Couple sues over exploding battery

Jeffb

Okay, this has me thinking, since when I switched batteries earlier today, the one I pulled off the charger was warm. Is it okay to keep it on the charger until you use it (stick battery, supposed to be eGo 900, but likely a knock off), or should you pull it off the charger once it's charged?

• 4 weeks later...

as with all battery powered devices you should remove from charger when it's fully charged.

Software devices are usually safer to "leave" on the charger because their charging is actually controlled by necessity to prevent battery damage. they are also turned off before they fully discharge again to prevent battery damage. Lithium Ion batteries when Completely drained will no longer work properly. that's why when they hit a pre-determined discharge level they "turn off" and never completely discharge.

Lithium Ion is a great style of battery with a lot of strengths including massive cycle life (compared to some other types) but they also have inherent weaknesses (including the results of over charging and usage).

You get the good and bad together in all things.