Rebuilding Atomizer problems need advice on a shortcut

Drewet88

Slightly long post summary of questions at the bottom....

So after many attempts at rebuilding a protank coil I started getting the hang of it but I continue to have a few problems. My voltage jumps around on the ones I get to actually read a voltage, and I still either wrap the wire to tight or to loose. (I'm using 32 AWG Kanthal wire and 2.5mm silica wick). I only ordered a few feet of both and after all my mistakes I'm our of wire (still have plenty of wick). I can't find a local supplier for either yet so I was searching online and found kits that are ready to use on fasttech.

Has anyone ever bought goonk brand rebuildable atomizers from fasttech sku # 1464502?

It is 50 replacement wicks with the wire already wrapped around it for the price of what I pay for 1 replacement coil locally. They say 2.0 ohm, silica wick, and nickel-chromium wire (it doesn't state the gauge of the wire). I have no experience with that type of wire but the reviews are good but I trust the opinion of the people on this forum more.

If it is a good option I may just order 2 packs, I'm also ordering another battery from them and possibly more wire and wick to continue trying to build my own. I'm currently vaping on a coil I built but I choked the wick and had to turn the rubber grommet upside down to allow enough juice to the wick to not get a burning taste but it doesn't have the flavor I would expect from a new coil and I really want to taste my new flavors.

Summary.....

I suck at building coils.

The product I'm looking at is on the fast tech website SKU #1464502.

I'll be wasting another $10 tomorrow to buy a couple of coils.

If it is a good item to purchase it will also be xmas gifts for a few friends so they don't have to continue to buy coils as well.

If no one has any idea about them I"ll purchase them and let the forums know about my experience whenever they arrive.

EDIT: I'm using a lava tube and the batteries it came with are 18650v. On the website they have 18650v and 18650vv I'm guessing the vv means variable voltage, which I do believe the lava tube is, should I purchase the v or the vv?

Thanks in advance

~Drew~

Edited by Drewet88

I am not too sure why so many people are trying to build coils. The price on this stuff is so low and the quality and consistency from the mainstream suppliers is simply amazing for the low cost . When you smoked did you grow and process your own tobacco? There is a hobby aspect to this but that just requires trial and error and even wasting some money on failed attempts. The same can be said for DIY liquid. Try to just kick back and enjoy some tasty liquid for a spell and it will be allright.

Slightly long post summary of questions at the bottom....

So after many attempts at rebuilding a protank coil I started getting the hang of it but I continue to have a few problems. My voltage jumps around on the ones I get to actually read a voltage, and I still either wrap the wire to tight or to loose. (I'm using 32 AWG Kanthal wire and 2.5mm silica wick). I only ordered a few feet of both and after all my mistakes I'm our of wire (still have plenty of wick). I can't find a local supplier for either yet so I was searching online and found kits that are ready to use on fasttech.

Has anyone ever bought goonk brand rebuildable atomizers from fasttech sku # 1464502?

It is 50 replacement wicks with the wire already wrapped around it for the price of what I pay for 1 replacement coil locally. They say 2.0 ohm, silica wick, and nickel-chromium wire (it doesn't state the gauge of the wire). I have no experience with that type of wire but the reviews are good but I trust the opinion of the people on this forum more.

If it is a good option I may just order 2 packs, I'm also ordering another battery from them and possibly more wire and wick to continue trying to build my own. I'm currently vaping on a coil I built but I choked the wick and had to turn the rubber grommet upside down to allow enough juice to the wick to not get a burning taste but it doesn't have the flavor I would expect from a new coil and I really want to taste my new flavors.

Summary.....

I suck at building coils.

The product I'm looking at is on the fast tech website SKU #1464502.

I'll be wasting another $10 tomorrow to buy a couple of coils.

If it is a good item to purchase it will also be xmas gifts for a few friends so they don't have to continue to buy coils as well.

If no one has any idea about them I"ll purchase them and let the forums know about my experience whenever they arrive.

EDIT: I'm using a lava tube and the batteries it came with are 18650v. On the website they have 18650v and 18650vv I'm guessing the vv means variable voltage, which I do believe the lava tube is, should I purchase the v or the vv?

Thanks in advance

~Drew~

Don't buy batteries from Fast Tech, It will delay your order and may get sent back to Fast Tech. I find the coils you mention to be sub par. If your having trouble with building coils just buy the KPT replacement heads they are cheap. They are much better than wick and wire ones you mentioned. I get those with the rebuildables I have and they are just junk.

I am not too sure why so many people are trying to build coils. The price on this stuff is so low and the quality and consistency from the mainstream suppliers is simply amazing for the low cost . When you smoked did you grow and process your own tobacco? There is a hobby aspect to this but that just requires trial and error and even wasting some money on failed attempts. The same can be said for DIY liquid. Try to just kick back and enjoy some tasty liquid for a spell and it will be allright.

