Is it me, is it the MVP, what?

spydre

Okay, so when I got the MVP, I thought I might want to try lower resistance ratings, but I wasn't REAL sure.....until I had to charge the MVP for the first time, and was getting no power out of the eGo battery. So about half my tanks I lowered to about 2 ohms or so resistance. Some of them I bumped back up. But even at 2.2 ohms, I should be able to go along fine at 7 watts.

Now, maybe this is just residual from my seizure on the 7th, and then this past Thursday added on, but even tanks with higher resistance, I'm having to bump the power down to sometimes six watts.

I mean, sometimes, I can understand - when a coil's going out or sometimes it starts to taste burned when the juice level gets too low in the tank.

But other times, I can see no reason why it would taste burned. I mean, 2.8 resistance should not taste burned but 7 - 7 1/2 watts, and didn't on my Zmax. When I first got the MPV, the coils that came packaged at 2.5 I would regularly vape at 8 watts, so is it because I'm not using the same resistance coils on all of them?

Or is it my freaky taste buds again? Heck, even my doctor can't answer that one, he doesn't really believe me.

Spidey,

There are a few variables in what you are dealing with. You're just going to have to trust your own judgement on this. Burnt? Turn it down. Still burnt? Bad coil. Still burnt? Maybe the juice or your own tastes changing. Forget watts and volts. Are you getting vapor production? Good.

I know it can be frustrating. It's not a perfect system. There is a lot of experimentation with vaping. Try to keeo it simple and as enjoyable as possible. Bask in the game of it all. Make it fun!

I meant to ask you as well, do you have the same taste issues with food and drink? If the issues are the same with food and drink (and smell in general since olfactory is a huge factor with taste) then your problems may be mechanical.

Funny how inconsistent coils are from the factory. Genuine Kanger coils rarely read the resistance they say. I have only had 2 out of probably 50 1.8ohm coils read below 2.0. Most read 2.0-2.1. When I use a 2.2 they always seem to read 2.4-2.5 and when I use a 2.5 it is almost always spot on. Is it easier to hit the higher resistance than the lower when they build the coils, or is there an imperfection in the coil resistance reading abilities of an APV?

It has been a LONG time since I used less than the ones labeled 1.8ohm. I regularly vape at 7w unless the coil reads above 2.0 when I go to 7.5 and at 2.3 and above I go to 8 or 8.5w.

There is only one food/drink that has been affected this time frame - generic diet cola. Before, I could tolerate it, but well, you know, it wasn't all that good, but then after the Day of Seizure Infamy (September 11) I couldn't tolerate the generic anymore. Or heck, maybe I just thought I couldn't tolerate it anymore. We were stocking Pepsi products when I had that day of the seizures, and it was like 2 weeks before I was faced with generic diet soda, so I seriously could have misinterpreted it. I mean, last December, there was a definite appetite and food preference change, but this seems more....subtle, so limited to vaping.

Say, I can't taste chocolate vape, but I can taste chocolate.

Since September, the flavor of the 618 and the Honey Wood have changed over time, it took me weeks to taste honey wood right again.

618 started to taste right again, and then, I don't know if it was because of switching back to the eGo's when I returned the Zmax and was waiting on the refund and the MVP to come in, or 10/24 seizure, or what, but up until maybe a week before I got this last bottle, I couldn't taste 618, either.

I can't say it was conclusively the seizures - my tastes did change (sometimes for a very short time) after the September seizures, because I found the Vapor Beast flavors on October 4.

And granted, the last two days have been......well, I'm back to taking a couple of hours to settle on a juice......but this burned tasting is just weird. I mean, one flavor or another will taste that way all day, and I dial it down to 6 and sometimes it STILL tastes like that.

Well I have to add that I have seen a lot of inconsistency in juices in general. I have a few vendors who put out a consistently good juice and others are hit and miss even on the same juice.

And in all honesty my tastes have changed massively since I started vaping. What I thought tasted fantastic 6 months ago is pretty mediocre today. All part of the ever evolving vape world...

Edited by Bebop12

I'm starting to wonder if it's not the MVP.....Bear with me here.

With the Zmax, I was CONSISTENTLY running a minimum of 7 watts - and that was AFTER my day of three seizures in September. Never had a problem with feeling like any juice was burning. Now these were all 2.2 - 2.5 ohm coils. Some of them have been replaced with lower resistance coils, but some of them have not, and I don't have a single coil that's below 2 ohms resistance. My 555 and my 618 both have 2.6 ohm coils in them, set them both on 7 watts, and both taste burned. Even hubby said the 618 tasted burned, and I'm actually running it at a LOWER voltage than what he would run it on 2.6 resistance. But gosh darn it, I had him use his own drip tip on my 618 tank so I don't catch whatever sinus crud he has, and he was vaping Very Berry, and it seems just the o-rings cross contaminated because now I'm getting a mixed mouthful of 618/Very Berry (of course, he's refusing to believe that).

I've put the MVP on the charger for now because it was acting a little odd, even though the battery life was only yellow. I have one more possibility to check out. At least with the 618, when I set it to 7 watts, it tasted burned. But if I adjusted the voltage, not the wattage, oddly enough, I was able to bump it a little higher. So I'll try that with the 555 when it's done charging.

