Vapor Talk Coming To Your Phone

So I'm always working on the latest greatest way to keep Vapor Talk just that much cooler than everyone else ;)

Once thing I noticed is just how many people access the site from their cell phones. Man it must be a pain to read the forums on your phone! Well I've been testing a mobile version of the site over the past few weeks and it's almost ready. Yup, not only can you waste time at home, but you can do it on the go as well! More server bandwidth here we come!

In a few more days I'll launch the mobile version of the site. You can post, preview read and do almost all the same things you can do now, but on your cell phone. In fact the skin should work on PDA's as well as many other mobile platforms.

Many of your donations helped make this a possibility so thank you.

I'll post an announcement when the mobile site is ready. Just another reason to stick with Vapor Talk :)

Thanks Guys!

Once thing I noticed is just how many people access the site from their cell phones. Man it must be a pain to read the forums on your phone!

It probably won't be bad at all on the Iphone.. larger screen, high resolution (for a mobile device)

Well I use the G1 to access the site and although it work wells (my phone has a large screen) it's still a pain. It's hard to navigate around the site. Since using the new skin though, I can answer posts much like I do at home. I have a feeling Vapor Talk Mobile will get more popular over time.

Good, maybe now I will be able to get on a little more :thumbsup:. I can use the site on my Blackberry Storm right now but, it's just a pain in the a$$ because things seem to be kind of all over the place.

It's been hard trying to keep up with everything including the site with two jobs and school right now!

Edited by Sean

Good, maybe now I will be able to get on a little more :thumbsup:. I can use the site on my Blackberry Storm right now but, it's just a pain in the a$$ because things seem to be kind of all over the place.

It's been hard trying to keep up with everything including the site with two jobs and school right now!

Hey Sean. Long time, no see. Good to have you back. Chris has been pining for you.

what do you mean pining? and thank you, I have been very busy as of late. I am currently juggling two jobs, school, a relationship, and trying to more for vaportalk.

what do you mean pining? and thank you, I have been very busy as of late. I am currently juggling two jobs, school, a relationship, and trying to more for vaportalk.

Missing. Its how they describe dogs who miss thier mates or owners, they "pine" for them. (NOT implying either of you are dogs). Geez, I always get myself into trouble

Edited by keenan

Na, man you're not in trouble, lol. Chris and I are pretty hard guys to insult, specially me. I think it might be that whole California Surfer mentality. I just hadn't ever heard of the expression "pining" so thank you for teaching me. :thumbsup:

You know if you drop the relationship, you would only have to work one job....j/k. But who's going to wash the dishes???? Oh well, better keep the second job.

Although that can be used for mobile connections it actually meant more for low speed connection. Some people still use 56k and cannot load the site as normal.

The mobile version will function the same as a mobile site would on your phone. IE full graphics and an easy to navigate structure.

We have an iPhone version already actually, BUT I don't use an iPhone and neither does anyone else in the office so it would be hard to keep up with the code. The more things I implement on the site the harder it is to keep up with everything especially with the store opening :)

That said however the mobile version will work just fine on the iPhone, it just wont have the glassy effect iPhone users are used to but you will still have full mobile browsing. This version of the site should work on multiple platforms. :D

How about an Android app? LOL, I know, too much time / effort for such a small segment of your users. But hey, if anyone out there wants to give it a go I'd be happy to help whenever I can, but I travel frequently for work and just don't have the time to tackle something like that myself. I'd have to catch myself up to speed on the Android SDK, and it's been years since I have done any real coding. Just throwing that out there... but I can't wait to check out the mobile site! Keep up the hard work.

Cheers.