There are some of us that just have to do it for the sake of the experience. Most people yes should just grab and vape. I grew up wanting to see how something works, recreate it, rebuild it. For me it is more than just a hobby it is relaxing and satisfying. Without DIY we wouldn't be Vaping at all. It is getting in a creating something that didn't exist before or making it better. Most Juice makers started by doing DIY. Don't sell the DIYers short. ;)

And yes I was one that looked into growing my own tobacco, I just found that it wasn't my cup-o-tea and bought Camels. People just need to know their limits and stop when they get in over their head.

I wish I could've grown my own, I would've saved so much money (which I have little of) and wasted some extra time (which I have to much of). I don't know where you're getting your amazing quality from but I wish I was there lol. I haven't tried DIY liquid yet but I did plan on it one day... I don't know what it is but I feel bad when I throw away a used coil knowing it could be salvaged and reused. With my new current coil I'm enjoying some tasty honeydew and life is good, until my anatomy final Wednesday....

Don't buy batteries from Fast Tech, It will delay your order and may get sent back to Fast Tech. I find the coils you mention to be sub par. If your having trouble with building coils just buy the KPT replacement heads they are cheap. They are much better than wick and wire ones you mentioned. I get those with the rebuildables I have and they are just junk.

There are some of us that just have to do it for the sake of the experience. Most people yes should just grab and vape. I grew up wanting to see how something works, recreate it, rebuild it. For me it is more than just a hobby it is relaxing and satisfying. Without DIY we wouldn't be Vaping at all. It is getting in a creating something that didn't exist before or making it better. Most Juice makers started by doing DIY. Don't sell the DIYers short. ;)

And yes I was one that looked into growing my own tobacco, I just found that it wasn't my cup-o-tea and bought Camels. People just need to know their limits and stop when they get in over their head.

Good to know about the batteries, I didn't order anything from them yet, I'll just grab batteries from a local supplier. I buy the replacement heads I seem to have bad luck with them. About 1/3rd of them do not work out of the box, sometimes the store honors a replacement sometimes they don't it just depends on the employee working at the time. I just purchased a 5 pack and so far so good and delicious.

I'll keep trying to build my own coils because I heard many people say they get more flavor after a little trial and error to find that sweet spot. That and I'm accumulating a lot of dead coils in a jar that I can't bring myself to throw away.

Thanks again. O and the 5 pack cost me $15 a way better deal, I'm glad I checked out the new vapor spot but I don't think they're KPT heads because they don't say the ohms on the side like the others I've purchased but they work.

EDIT: they're EVOD heads not KPT. I think I'll just order replacement heads online instead of the store since my local shops seem to be expensive for coils and juice. I already order all my flavors online it's only a few more clicks to add on coils..

Edited by Drewet88

Fast Tech has authentic KPT coil heads for $5.85 a 5 pk 1.5 ohm, 1.8 ohm, 2.5 ohm versions. With practice coils are easy to make. Check out the in the General e Cig Discussion it will help you a lot. It is simple and easy to follow.

I have bought the KPT coils from Fast Tech they are the originals. I have yet to use any, haven't need to, but yeah they are Originals.

Edited by Compenstine

Fast Tech has authentic KPT coil heads for $5.85 a 5 pk 1.5ohm 1.8ohm 2.5ohm versions. With practice coils are easy to make. Check out the in the General e Cig Discussion it will help you a lot. It is simple and easy to follow.

Thanks I just noticed that and have ordered a pack of 1.8ohm, I'll keep practicing and thanks for the link I'm doing the steps right I just have stupid fingers and either make the coils to loose or too tight but I'll get it down soon enough. I'll just start going slower and try and be more careful. Maybe I can just make them loose and buy 1mm wick to use as a flavor wick.

I'm starting to think my local shop is hustling its customers but they are more geared towards other smoking items and not vaping supplies. They get their juices from ECBlend and mark up the price a lot and the other one that is a real vape store makes their own juices but they have a small selection of flavors and they are always out of the 2 or 3 flavors that I do like, but they're always willing to mix up a batch for pickup if I'm willing to wait a day or two. There's a couple of shops that I haven't tried yet so I might have to make a trip and check them out.

Try wrapping your coil around a jewelers screwdriver not sure on the size atm just match it up with you wick size. It will help you make a tighter coil once you make the coil you just thread your wick like a needle.

B&Ms always charge more because they have more bills than an online store. I know I co owned a B&M computer store. ;) It is a matter of convenience too. You won't have to wait for things to be mailed. Fast Tech can take up to 4 weeks to get your stuff. Just make sure you are not in a hurry for what you order from them.

