Diy Usb Passthrough

GDub

I found some 801 battery connectors/threads - http://www.heaven-gifts.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=367&productname=

So I was thinking just a USB cable, a pushbutton switch, one of those battery connectors, and some kind of housing and you have you own DIY 5V PT, anyone see any problems with that? I have like 3 or 4 of those AC Wall adapters that kick out to USB sitting around anyway, so seems to me this is almost too easy not to try.

Thoughts...?

I say go for it! If you have a volt meter to check the power supply, all the better. I feel the worst you can do is toast and atty. I ordered 5 batt connectors from heaven-gifts already. I work on cars for a living and this is not much different. The way I see it, power supply,switch,atty, you have vapor. now you just have to put in a nice case. :D

• 2 months later...

That is pretty much all there is to it.I like the ciggerette lighter charger adapters for cell phones to use as housings.I get them at Goodwill for $1.99 ,they fit the bill nicely and are cheap enough if you mess it up just get another and try again.

be sure to use the correct amperage. I'm thinking about using a dc transformer that says 6v 1.8 amp. I won't know till I try but it should work. 2 amp is what you want(2000ma) and 5 volt would probably be better. There is a point where you could burn the e-juice. If this happens you mod is to powerfull and try again. Alot of car adapters are 500ma or half an amp and these won't work that well even at 5 volts.

be sure to use the correct amperage. I'm thinking about using a dc transformer that says 6v 1.8 amp. I won't know till I try but it should work. 2 amp is what you want(2000ma) and 5 volt would probably be better. There is a point where you could burn the e-juice. If this happens you mod is to powerfull and try again. Alot of car adapters are 500ma or half an amp and these won't work that well even at 5 volts.

I could be wrong about power and amperage, I just read where 510 attys are rated for between 4 + 5 watts. I don't know exactly how to figure this all out. I do know that voltage isn't everything. Anyone who can expain better please do.

• 3 weeks later...

to get watts you take amps*volts=watts so 5 watts/2 amps = 2.5 volts id say for 5v it would be 10 watts 2*5=10 but t 2 amps for best power results, you cant 'force" amps through, they willl take wha they need, so if u used a 5 amp 5 volt adapter you would get 5 volts still and no harm done