Could it be that either your draw or airflow has changed? Burning typically equates to lack of wicking. The slightest variation (coil to coil, or in your draw) can effect wicking. Airflow (you use evods, right) can also effect wicking/flavor.

I say find a happy spot this moment and vape that sucker. :)

Could it be that either your draw or airflow has changed? Burning typically equates to lack of wicking. The slightest variation (coil to coil, or in your draw) can effect wicking. Airflow (you use evods, right) can also effect wicking/flavor.

I say find a happy spot this moment and vape that sucker. :)

Mostly, I use KPT2s. Well, I have 1 Davide, 5 KPT2s, and then a couple mini PTs and about 5 Evods, but I haven't really hit an evod for more than five minutes in about a month or more.

Mostly, I use KPT2s. Well, I have 1 Davide, 5 KPT2s, and then a couple mini PTs and about 5 Evods, but I haven't really hit an evod for more than five minutes in about a month or more.

My comment is irregardless of device. Those all wick the same. Draw and airflow effect wicking, which effects flavor (or burning in this case).

Good luck.

I handed it to him, MVP, tank, everything but the drip tip (don't want those nasty germsies), said vape on it a bit, and let me know if it tastes burned. I gave him 10 minutes with it, but it only took a couple. He asked what voltage it was set on, and I kind of waved that off, and said, "What voltage would YOU set 2.6 ohm resistance tank on," and he said 4.5 or 6. When I handed it it to him, it was set to 4.2, with a 2.6 ohm coil, brand new, having soaked for a couple of hours.

Now, at first, I didn't have this problem with the MVP.....which is why I thought it was me at first.

So, we tried experimenting after it finished charging. Set the MVP on 4.4 volts, rather than setting wattage. Started vaping 618 out of it. Within minutes, it started burning. So we pulled the multimeter out. Set on 4.4 volts. Checked the actual resistance of the coil, that was accurate. So we used the multimeter on a couple of different settings to determine if it's outputting what it's supposed to put out, voltage wise. And it is. Every voltage setting I put it on was confirmed by the multimeter.

Hubby thinks it's an airflow issue. We've tried it with the Pro Tank Collars on, off, no collar, the Davide Collar, but one of our experiments was with an evod, so no collar to deal with there.

Any help/thoughts/clues would help me out, but I'm also in the process of contacting the vendor, and see what they say to do. I mean, like I said, I initially could vape at 7 - 8 watts with no problems. Good thing I've only had this less than a month.

Then perhaps it's some element of the juice that doesn't like to be superheated. Superheating flavorings can leave byproducts on the wick and coil.

If it was the device then hubby should be getting the same reaction with one of his tanks.

If your tasting burnt then it's from the coil itself, a juice byproduct or the wick. If all your measurements pan out then what else could it be?

Then perhaps it's some element of the juice that doesn't like to be superheated. Superheating flavorings can leave byproducts on the wick and coil.

If it was the device then hubby should be getting the same reaction with one of his tanks.

If your tasting burnt then it's from the coil itself, a juice byproduct or the wick. If all your measurements pan out then what else could it be?

One of the tanks we tried, the evod, was hubby's, and it indeed did get burned. He never put any of his cartos on my MVP.

And I would think if it was a problem with the juice, it would have given a problem well before months after we've started vaping it at around that level.

As a matter of fact, one of my evods I just pulled out to taste the other day, and I thought the coil was bad because it was kind of burny.....but I replaced the coil, and the same effect. I just didn't think about it until tonight.

Edited by spydre

Okay, sorry, I've been typing, and then going away, and just been up and down busy today. So, sorry. E-mailed the vendor last night, and at 6 am I had a return e-mail. First suggestion, as always, clean it. Which I did, and quickly determined that as long as it was on a baseline setting (3.3 volts OR 6 watts), it was usually fine - except the evods were more prone to taste burned even at baseline readings.

So yeah, I knew every tank that we had tried on my MVP, including my husband's Evod, had the same results (and that Evod went straight back to performing just fine on hubby's device last night). So while I notified the vendor that cleaning it had no effect, and what exactly WAS happening, with every single tank, regardless of the make or model, the vendor gave me the RMA procedure, but I wanted to make sure that it WASN'T my tanks before I filled out the RMA. So finally tonight I was able borrow hubby's Provari and use it on my 2.6 ohm tanks. Didn't have a single problem with them, and oh my goodness, was it nice to be vaping at a decent voltage level for those flavors again (4.4 volts) - which I believe it's been about two weeks. When it first started happening, I thought it was happening because of taste issues from the seizure on the 7th, and piled on again last Thursday.

NOTE: While I was playing with hubby's Provari, I traded actually several tanks back and forth. I thought I had remembered being able to taste better again, and I can.....depending on the voltage or wattage I can push through without burning the juice. My taste buds were just, I guess, temporarily stunted again at first. There are some tastes that I don't think I'll get back at all, or at least not for months, but hey, I've discovered I can drink generic diet soda again, and I lost that taste two months ago.