The Sky is Falling

irwink

I didn't see the actual brand named in the story so I wouldn't be too sure it was an eGo brand. More like it was an eGo style of battery until more details come out -- if it ever does. In looking at the top where the battery connects to an atomizer, it doesn't look like a real eGo battery, probably a cheap knock off.

I didn't see the actual brand named in the story so I wouldn't be too sure it was an eGo brand. More like it was an eGo style of battery until more details come out -- if it ever does. In looking at the top where the battery connects to an atomizer, it doesn't look like a real eGo battery, probably a cheap knock off.

No, the brand in this case wan't obvious. It kinda looks like an eGo knockoff. The threaded section appears to be a little shorther than a Joye eGo But watch starting at the 1 minute point of the video, the Tulsa battery poof incident. They're showing an eGo T battery. Shortly after they show an 'esmart' usb charger. So I don't know if mismatched cheapo chargers may have been in play.

Yeah, noticed that, too. I wonder what else isn't disclosed that could've made the battery explode. There's a whole lot of story that's not being told...

There's no telling what details were left out of the story. TV news is notorious for lots of sensationalism and little fact or detail. At any rate batteries of many types will sometimes fail catastrophically. In both cases here it appears neither battery actually exploded but rather released out the end of the battery as designed in a fault condition.

I still use eGo batteries on occasion, have used them off and on for 3 years and will continue to use them though they're not my go to device.

Wonder if that was one of the EVOD batteries that got recalled? The connection end looks like it could be.

I don't know. I wouldn't know an evod battery as I've never paid any attention to them.

• 1 month later...

eCigs are relatively new technology so it's not surprising that some kinks need to be worked out. Most ecig batteries are vented and have safety features such as overload shutoff protection. Also, as some others here have noted; there haven't been any incidents reported that include wall chargers... Admittedly I have charged mine in my computer and even in the back of my cable-box in the past but after reading a couple of these stories I always use the wall charger exclusively.