N00B Charging Advice

ok noob question. is it bad for you battery if you leave it on you charger over night? my kgo batt takes 3hrs on the dot to fully charge. and i NEVER leave it plugged in for longer than it takes to turn the light solid green. would leaving it on over night once in a while reduce the life span or damage the batt in any way? thanks in advance for any info!

Welcome.No,we all do that.Just make sure it is on a hard surface .You would do more damage charging one that is not fully discharges than leaving a fully charged one on a charger.They only have so many charge/discharge cycles before they start losing capacity .Just keep a few on hand and use them until they stop and you will be fine.

i disagree. i NEVER leave my batt's on the charger for more than it takes to charge them. i always keep it close by me and check it often whenever i'm charging a batt of mine.

i've heard of at least 2 or 3 different instances where eGo-T's blew up on the charger. makes me too nervous to overcharge mine.

I also disagree with Blu's disagreement. I always put a dead eGo battery on a charger before I go to bed and take it of in the morning usually 8 hours later. Several occasions they have stayed on much longer. I have had this routine for over a year and my batteries last a long time and no explosions yet.

I also do this with my Volt batteries, IMR 18490, IMR 18350, 14500, 510 and conventional rechargeable AA+AAA. The secret to this is having the right charger. Not only does the light turn green but the charging should stop when it does. Sometimes chargers will malfunction and an explosion is always possible but it has never happened to me and if it does they are in a place where damage would be minimal.(I don't charge my batteries by my headboard when I'm sleeping)

Edited by Mike

There would have to be two malfunctions as the charger usually and the battery have circutry to monitor the voltage being too high or low and current flow.I blew a battery up once but it took some real effort on my part.It was not very dramatic smelled bad though.If it was sealed in a tight container it might have been a little more exciting.Do you watch you cell phone,cordless phone,laptop PC,etc. etc. as it would be pretty much the same process.

There would have to be two malfunctions as the charger usually and the battery have circutry to monitor the voltage being too high or low and current flow.I blew a battery up once but it took some real effort on my part.It was not very dramatic smelled bad though.If it was sealed in a tight container it might have been a little more exciting.Do you watch you cell phone,cordless phone,laptop PC,etc. etc. as it would be pretty much the same process.

true, just didnt know with ecigs being fairly new to the market if that issue had been raised. i normally dont leave my batt on the charger longer than needed but i had to have my batt charged for vapestock today. it didnt explode thank god but now i know if i ever HAVE to it will be fine. thanks again guys yall the best

I tried really hard to blow one and it almost worked. After the threaded end broke off a battery that was in my pocket I got a little pissed off so I put it on saw horse and smacked it with a hammer. It immediately started to smoke and it got really hot. If the gases didn't have somewhere to vent I think it would have blown.

I know this was not a smart thing to do but I'm a little bit nutty at times so I can get away with this kind of behavior. lol

i agree 100% mcquinn. and i'm not saying that ecigs are dangerous or that explosions are some common occurence. just stating that within the last few months i've heard of at least two genuine joye ego-t's exploding on the charger.

i have NOT heard of two cellphone batteries or laptop batteries exploding LATELY. has it happened before, yup. but let's be honest, quality control on ecigs and ecig accesories right now is not what it should be. so i'm a little overly paranoid of my ecig batteries when they're charging. that's all. not trying to induce some panic, just stating how i feel about charging them. obviously my views are not shared by everybody and that's ok. i just choose not to leave my batteries on for charging for longer than need be.

i agree 100% mcquinn. and i'm not saying that ecigs are dangerous or that explosions are some common occurence. just stating that within the last few months i've heard of at least two genuine joye ego-t's exploding on the charger.

i have NOT heard of two cellphone batteries or laptop batteries exploding LATELY. has it happened before, yup. but let's be honest, quality control on ecigs and ecig accesories right now is not what it should be. so i'm a little overly paranoid of my ecig batteries when they're charging. that's all. not trying to induce some panic, just stating how i feel about charging them. obviously my views are not shared by everybody and that's ok. i just choose not to leave my batteries on for charging for longer than need be.

i agree, im pretty iffy when it comes to stuff that has potential to go boom. save for stuff that is SUPPOSED to go boom like ammo and explosives... lol but batteries and such is foreign to me and while cell phones and computers and the like have been around much longer than ecigs and have had more time to trouble shoot and experience certain issues. if someone tells me the correct way to charge something im hell bent on doin it that way. i just had a dead batt last night and needed it today and i know i wasnt gonna have 3 hours to charge it when i woke up... so i took a chance and all was well. if it had exploded it was in my kitchen so damage would have been minor. and no danger to me and my wife. but from now on, unless another need arises like the one last night my charging routine will be exact...

I am skeptical about the ecig explosions.The batteries we use have in them the same cells from the same manufacturers that are in the battery packs on every lithium ion powered device.They did not invent batteries for ecigs but rather created a market for an existing product.That is why if you take one apart you will see the protection circut was added on to a battery that is just like the ones in your other devices battery packs.A person should do what they are comfotable with and if you ever notice your batteries are getting hotter than normal you should replace them as this is a sign of eminent failure.I think common sense and taking ownership of ones decisions should be an education requirement.Enjoy yoyur vape .☺

Edited by mcquinn