Usb Pass Thru

keenan

Hey guys, I know Im not technically a noobie anymore, but I AM new to my usb pass thru for my 510. It came yesterday, from Rockymountainvapor.com. First time buying from them, I usually go with Arno but he doesnt carry them (pass thrus ). Service was great, got here in 4 days, price was good, cheaper by a buck or two from most. O.K. thats outta the way, heres my questions. It comes with a battery, but I dont understand the mechanics, i.e., why does it NEED a batt, and, will that batt die and do I need to replace it from time to time ? It came with no instructions to tell me about this. By the way, it works AWESOME, Im almost afraid Im gonna atomize my atomizer Im vapin so much. I just dont get the battery thing ( really no biggie ) but will I kill it by using it so much, and where do u get replacements if you do ? And are there any special care or tips and tricks with the pass thru. Thanks guys :withstupid:

Hey Keenan--The separate battery is the component that holds the back up charge--i.e--if the computer is powered down so you don't lose charge. at least thats my understanding. I'm sure at some point the battery would need to be changed--but I would think it should last quite a long time. nothing special as far as care goes. I do alternate atomizers when I am at the computer for long periods--don't know if it makes a difference, but lets them cool off a bit.

I know their are sites to get the batteries, I will have to check and see if I can find one--never handy when you need one.

I've use Rocky Mountain a couple times and they have been great--the liquids are very good and the prices are reasonable.

The battery is actually there for older computers. (although it will also hold a charge) Older computers where not designed for the amount of power a USB passthrough needs. For example if you take that battery off then plug it into an older computer you will get a "power surge warning"

Jeso could actually really break it down for you. I'll email him this topic.

Hi Guys,

I also was bewildered by the in line battery?

So after limited information on line of why the battery, I had to take one apart.

The 3.7v 360mAh 10440 battery is in parallel with the USB power.

older computers with (USB 1.0) specs only allowed 500mAh devices to be hooked up to the port, and

if you exceeded that you would get a warning of a USB power surge.

The battery in parallel supplies 360 mAh extra power to your atomizer so the warning doesn't come up.

Those pass thrus do not supply 1.2 to 1.5 Amps at 5 volts, ends up about 4 volts and 750 mAh

. That is why they are not that popular.

USB 2.0 or higher allows devices to take 1.2 to 1.8 amps from the USB ports to charge items,

such as ipod, cell phones, etc

I am by far not an expert, but this is some of the information I was able to round up.

I hope this helped?

Best Regards

Jeso

No not really. And to be honest those Chinese passthroughs are crap. It's why we don't talk about them much on the forum. BUT we will have something for review in a few weeks which I think will really bring light to the Passthrough world, I CAN"T WAIT to show you guys

Why are they crap, should I stop using it, or will it harm my computer or e cig ? And I know most products are from china, but I bought this at rockymountain, do they make thier own or buy from china as well

Edited by keenan

It's from China lol. Its crap only because it probably will only last about a couple months or so. It works like an automatic battery does. (or is it manual that you have?) Most are automatic and if liquid gets into the passthrough it will die the same way the auto bats do.

They also tend to have a 3 seconds cut off. Though I have not tried the 510 passthrough so please correct me if I'm wrong.

OK,

I did some testing on that type of pass thru with the in line battery.

They work by the battery supplies your e cigarette, and there is

a recharging circuit, that then continues to keep the battery charged.

So you will not damage your computer, because you are essentially

using the battery that gets recharged continuously.

That's why they are not popular because they do not supply any

more voltage or current. But supply the standard amount of power

as a e cig.

I could be wrong, but that is what my tests have shown.

Best Regards

Jeso

And by that Jeso means many Ecig users started using passthroughs because not only did it give them a steady charge but also a higher voltage producing a better flavor and more vapor. (Running at around 5 volts) The passthroughs that contain the battery run only at 3.6volts or at the same volt level that most electronic cigarettes run. :)

Keenan I think your now an expert! :D

I think he's an expert, just look at his reputation score!

I have three pass thrus. an 801 auto, a 901 auto and a 901 manual. I bought the autos from AwesomeVapor and I know that are made in China and they don't have batteries in them but they do have a light. The cut off on these two are longer than I can draw so it doesn't effect me much. I bought the 901 manual from Clean Safe Smoke. I haven't had any trouble with them and they work great producing much more vapor and flavor than the battery. Now I have seen the pass-thru that puresmoker sells and its made tough like the VP units. With such a large gage of wire you would get a higher voltage to the atomizer because of less resistance in the wire, that makes a big difference in DC as opposed to AC.

Hey...how does the reputation score work? And why is keenan's higher than chris'?? hahaha :P

See the green and red buttons in the lower right hand corner of each post.

That's how you alter someones rep score. By voting them up or down.