Dripping For Dummies

Deadpool809

My one and only exposure to dripping was using my Leo, between the time that I got sick of the carts and got my first cartos in the mail.

I was less than impressed.

My PV collection has expanded, and I have gotten better at the whole vaping thing, so I decided I should maybe give it another shot. I went and ordered a 510 Atomizer (thought about the LR, but I figured I'd give this a shot first), and a new drip tip (if only to have another toy in the box).

Of course, after I ordered, I thought it would be a good idea to solicit advice about what to buy here. Perfectly logical, I assure you.

So what do I need to know about dripping? What are the drip shields I keep hearing about, what purpose do they serve, and where do you get them? How many drops do you drip at a time, and how long should that last? How do you know when you need to drip again? How precise do you need to be with your drops?

Well, I did watch it... it didn't really answer much though. It pretty much told me everything I already know about dripping...

As far as video vs. text... video is helpful for some things, but for the information presented there... I could type all that out in about a quarter of the time it took, and read it in less than a minute. Not to dismiss the value of videos at all - but there is still a lot of value in text-based FAQs :)

Yeah, I really am that busy to where 7 minutes actually matters. Sad sometimes...

Edited by Deadpool809

Ok, let's see if I can answer some of your questions. (I'm not a big dripper but I do use it sometimes.)

First thing would be to blow out all the primer that comes in the atty. (pretty sure you knew this but thought I'd mention it.)

The first time you drip you want to put 3 to 5 drops to re-prime with your flavor and let it sit for a minute or two to soak in.

Than vape 8 to 10 puffs or till it seems to lose vapor or flavor.

Than add 2 to 3 drop and repeat.

You shouldn't need a drip shield because your using a 510 atty. (I believe this is what I was told.)

2 to 3 drops should get you 8 to 10 puffs or about that.

As long as your using a sealed batt you should be ok even if you flood the atty a bit.

Hope that answers some of your questions :cheers:

Drip shields work GREAT with 510 atty's. All you need is a '510-510 adapter' and you are set. Any leakage from the atty is contained and will then be pulled back up to be used again when vaping. I don't drip at all unless I'm using a drip shield!!

Adapter: http://www.empiremods.com/product_p/510-510ads.htm

Drip Shields: http://www.empiremods.com/category_s/21.htm

So the drip shield automatically pulls the leaked juice back in?

I guess I am trying to figure out the mechanics of it all. If I am going to try this out, I want to make sure my experience is as good as it can possibly be. I wasn't impressed before, and don't want to find I don't enjoy it because I am doing it wrong.

Does the adapter cause any loss of power? And is it always necessary?

Edited by Deadpool809

Yes, the drip shield has an o-ring at the top and bottom which creates a void around the atty you are using... this collects the juice and when you take a drag it sucks it back into the atty! Works like a champ too I might add! The adapter is necessary to raise it just a tad so that the bottom o-ring is below the threads of the atty... so it can work it's magic. And there is no loss of power that I have ever been aware of.

I also use this little guy: http://www.empiremods.com/product_p/chrryuni.htm

You stick it in the atty and then add your drip tip of choice.... it raises your drip tip up a bit and that way you don't get ANY juice spitting up at you as you are using it. I use these all the time now.

I hope that helps a little more.

Edited by DAYVAPE

Well, I did order the adapter, but now I am thinking I don't need it. Both my Ipro and my ego tube mod have enough space beneath the connector for the drip shield. I guess I will have it if I need it.

I will wait on "The universal" a bit, depends on if dripping drives me crazy or not :lol:

That's cool... I really didn't think it would be much of anything when I first saw it. But, whenever I dripped early on, I was always getting juice spitting back at me. This does fix that totally if you are one to have that issue like I did. I'll be the first to say that I didn't ever like 'dripping' either... but now that I have found my perfect setup it has become all that I do now! Once you find that 'sweet spot/setup' you will enjoy every minute of dripping, IMHO. For me, it just takes a combination of these small items to make it all perfect. LOL.

I might also add that the first thing I do is 'de-wick/de-bridge' the 510 atty that I'm going to use. Right now I'm using a HH357 from Avid Vapor... and it already came that way... ready to drip. (and an awesome atty too I might add)

Edited by DAYVAPE

You may want to consider just buying one or two that are made that way to begin with.

For example: (and I like these atty's as well... but he's out of stock right now.)

http://www.smartvape...9&products_id=3

There are other places that make 'dripping atty's'... but I have not tried them since I really like the two I mentioned already. Although, it's not hard to take a pair of tweezers and do it yourself either... there are YouTube vids on how to do it all over. All it entails is removing the little metal bridge that has mesh over it. I usually split the mesh in half right at the top of the bridge... then grab ahold of the mesh down low and give it a twist... it comes right out once you do that. You then repeat on the other side of the bridge with that half of the mesh. Then, the last thing you do is gently wiggle the metal bridge back and forth and pull it out. You can also LEAVE the metal bridge in if you don't want to attempt removing it. The main thing is to remove the mesh so you can get the extra little fibers of wicking material out. This is all MY opinion obviously... and others will not agree I'm sure.

I have also found that these atty's are really easy to de-wick/de-bridge also... and work great too!!

http://ivape.net/ind...zer-chrome.html

On another note... you can leave everything in the darn thing and drip with it as well!

Edited by DAYVAPE

I'm not sure... I just do both since I'm already digging around in it. LOL.

I think 'de-wicking' is probably the best of the two... since you are removing all the little extra fibers around the coil that can tend to get burnt up and leave you with a foul tasting atty.

Edited by DAYVAPE

so from what I understand the process of dewicking/debridging is to simply remove all the extra crap in an atty other than the coil itself? Basically eliminating anything that may leave you with leftover juice that may "burn" ruining the taste of the atty?

Pretty much what I would say... yep. I feel that I end up with a more pure/better tasting result... with no worry of those little fibers continuously burning till they are black and nasty!

Of course... it's all just what works for me.

Edited by DAYVAPE

I no longer have ne, only atty I have currently is a tank atty for my leo and I'll continue to use that for the tanks since its working well

I'd like to get a standard leo atty again first experience with them sucked (like deadpools) but I've heard great things about them so I'd like to revisit that.

also a new 901 atty for my 808s as again I hear good things

and then a lr 510, and a joye 306. So I've got some atty shopping to do on payday next friday :yes