.0 coils if I maintain the Wattage between 7.0 and 8.5W (using the higher Wattage for dual-coils helps with the juices I vape). If you are using Voltage mode (or a VV battery), I suggest trying a slightly lower Voltage with the lower resistance coils, slowly increasing the voltage until you find your sweet-spot.