Vaping for diabetics?

rlfracing

I need everyone's thoughts and opinions. I took my mom to a local vape shop today to get her started in vaping to get away from analogs. Yeah for her.

My question is that she is diabetic. I know the liquids are a type of sugar. Is vaping safe for diabetics? I'm assuming yes, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance

Rob

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. I am however, releated by injection to a pharmacist. Seriously, I guess I must be borderline diabetic as my blood sugar always tests a bit high and use glucophage (how to spell?) and since vaping to replace smoking nothing has changed either way, up or down. I think there is a discussion about diabetes on the forum that deals with medical stuff here.

I think there are two factors with vaping that might affect blood sugar: nicotine and vegetable glycerin. The effect of nicotine on blood sugar has been known for quite a while, and considering that she's already a smoker it's more or less irrelevant unless she winds up vaping more than she ever smoked.

Vegetable glycerin is more iffy. Nothing conclusive has been done, but there are things that suggest it may have more of an effect on blood sugar than typically thought. The variation in people using vegetable-glycerin-based versus propylene-gycol-based juice would explain the anecdotes of some having blood sugar issues after vaping and some not. This is largely guesswork on my part, of course. Still, you might want to use propylene glycol, or consider it if switching to vaping seems to be making things worse.

It will absolutely affect a diabetic. I know because I'm T2. It will affect everyone differently, some more than others. It is the VG that has spiked mine and my friends that are T2. I talk about it more in the Health and Safety thread on the board. Nicotine will also play a factor. I'm not Doctor just T2 user that has had to work the issue out with my self and friends. Though I have no study to back it up, I think it is because your lungs allow the glucose in the VG to enter your blood stream more quickly than if it were ingested. VG has been used for a sweetener for diabetics with no bad effects, but that is ingested not vaped.