Vaping and water retention

This seems like a good place to ask this. I've been vaping for almost a month, now, with the goal of quitting the stinkies. I have a not-so-good heart, and I've noticed that I seem to need a diuretic (water pill) a lot more often, now. I'm also putting on the water in my feet/lower ankles, which is unusual for me. It may not be the vaping at all, but I noticed that when I vape a lot, it seems to be worse.

I was wondering if there's anyone else out there who's heart-challenged and has run into this. Should I try high PG/VG? Increase my VG content? Is it something else that my system will get used to?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You have to drink lots of water. Dehydration can cause edema and vaping dehydrates you pretty bad. I can't say that's your issue but it was for me when I started. I never took a diuretic or anything but until I upped my fluid intake my ankles and hands would swell a lot especially if I was in the sun a lot.

Yep, I retain water too. I drink about 6 to 8 bottles of water a day. Water is very good for our bodies for all kinds of reasons but it should go out as fast as it goes in and I don't know why but since I started vaping I have noticed I am retaining a lot of fluid and I don't have any diuretics prescribed to help get rid of it.

I've had congestive heart failure a few times, been hospitalized on restricted fluids and basically turned into a prune. I'm not seeing any signs of dehydration (no tenting, dark urine & such). I try to drink enough to avoid dry mouth, but my cardiologist is sitting on my shoulder shouting repeatedly into my ear, "Watch your salt and fluid intake," so it's hard for me to trust the process and just drink more water. The only weird symptom is that water piling up in my feet/lower ankles.

I'll give it a shot, overcome my fear, and try to drink more water.

Patricia, wish I could help. Have you talked to your doctor?

• 2 weeks later...

HI I don't have any heart issues, however, I notice that I get swelling ANY time I vape my e-cig. I have a lot of food sensativities that result in puffiness and bloating, so I belive that my swelling comes from just general allergies to the additives and flavoring in the liquid.

Since then I have to make sure I drink a lot of water and really flush my system to feel normalized again. If what your experiencing is very serious I would stop and talk to your doctor about alternative ways to quit smoking - putting your heart and body at more risk isn't worth it. Any sort of negative reaction isn't a good reaction.

I hope that helps :yes

Actually, I did talk to my cardiologist about it. I wasn't really concerned, but I figured I'd better bring it to his attention. He's mystified as well but agrees that it probably has to do w/ the PG and/or VG. When he found out that I was cutting the # of cigarettes I smoke by vaping 0 nic, he was all for it. He's not so much for my greatly increasing my water intake and would rather I just react to any signs of dehydration.

I'd like to go to 100% vaping, but I'll just have to work my way to it. It doesn't seem as bad as it was before, so maybe my system is getting used to it. I have his blessing, so I'm gonna keep on truckin'.