Deer Hunters

Any deer hunters, or hunters in general, around here? Going Tuesday to scout a new piece of public land we are going to hunt this year after we lost our lease. Hoping to find a spot to set up my ground blind. I only hunt gun season not really into archery. My son has hunters safety the week before opening day and we are pumped!

We moved our camper to the camp last month...I'm excited to have the kids get one this year. My son's goal is to kill his first one running dogs, and my daughter just wants one with horns so it can hang on her wall. We are excited and ready to go!

I used to be. It has gotten to be such a big business around here, I can't afford it any more. The last time I went was in the early 2000's with my wife and stepson. We went to Mississippi. I took my .44mag Super Blackhawk my wife and stepson took rifles. I really only took one shot and shot way high (handload was different than the what the scope was sighted with) My wife never took a shot and my stepson brought home a doe (he just wanted meat for the freezer) It was the most fun hunting trip we have ever had. Now he is married, and we don't have the time or money :thumbsdown:

I hunt tight woods here in the mountains of East Tennessee so I keep it simple. Mossberg 500 12 guage 24" rifled barrel with a 2x7 Nikon Prostaff scope shooting 385 grain Remington Accutip slugs. Shoots a 6" pattern at 150 yards will never see farther than that where I hunt. Last year I got a 9 point that dressed 205 and a 6 point that dressed 180 and both were within 30yards. My son didn't want to hunt then but now he does and I am stoked!

For Halloween he went as a bow hunter and his mom went as a deer complete with arrow through her body, antlers, blood and all lol.

I hunt tight woods here in the mountains of East Tennessee so I keep it simple. Mossberg 500 12 guage 24" rifled barrel with a 2x7 Nikon Prostaff scope shooting 385 grain Remington Accutip slugs. Shoots a 6" pattern at 150 yards will never see farther than that where I hunt. Last year I got a 9 point that dressed 205 and a 6 point that dressed 180 and both were within 30yards. My son didn't want to hunt then but now he does and I am stoked!

For Halloween he went as a bow hunter and his mom went as a deer complete with arrow through her body, antlers, blood and all lol.

That is simular to the type hunting we did in Mississippi. It was a nice place that belonged to one of the pilots that used to fly for us. It was not many acres (by our standards here in the flat land) but it was dense pine trees, and had a beautiful creek that ran through it.

The hunting closest to me that we did most of our lives is in the rugged mesquite trees that is dry and ugly. It is longer shots most people use the larger deer rifles. My 2 are not so great by today's standards both are 700 Remingtons a .243 and a .270.

When hunting turned from fun to a major business I never got to go. Leases in the 80's and 90's with a group would only run $300-$400 a year. We were in a group of 4 families and that was for Deer/Hog on about 1200 acres. It was great. The same ranch sold to a Dr in Dallas and it is now a $5000 & up per gun "hunting experience" they are guided, guaranteed hunts, they don't even run cattle on it anymore.

But like most of my past hobbies, it just got too expensive, and I lost interest. I am in the stage of life (as are you, I think we are the same age) where I should be slowing down and enjoying a bit. I shouldn't be working 60+ hours a week and gone from home more than half of the time. I have just allowed myself to get upside down, in life, and now I don't have a choice. My poor wife is 53 with terrible rheumatoid arthritis and needs to retire, or get on disability. The reality of the situation is that it won't happen because we could never afford it!

Sorry for going dark there! Ever time I think of fun, I get knocked back into the reality I have built for myself...lol

Season fir me starts Saturday I hunt in a small town about 45 minutes north of the cities in Minnesota awesome deer running around there last year I dropped a 180 pound 8 pointer within the first hour of the season and a 150 pound doe the next day at the same time my brother got a 130 pound doe we were sitting maybe a quarter of a mile apart and never heard each other shoot it was so windy.