Always glad to help. Hang in there you'll start wondering why it seemed so hard after a while ;)

Edited by Compenstine

True. I know they have more bills to pay with all the merchandise, electricity, employees etc. to pay. Unfortunately I haven't found a local place for wire and they say they won't carry wire or wick anytime soon if ever. They also have something against mods around here (they say its a fad) and no one carries them yet.

I'll keep at it, I found some sewing needles so next time I'll try and use one of those. I don't think I'm leaving enough room for the wick to expand so I'm choking out the coil, but I might grab one of the loose ones I built and see how it does with an extra piece of wick on top.

It doesn't help that my preferences have changed, at first I wanted more throat hit to help simulate analogs now I want vapor clouds and flavor, I'm getting the clouds I want just not the flavor. I'm sure after a little more practice I'll find that sweet spot.

~Drew~

I just reread your post I understand what you mean now. Make the coil and THEN feed the wick through the coil that's a genius idea. I'll definitely try that next time, I'm sure I can find something to use that's close to my wick size. Play be a small crochet or knitting needle will work if they make them small enough, it would even have a small hook to pull the wick through. Thanks again I really wish I had the material to try right now.

Edited by Drewet88

Definitely worth a shot. Seems they have some good feedback from users and at 14¢ a peice if nothing elso you'll have a lot of wick to use.

and nickel-chromium wire (it doesn't state the gauge of the wire). I have no experience with that type of wire

All China atties/cartos use that as does the Master atty designer, Cisco, from AvidVapor.

I know its late but thanks for the post. I ordered the kit on the 4th since it was so cheap and I wanted to give it a try. I'm still waiting on it to come but when it does I was going to update this thread with my opinion on it. If its good I'll probably order a few more of them so I don't have to wait for shipping when I start running low.

I also used Compenstines advice and was able to make a very good 2.1 coil with it. I'm sure with practice it will get much easier and not take 10 minutes.

I'm in a good place now; finally figured out how to build a coil, took advantage of the Black Friday sale on ecblends (good supply for at least a month) and I ordered a product that may make it even easier to build a coil.

I love my coils after I build them in my kpt better to me JMO

Same here. Every since I started using the technique mentioned earlier in this thread I've been building coils that I am very happy with. Now I just have to start buying more wire and wick online because the only store around me that has it locally sells the wire at $10 a ft. same price for the wick. Its much cheaper on eBay and even cheaper if I buy them both separately in higher quantities online.

The kit I ordered from fasttech still hasn't arrived yet but it just made it to the states on friday and should be here within the next two days so after it arrives I will post about the quality of the coils.

Order arrived today (took forever I ordered them on the 4th but I'm not surprised it is the holidays), the coils come wrapped around a wick I'm estimating its the diameter of the standard wick used when buying new coils. The wick is much longer than it needs to be but that was a good thing, I just cut off the excess and used it as flavor wick.

When I put it together and it read 2.8 ohms but I think I may have accidentally added a wrap when I was putting the coil together so its probably meant to be 2.5 but close enough.

After letting the wick soak up some of the juice I've been vaping for the last few days I took my first hit and tasted machine oil or some other type of factory taste regardless it wasn't the fruit smoothy I've been vaping. I forgot to torch the wick and wire to remove the residue which messed up my first test.

On my second attempt it read out at 2.6 and after doing my best to remove residue from the set up I have to say it tastes like a stock coil, not any worse or better but I only got to test two out of 50. And one of those tests were negated by my mess ups.

Since I've ordered these I've gotten much better at building my own coils and the setup I use seems to be more flavorful than stock but I would say these are a good buy for someone who doesn't want to build their own coils but wants to try and save a few pennies. I'll keep this box and use them when i don't have the time to build a coil and if I get through a good amount of them I'll order another box.

To sum it up they aren't worse than stock IMO but they also aren't better. They make it feel like a new coil out of the package but I still prefer my own personal rebuilds over these. I would buy them again if needed and they are being added to my box of extra equipment.

EDIT: If you order these just remember to take a lighter to them or soak them in Vodka etc. to remove the impurities in the wick so you don't get a mouth full of factory oil vapor like I did.

Edited by Drewet88

Fast Tech has authentic KPT coil heads for $5.85 a 5 pk 1.5 ohm, 1.8 ohm, 2.5 ohm versions. With practice coils are easy to make. Check out the in the General e Cig Discussion it will help you a lot. It is simple and easy to follow.

I have bought the KPT coils from Fast Tech they are the originals. I have yet to use any, haven't need to, but yeah they are Originals.

Comp, how much is shipping from Fast Tech?