Always Use Protection!

So I had my first battery issue tonight - and it was entirely my fault.

I fell asleep watching TV, when I woke up and went to find my PV it was under me and HOTT! not like burn you hot... but still really hot - I was asleep for about an hour and a half and it was engaged for a while. Up until tonight I've never noticed my PV even get warm and I'm a heavy vaper. It was so hot that the portion of the hard tip on the Vision ego clearomizer that is inside the tank is now deformed.

It ended up taking a good 10 minutes or so for the PV to cool down to normal where I felt that it was safe to vape.

This is a single 18650 in a tube mod - since I don't stack batteries I never really went out of my way to get protected batteries. The fact that my batteries are protected isn't for any reason other than that was all the vendor I purchased them from sold.

However - after tonight I have a different opinion. In fact the batteries that came with my VV tube that a friend is using are unprotected. I've already ordered new protected batteries for him to use so that I can get rid of the unprotected ones.

Not really sure what a battery explosion/overheat looks like... but given the fact that I was laying on it... it would have caused some damage for sure!

Oh I guess I should add... a testament to the Vision clearomizer... even with it burning long and hot enough for the hard tip to be deformed I don't have any issues it. No burned taste, still fires like it did on day one. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to give the same kinda credit to the CE2's I was using before this.

I had a runin with a battery issue to, I didnt notice til last night that I been vaping all day with the battery inserted the wrong way into my silverbullet. No wonder I was getting a weak/cold hit. I didnt notice til the battery completely ran out of juice and I had to replace it, but now im scared to try to recharge it.

I had a runin with a battery issue to, I didnt notice til last night that I been vaping all day with the battery inserted the wrong way into my silverbullet. No wonder I was getting a weak/cold hit. I didnt notice til the battery completely ran out of juice and I had to replace it, but now im scared to try to recharge it.

It doesn't matter for most mods which way the battery is in ,just the ones with vv or booster circutry might have an issue .A basic mod just sends the current to the atty/carto and it just doesn't matter as long as it makes contact.

this is a big reason i don't use mods. i hate to admit it because i'd love to believe that all ecigs are perfectly safe but that's just not true. i'll stick to my LEO and my 808's with safe cutoff timers that won't allow the unit to engage for more than 20 seconds or so before it shuts off.

Some batteries just have a cut off time and but NOT a heat cut-off so basically you could press the button then let it off for a second and press it again it will go to the cut-off again I have did that before been on the button and rocking in my sleep or something and woke up to the smell of a burning atty ;) That has happened to me before a few times before I got into the major upgraded devices.. But even an ego or mini will do it so be careful in the bed,,, I had a OG Buzz get pressed and had no cutoff and damn near started a fire! I am serious a very VERY hot where it burned me style...

• 3 weeks later...

Not to take away from the topic at hand but I find it funny that so many people are concerned with the safety of ecigs. This is from both the vaping community as well as the public's view. This is my take on safety and the ecig. The bulk of electronic cigs run on lithium ion batteries. A smaller percentage run on nimh batteries. Almost all cell phones run on lithium ion batteries. I'd venture to say 90% of the population use a cell phone at least once a day. Most people use them all day everyday. I personally think that if these batteries are as dangerous as most think there would millions of accidents each day. Now, on another note. Everyone is focused on the safety of the ecig and forget where we all come from. We all came from smoking traditional tobacco smokes. These things burn down homes daily. These kill hundreds of thousands of people. I've personally have heard of one "accident" in reference to an ecig. The guy in FL who made national headlines yet could not provide the type or brand of said ecig. Sounds a little shady to me, but who asked. I think we should still use common sense when dealing with these but I don't think they are dangerous. I think driving around in my vehicle which has a 16 gallon tank of gasoline is FAR more dangerous than vaping. This is just a short OPINION of safety regarding ecigs. I don't have any background in electronics other than having used them for years. I'm not an expert in any way shape or form. This is simply my outlook on the topic. And now, with that off my chest, I've got to get back to vaping!

Happy Vaping

-mse12

Wow your pretty lucky, I'm sure you have heard of the story of the Florida man who stacked 2 batteries that were unprotected and he shattered his teeth and blew off part of his tongue OUCH :wallbash:! Luckily LI batteries have a quick if not instant discharge rate which means they will cool down as soon as you depress the button.