How Do You Kickstart Dead Taste Buds?

Rixter

What do you do when your favorite e-liquids provide you with plenty of vapor but virtually no taste at any wattage?

I have, from time to time, noticed that my juices go bland on me for a while, and then miraculously come back to life after a few hours, days, or weeks. It's not just one juice in particular, either. It seems that all of my traditional tobacco-flavored juices do it at once, and fruity flavors are the only thing I can taste, and then just barely.

At first, I thought all my e-liquids had gone bad on me because food and beverages still tasted fine. I left my juice container in a hot room and thought the heat had ruined their flavor or something. They later came back to life though, so I had to conclude that the culprit was my taste buds.

If anyone has a trick to revive dead taste buds, I'd love to know about it. I've already tried switching flavors, brushing my teeth and tongue, drinking plenty of H20, and eating something salty...all to no avail.

Edited by Rixter

I usually keep two different flavors going at any time and switch off to try and prevent that.On occasion I have had to get some clove or menthol to add to my backy' .I generally have 5 to 20 different flvors of liquid on hand and I switch off evry 10 ml.

not sure. kinda starting to have the same thing happen to me. my bobas bounty is just not orgasmic anymore... lol its dulling out. i have a very strong fruity flavor pearberry and strawnana which are great, i also have blend 4 which is like a really nice cigar and gorilla juice which is bobas to a t plus some banana and is a tad sweeter than bobas. and they are all fine but my bobas is dying! im interested in seeing what others have to say about this. ive kinda let off the bobas for a while. ive tried everything you mentioned and s far nothing. i guess we just need to focus more on other flavors for a bit and see if the lack of a certain fav will bring the flavor back! oh god i hope so!!! god luck to you sir!

I just rotate flavors, i have 6-8 flavors I keep in stock, but i'm only vaping 2 or 3 of them on any given day. When i flavor seems to be dulling out (happened w/ Boba's, recently revisited it and now i can't put it down again) just toss it in the drawer and leave it alone for a week or so. I like to have 1 fruit flavor, a tobacco flavor, and a bakery flavor loaded and read to go at all times, then one one dull's out, i'll swap it for another flavor within the same category. Here are my current flavors:

Fruit: Hype from AVE, Scarlet Bull from Buckeye Vapors

Tobacco: Ginger's RY4 from TVR, Boba's from AVE, DK Tobacco from Buckeye Vapors

Bakery: Cinnamon Danish Swirl from TVR, Smurphberry (blueberry) from Buckey Vapors. I put that one as a bakery flavor cuz it tastes more like a blueberry muffin than the blueberry fruit to me

Good tips, guys. I decided to change things up a little and ordered some Sweet Caroline from iVape and some of their limited run RY4, too. I ordered some of IkenVape's RY4 Gold PG as well because it's near the top of several Best RY4 lists I've come across lately (right below Forever Vapors' Dulcis...which is, sadly, out of stock). I'm still waiting on those to arrive, and I'll post some reviews once they do. (Can you tell I like RY4?)

On my last EC Blend order, I switched my usual Chocolate Malt and RY4 from 50/50 PG/VG to 80/20 PG/VG, and there's a huge difference in the flavor strength. I also used their Create Your Own E-Liquid Wizard to make Blueberry 7, a 7 Leaf Blend with 25% Blueberry in it, and with the same 80/20 PG/VG blend...also excellent. I guess that since PG is supposed to carry flavor more efficiently, I'm tasting those juices a lot better now. The thinner blends also load into cartos easier and seem to wick better in my atty tanks.

I think the switch to higher PG content might solve my "vaper's tongue" problem...at least temporarily.

Ya, this really does seem to be a common problem with no absolute answer. Switching flavors doe help....I usually have 4-5 flavors I rotate through.

For me the devices seem to make a difference too....

With My Clearomizer....the flavor lasts a bit longer, but by the end of the day it seems to fade quite a bit. I empty the last bit out, give a good few shakes to get our any remaining liquid and refill.

My DCT (Dual coil Tank) 3ml....really good for about the first 3 days then the flavors get pretty muted, Throat hit and vapor remain great so keep using it until it dies. Just change the flavor with refills.

For the best flavor all the time....Dripping. Still change out the flavors frequently, but it really does work for best flavor.

• 2 weeks later...

its not your tongue that the problem, its your sinuses. when I can't taste my fave flavors, I usually get out the saline nasal spray, and inhale some good steam through my nose for about 30 minutes. cleans it right out and the flaves return :yes

Yeah...I forgot to put that in my list of things I've tried. Since I work in a cabinet shop, I use a neti pot to flush my sinuses with warm saline as opposed to a nasal spray, so my sinuses stay pretty clear.

Does it make any sense when I say that I can smell the juice but not taste it? I know it sounds weird, but when I get vaper's tongue, I can still smell the juice in the bottles, but the "taste" is just not there. I know that the sense of smell adds complexity to the four basic tastes, sweet, sour, salty, and bitter, but here lately, it seems that the only thing I can't taste is my e-juice.

I thought the problem was solved when my IkenVape's RY4 Gold PG arrived. It was as if someone turned the switch back on for a couple of days, and all of my juices immediately tasted good again, but it's gone now. It's really too bad because that just might have been the best tasting RY4 I have ever tried, but now it's bland, too.

Hmmm...wish it would come back...I miss it. :crybaby: