Apollo V Tube Questions (Lava Tube Clone)

mjradik

Blucavvy enlightened me to a Lavatube clone in another thread. I’m going to order one as soon as I understand a couple things. Can someone please helpme on my questions, since I never used a VV device or mod before. Man I haven’t had questions like these since I was a noob to vaping… lol.. feels weird asking.. (This post is relating to the Apollo VTube http://www.apolloecigs.com/product_p/atube.htm)

1. I’m going to get the regular size. It comes with an 18650 2200mah bat. In tech specs, It says it provides 4.2v at peak charge, 3.3v at low level. How can the device go up to 6v? Does its circuitry do something to allow higher voltage than its battery? If the battery is almost dead will it be tough to get higher than 5v out of it?
  2. Was thinking about getting a couple Trustfire 18650, 2400mah battery from madvapes (http://www.madvapes.com/TrustFire-Protected-18650-Battery-2400-mah-_p_2753.html) to use with it. Will it fit? I’m assuming all 18650 bats are the same? I’m assuming the number/model of batteries are an international standard in size/etc?
  3. The bat it comes with says it is 4.2v, the trustfire says its 3.7v Does that matter? Again will the trustfire be able to achieve 5-6v?
  4. Mad vapes also has a 18650, 3000mah battery. I’m assuming the larger the mah, in theory, the longer they last? Its strange the trustfire has better reviews than the ultrafire…. I might just stick with the trustfire.
  5. I’m going to get the ego adapter so I can still use my EMDCC’s and possibly the ego-C if I get that at a later time. The adapter from mad vapes look better (has the cone threads), and its cheeper. I’m assuming it will work. (http://www.madvapes.com/510-Battery-to-eGo-Atomizer-Adapter-_p_3170.html)
  6. EMDCC’s are 1.6 ohms, so I’m assuming the VTube won’t let me use them at higher than 3.7 volts? I’m assuming using the VTube with the EMDCC’s will give me longer life and longer fresh 3.7 volts when compared to an ego battery?
  7. I’m a carto guy. Not going to go to a tank/carto mod yet. Can anyone recommend a good high resistance (2.5+ ohm) dual coil carto that’s mega in size? Comparable to the EMDCC? Preferably from Madvapes since I’m ordering other stuff from there.
  8. I would like a direct drip atty to ‘taste test’ my juices at different volts. The kits comes with an high resistance atty. Was going to pick up a couple, unless someone can recommend a good atty that’s works great for direct drip from mad vapes.

Thanks… sorry for the very long post… man it feels weird being a newbie again, lol.

The Lavatube has a booster circuit board that bumps up the voltage to acheive the higher voltages. You should only use the AW IMR 18650 batts. Protected 18650's are too long and the bottom cap wont seat all the way. You can use lower res atty and cartos but the tube will bump your voltage down to 3.7 if you start pulling too many amps ( I believe its a 2 amp limit?)

The Lavatube has a booster circuit board that bumps up the voltage to acheive the higher voltages. You should only use the AW IMR 18650 batts. Protected 18650's are too long and the bottom cap wont seat all the way. You can use lower res atty and cartos but the tube will bump your voltage down to 3.7 if you start pulling too many amps ( I believe its a 2 amp limit?)

What does AW IMR mean? Ok So 'protectecd' batts are a little longer. I did see a review in the UltraFire 18650 that said "This battery works fine but it wont work with a lavatube. It has an extender and makes it too long. I just tore off the extender chip on the end and still used it but its just a battery after that." So I guess technically if I wanted to pay less money, and get more mah, I could get the ultrafire 3000mah, and pull off the protected curciut, then it would just be a normal battery.

Is there a 'Protected' batt thats the same size of a normal 18650? What does protected mean? Doesn't the VTube have all the 'protecting' curcuits inside of the device so there is no need for a protected batt?

Lastly, what the general rule of thumb for ohms to volt usage? I read one place that 1.6 and 1.7ohm should only be used at 3.7v. But I've seen videos of people using 1.7ohm at 4.2 volts. And made vapes says thier 1.6ohm cartos can be used upto 5 volts? With a 3-6v VV device that this is, what is a good 'middle ground' 2.0ohm, 2.5ohm, 3.0ohm?

Thanks. I found this video, and its explains the battery and stuff....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG8wSZRpBOE&feature=related

HOWEVER, after seing this great review below, I'm having second thoughts about this device. In addition to higher ohm cartos, I would also like to use my LR stuff at 3.7v, which the documentation says it does, but sccording to this review, it doesn't, I don't want to vape at 3.1v, that suxxx... like vaping off a almost dead battery all the time.

I think ur worrying about the lr stuff too much, a 3.0ohm carto is going to react completely different at 5+v than it does at 3.5-3.7v

ur vapor will be plenty warm enough :yes

Just to update everyone.... I did some more research. Based on youtube reviews, I was under the impression that ALL dual coil cartos don't work well with the LT. However, thats not the case.. Only 1.5 ohm. I have found people that have hoked up 2.5 ohm and 3.0 ohm dual coil cartos to a voltmeter on the LT, and got ALL range of volts. a 2.0 ohm only got to 4.4 volts. A 1.5 - 1.7 ohm won';t get above 3.8 volts. And some LR single coil or LR attys won't get above 3.3 volts.

In short, I'm ordering my VTube tomorrow. However, madvapes is all out of thier 2.5 ohm cartos that work in thier tanks. I'm going to get thier tank and 2.5 ohm''s when they come in. If I like it, and I'm sure I will, I will sell most of my 1.5 -1,7 ohm and LR stuff to my sister in law..

My 3.5 ml tank that uses a Boge carto won't leak or flood unless I try to force

too much juice in while filling,otherwise it doesn't care how i lay it down

or throw it around.

I haven't tried the Smok tech tanks though so not sure about those.

I am still thinking on the tank. Not sure how it will do carrying it around at work. I work at a garden center. Wondering if it will flood it if it isn't up straight all the time. Just don't know!

Yea, that is one reason why I waited so long to get a mod. I'm self employed, so I either work out of my house, or at different clients all day. The LT will work great at home, and in the car, but I won't exactly be able to put it in my pocket when I go to a client site, which I do now with my ego/carto. If I'm in the city at a client, and am parking 10 minutes away from the building in a parcking garage, can't exactly go back out to my car everytime to vape.... Guess I'll keep and ego bat and LR carto on me when I go places like that.

ohhh.... I found this.... Great reference to what volts can be used on what ohm. The LT has a 2.5 amp limit. However, based on research, it seems the limit is more like 2.2. Because in theory, a 2.0 ohm should go up to 5 volts, at 2.5 amps, but people with volt meters say they can't get more than 4.4 volts on a 2.0 ohm. I'm ordered 2.5 ohm anyways, so I'm should be good.

But looks like the LT won't let me vape my EMDCCs above 3.5 volts (according to the chart and 2.2 more accurate amp limit) I also ordered a inline volt meter, so I will know for sure when it comes in laster this week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlZnGjZRjO_UdGo3VVlnVHY0VExZLVd5aDkwUEJEZXc#gid=1

uh.. oh... I'm starting to dislike my lava tube... First off, I think I may have a bad battery (not the lava tube's fault)... Battery life SUX. Its a 2200 mah. My ego is a 900mah. So in theory, if I vape my lavatube at 3.7v at all times, the battery should last twice as long... Well nope.. Its only lasting HALF as long as my ego battery.

And second, voltage is horrible as the battery dies. The instructions state it will maintain voltage even as the battery discharges... Well not really. Only after about an hour or so of vaping, the voltage on my battery dropped to 3.5v (from a 4.2 max) I notice the vaping on my resurrector starting to suck.. hook up my volt meter. The resurrector, now is also only vaping at 3.5 volts, not 4.1, as with a freshly charged batt. The EMDCC and the 1.6 DC are now vaping at 3.0-3.1 volts. (compared to 3.6 and 4.2 with fresh batt) The 2.5 DC, is vaping at 4.1 volts (not 4.9) and the 3.0 atty is vaping at 4.6 volts (not 5.6).... GEEZE THATS HORRIBLE.

I dunno if I'm going to keep using this.. I could always warrenty the battery, but prolly not worth it if I'm going to take advantage of apollo's 30 day money back guarentee. As of now, with the exception of getting 4.1volts on my resurrector for about 20-30 minutes, my ego battery is out preforming my lavatube...

Mjradik you have me worried now. I was about to buy one of the Apollo vtubes but I decided to see what others had to say about it.

Can anyone confirm that as the battery dies the volts will drop as well or could it be the battery?

Jeffb you said you have loved it for 2 months now, have you experienced and tested this?

I just want to make sure before I buy it because this will be my first vv device as well.

Mjradik you have me worried now. I was about to buy one of the Apollo vtubes but I decided to see what others had to say about it.

Can anyone confirm that as the battery dies the volts will drop as well or could it be the battery?

Jeffb you said you have loved it for 2 months now, have you experienced and tested this?

I just want to make sure before I buy it because this will be my first vv device as well.

What matters most is vape quality. With my lavatube i didn't notice vape quality start to drop until my batteries only had an hour or so left in them. Easy fix...pop in a new battery :)

If you get the aw 2000Mah 18650 it should last you 15+hours

With a 1500mah imr i was getting around 12 hours.

Also not all carto tanks will work on it. Watch pbusardos review. Its the vv zmod or something like that. He just recently did the review.

The only thing i don't like about the lava tube is the button placement but other than that its a solid mod. Much prefer the Buzz though :)

sent from my Ice Cream Sandwiched Gtablet

Edited by bobthesalesclerk

Well I know I have a bum battery, it only lasts 4 hours.. But does that bum battery cause the voltage to drop off? I dunno. I'll report back in a few days when my new battery arrives. I do know this, I can totally tell when my vaping quality is noticabley less. I can tell after about 1 hour on the battery, but it doesn;t become an issue until about 2-3 hours into the battery. Ofcourse it all depends on the carto I'm using too. Now if I had a good battery I would suspect to get close to 8 hours of good vaping before I notice it dying off.

I dont notice a decrease in vape quality until right before the batt dies. ( maybe the last 5-10 puffs) I can always tell. I experience this with the Provari and eGo also, so its not limited to the Lavatube.