The not so hot Lavafire Variable Battery MOD

I was eager to get the LavaFire MOD until it arrived and what a disappointment.

The first thing I did was fill the new Pro Tank I ordered with it, put in a battery, and it didn't fire. The battery was loose in the casing, the button was loose and would screw in or out just by touching it. It truly felt like it would fall out at any moment. I thought WoW, what a piece of @#$# this is. Found that the switch would not make contact with the battery unless it was screwed out to the point of almost falling out.

After 2 hours of rebuilding the switch I final got it working. Had to replace the contact spring, add a higher contact point, and added a spring to the outside part of the switch. Sad day when you have to re MOD a Mod to get it to work. Don't buy the LavaFire Variable Battery MOD unless you have spare springs, a small thumb screw, and some micro size O rings laying around to rebuild it.

Good news is after the rebuilding of the switch it works great.

If you have one and you don't use it because of this issue, or, just want pics of how to fix it say the word and I will add a small tutorial to this thread.

I think I put this in the wrong section. if a mod sees this can you please move this to the E Cig review section or Modding section? Which ever you feel is most appropriate. Thanks :)

Edited by Compenstine

Are you talking about the VV/VW Lava Fire APV? Or the actual Lava fire mod/battery tube:?

If you are talking about the VV/VW, then I guess I feel like I dodged a bullet. I looked at those for about a minute. But they were the same price as the refund I was getting, and I knew I could get good APVs for up to $20 less than what I paid out for the Zmax. And I wanted that extra money to well, buy more stuff, lol.

I was eager to get the LavaFire MOD until it arrived and what a disappointment.

The first thing I did was fill the new Pro Tank I ordered with it, put in a battery, and it didn't fire. The battery was loose in the casing, the button was loose and would screw in or out just by touching it. It truly felt like it would fall out at any moment. I thought WoW, what a piece of @#$# this is. Found that the switch would not make contact with the battery unless it was screwed out to the point of almost falling out.

After 2 hours of rebuilding the switch I final got it working. Had to replace the contact spring, add a higher contact point, and added a spring to the outside part of the switch. Sad day when you have to re MOD a Mod to get it to work. Don't buy the LavaFire Variable Battery MOD unless you have spare springs, a small thumb screw, and some micro size O rings laying around to rebuild it.

Good news is after the rebuilding of the switch it works great.

If you have one and you don't use it because of this issue, or, just want pics of how to fix it say the word and I will add a small tutorial to this thread.

I think I put this in the wrong section. if a mod sees this can you please move this to the E Cig review section or Modding section? Which ever you feel is most appropriate. Thanks :)

Thanks for the heads up. I have been seriously looking at those and really wanting one because they are so pretty but I do not know how to rebuild or fix problems like that so I am very appreciative for you saving me the money I would have wasted.

Are you talking about the VV/VW Lava Fire APV? Or the actual Lava fire mod/battery tube:?

If you are talking about the VV/VW, then I guess I feel like I dodged a bullet. I looked at those for about a minute. But they were the same price as the refund I was getting, and I knew I could get good APVs for up to $20 less than what I paid out for the Zmax. And I wanted that extra money to well, buy more stuff, lol.

The Batt tube, I picked up mine from Vapor Beast for $24.99

35-0200-004-2T.jpg?1374838270

Thanks for the heads up. I have been seriously looking at those and really wanting one because they are so pretty but I do not know how to rebuild or fix problems like that so I am very appreciative for you saving me the money I would have wasted.

Your wecome! That is exactly why a made the post! I liked the looks aswell and for only $24.. I thought it would make a great first Mechanical Mod for me. Instead I got a Mod that needed remoded lol Because I did fix it I dont feel I wasted my money but I will think twice before ordering any of this manufacture's products.

Edited by Compenstine

Thanks for posting!!! Even when all the proper research is done, Chinese QA is so spotty, duds will inevitably roll off the production line. Best to pay for a quality device that will last a long time, than to pay more money in the long run for a bunch of devices and fixes. A painful lesson I recently learned...

Edited by CascadianExotics

Absolutely, but that is true for any assembly line product be it China, Japan, USA... etc. Even the most expensive items can be faulty. Granted it holds true with most things "You get what you pay for." This item was just a poor design from the get go when it comes to the manual switch. At one time this was one in the medium $60 price range as well. As you stated you can do all the research and still get a bad unit. There is just no excuse for bad enginering in any country.

I think there is some confusion going on here.

The lava fire is a mechanical mod

The LavaTUBE is a VV/VW.

Just making sure everyone knows they are completely different mods.

Also if you could post some pics of that switch or even the small tutorial that would be awesome. I plan on reworking my caravelas button here in the near future and I am gonna compile a few different bottom button mod designs together to get a useable switch. :)

I can do that. I didn't reman the switch so much as I added what it needed to tighten it up and make better contact. I will throw a quick pictorial up in this thread in the next couple days.

I may be able to give you some advice on yours and what can be done to make it better. Some pics of what your looks like and what you want will help me with that.

Edited by Compenstine

I think there is some confusion going on here.

The lava fire is a mechanical mod

The LavaTUBE is a VV/VW.

Just making sure everyone knows they are completely different mods.

Also if you could post some pics of that switch or even the small tutorial that would be awesome. I plan on reworking my caravelas button here in the near future and I am gonna compile a few different bottom button mod designs together to get a useable switch. :)

See, that's why I asked. Because I'M always getting them mixed up, too. :)

Switch Assembly Upgrade

This is the Original switch assembled.

origswitchassembled.jpg

Break down of Original switch

origswitch.jpg

This is an attempt to show the play in the original switch

switchplay.jpg

This how far out I had to twist it to get a connection to fire

tofire.jpg

This is a break down of the parts added to the switch upgrade. Larger and stiffer main spring, thumb screw to raise contact used rubber insulator from 510 batt post to hold thumb screw in place, small spring on fire button to tighten play.

upradeswitchexpanded.jpg

Upgrade Assembled

upgradedswitchassembled.jpg

Fire position after upgrading the switch

upgradetofire.jpg

I can now even stand it on end without it firing or falling over

withKPT2tank.jpg