Heart Rate and Lung Capacity

LUNG CAPACITY: I'm 79 years old and have been using the E-Cig for only 6 months. During my recent annual physical, the Spirometer test indicated that my lung capacity had almost doubled. Obviously, I'm quite pleased. For exercise, I bicycle every other day for about an hour, but last year's test showed no change so I must attribute my improvement to the E-Cig. HEART RATE: Vapping straight nicotine gives us that "hit" and I had concern about elevated levels when vapping. Using a digital heart monitor, I made numerous tests both before and during heavy hits, finding no significant difference, and on several occasions, a reduced heart rate which, I assume, was the calming effect of mild nicotine use. I use both 16mg and 18mg levels. For further improvement, the doctor recommended that I definitely continue biking inasmuch as the lung sacs that are now being purged require exercising to attain maximum capacity. For those of you who have experienced improved breathing using E-Cigs, I highly recommend regular exercise. I know, it's boring and hard to get into, but it's a lot like substituting E-Cigs for analogs -once into the benefits, you become a little obsessed with it. I'm older than most -if not all- of you and I do it. So can you.

I have COPD and just thought about tracking my heart rate and pulse ox for a while now that I've stopped smoking analogs. I know what my rates were before, I'm anxious to see what they are now.

I started doing 5K walk/runs last year. I'm planning on 4 so far this year. I need to actually start training for them, I never did last year. I'm anxious to see how much better I can do this year. Thanks for the info on the lung sacs needed exercise to attain maximum capacity since they're now being purged, I didn't know that.

My daughter, who was never a smoker or an exerciser for that matter, started running last year and lost 50+ lbs. Now she says she's obsessed with running. I hope to be like that some day soon!

It is very important to run to help get your lungs back to where they should be. I have to be able to run a lot because of my job. I hate it. lol, or at least until i start. It really helps me out to listen to my music when i run, it might help y'all too.

• 2 weeks later...

My cap is off to Lyrical in St. Louis (my old home town!) for getting into a regular exercise routine and to Kosch for hating to run but doing it! Yes, you can become "addicted" to exercise. Sooooo many chilly, damp mornings I look at the bike and think about putting it off, but tell myself that after a few miles I'll "climatize," so I stop whining and go. Sure enough, with my bike radio on, life comes together. Let's stay with it!

Thank you Mr. Ricketts, that means a lot to me - especially coming from an ex-st. Louisan! :D I was stuck on my treadmill in a corner of my chilly, damp basement today - right now we have from 5" to 12" of snow covering StL - breaking records...wonderful! LOL That'll make getting outside again that much sweeter though! I like the "runner's high" I get when I'm done - walking or running - better than any drug, that's for sure. Yes, let's stay with it!!