batteries

hdryder

Could someone please tell me the difference between an imr battery and a protected one ? I bought an adam mod and it says to use imr batteries in it but I read where they are unprotected.. Is that true ? Can I use a regular protected 18650 in a mechanical mod

Thanks

The IMR can handle the amps, they're high drain batteries, and when they fail they don't usually explode.

I use the IMR in my mech mods, but I also like to use the resettable fuse. If you use a Kick, you won't need a fuse.

The only thing that concerns me about using IMRs in a mechanical mod is that there's no protection against under-voltage. Protected batteries will shut the current off when the voltage drops below a certain point.

My 2¢. :thumbup:

@Uma - Do you know of any device (similar in design to Holocron Lab's Short Stop) that protects against under-voltage?

Edited by Rixter

The only thing that concerns me about using IMRs in a mechanical mod is that there's no protection against under-voltage. Protected batteries will shut the current off when the voltage drops below a certain point.

My 2¢. :thumbup:

@Uma - Do you know of any device (similar in design to Holocron Lab's Short Stop) that protects against under-voltage?

The kick does that also but isn't as thin as the Short Stop. Here's another question: Can a short circuit blow out a kick?? Do we need "kick protection"??

That's a valid point, to be aware of and careful about over draining the battery. Fortunately, the IMR's will drop in performance, just like the regular batteries do, which is our signal to change them out and put in fresh ones. When using IMR's it's very important to have a battery volt reader thingie to check the levels before recharging and after charging.

My advice? As soon as performance drops, take it out! Even if it's still at 3.8 or 3.7... I go through 2 18650 batteries a day. The lower your ohms, the faster the battery drains. Don't take chances.

The Nutz is regulated. Do a search on the Nutz (oops, hit post, forgot to add the rest of my thoughts first lol) , by Jhountz .... he somehow turns non-regulated mods into regulated ones, plus he has his own line as well.

Edited by Uma

The kick does that also but isn't as thin as the Short Stop. Here's another question: Can a short circuit blow out a kick?? Do we need "kick protection"??

Nope, the Kick has it's own built in protection. In fact, the biggest complaint about the kick is how it shuts down at 3.8 sometimes. But, when you're dealing with rechargable batteries, it's not such a bad thing. :)

I would pick up the NiteCore Intell-charger v2 ... It's a great charger, smart, plus it can charge the big o' 26650 batteries as well as the tiny 18350 batteries without needing spacers. (and all sizes in between and then some).

The Xtar is really nice too.

I got my Intelli-charger at Amazon, but you can get them anywhere. Make sure it's the V2 Here's a review: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?337187-Review-of-SysMax-NiteCore-Intellicharger-i4-V2-Charger

I really don't know if the trustfire charger will work or not, until you get something better like the NiteCore V2, but, my guess is that it will. Hopefully someone who does know will be along to answer. :)