Wood Tube Mod

whokrz

I made a Ecig - How They Are Made page

http://gentrywoodtur...s.php?id_cms=11

Now everyone can see all of the work that goes into these.

I also turned my first indulgence for Txtumbleweed. It has a tube, cone and drip tip.

txtumbleweedindulgence.JPG

txtumbleweedindulgence2.JPG

Yes it is beautiful and I should have it in my hand in a couple of days! I can't wait to put a kick in it and test it out.

Very nice, hope you don't mind I tried my hand at it.

I have a metal lathe but I worked it by hand with a wood chisel. 47a28714-adbd-969c.jpg

Sent from my GalaxyNexus

I don't mind at all it is awesome seeing other peoples work. Does that unit have a removable battery tube? If not how did you go about making it?

Another for fun, this time I messed up mandrel, ill turn a new mandrel tomorrow. 47a28714-fc9b-ddaf.jpg

Sent from my GalaxyNexus

So it is a sleeve. I should have kept reading I would have found the mandrel post. I am jealous you can make your own mandrel. Maybe someday I will get around to the metal lathe that sits in my garage collecting dust.

I had a pre-order that I forgot about and didn't turn like I was supposed to on Thursday(lathe day). So I turned it today so that the customer will not have to wait due to my mistake.

It is a XL3 made with Amboyna Burl. The 3 pictures are all of the same unit.

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3576.JPG

IMG_3577.JPG

Today I received a XL3 from discountvapers. The XL3 is a VV 3.0v-4.2v 18650. It looks like it will be possible to turn wood on that tube.

On there forum http://discountvaper...-td4121876.html

Posted by dowtort

Just FYI, that XL3 will take 2 CR123a batteries. It's not just that it will "tolerate" the higher voltage, it'll actually give you one more (green) voltage choice... on mine, green is around 5V.

dowtort is not the owner of discountvapers. I also do not know enough about electronics to say this is safe or not. I just thought the information may help to answer your question.

Previously I posted information from the discountvapers forum. It is quoted above.

From LordDavon on the ECF

"Doesn't everyone try and see what happens when you pop 2x 18350's in one? Oh, result isn't good... and the smell takes a while to get out of the house.mrgreen.gif "

LordDavon tried 18350s where dowtort used cr123a batteries. Again I don't know much about batteries just passing the information I find along.

More info on the contest.

LordDavon is going to do a review/contest on one of my mods. He will be running the contest how he sees fit. I am guessing it will be held in 1-3 weeks. At this time the only real information I have is a link to his youtube page. http://www.youtube.com/davsolomon As I receive more information I will post it up. Hopefully it will be a good review. I am rather nervous, but I think it will be good for people that are interested in getting more information about them.

More pictures.

These are of a XL3mini in redwood burl. All three pictures are of the same unit.

XL3m-005a.JPG

XL3m-005b.JPG

XL3m-005c.JPG

These are pictures of a DCT in brown ebony. I wish I could find clear caps so the wood would be uninterupted to match other wood parts, but will allow the user to see the fluid level. Both pictures are of the same unit.

DCT-001a.JPG

DCT-001b.JPG

More contest info.

It will be one of the burl 18650 VV XL3s. It was shipped to LordDavon. The address is 2 posts up. I assume you may have to subscribe, but them again I don't know much about youtube.

If anyone has any questions I will do my best answer them.

beautiful mods whokrz.

I'd love to see one of these done with the lavatube... I'd ****** that up so fast...

more please! :thumbsup:

p.s. you are not the only one without a facebook account. I hate social media!

being a very private person, don't like the idea of my business plastered all over the net... only thing that sux, can't enter lot of the contests and things. minor price to pay I guess, though wish they'd stop limiting contests like that for the rest of us. :mad:

edit: why did the software censor "s n a t ch"?... oh wait, never mind... :blush:

Edited by Mainspring

beautiful mods whokrz.

I'd love to see one of these done with the lavatube... I'd ****** that up so fast...

edit: why did the software censor "s n a t ch"?... oh wait, never mind... :blush:

LOL I was trying to figure out what word got censored. I couldn't figure out why you would want to "F" one up :lol:

beautiful mods whokrz.

p.s. you are not the only one without a facebook account. I hate social media!

being a very private person, don't like the idea of my business plastered all over the net... only thing that sux, can't enter lot of the contests and things. minor price to pay I guess, though wish they'd stop limiting contests like that for the rest of us. :mad:

I wish I could make one for a lavatube. The lavatube has the switch in the tube. If I put wood on it the switch would be buried. I hear they are making a stainless one that I might be able to do something with, but i don't know if I could take one apart without breaking it.

More pictures

IND-001a.jpg

IND-001b.jpg

IND-001c.jpg

Tigers Pre-order Indulgence in redwood burl with the cone drilled to fit a 3.5 Vision

Thanks Tiger for this idea

LX3-011c.jpg

XL3 in Box Elder Burl (black/green)

XL3-010c.jpg

XL3 in redwood

XL3m-007c.jpg

XL3 Mini in Iron Wood Burl (dark)

XL3m-008c.jpg

XL3 Mini in York Gum

It is looking like I am going to get laid off for the rest of the week and possibly part of the next. This should allow us to finish up my mom's rental house where I have been working every weekend. If everything goes as planned I should be able to start making wood tubes and cones in small batches within 2-3 months instead of 6 months.

Currently I turn at my fathers house which is an hour away. I will be setting up my lathe and other tools in my garage so that in 2-3 months I will be able to turn more frequently. In 2-3 months this should allow me to make 4-16 a month compared to 1-4 a month.

I do plan on selling these, but the prices will vary with the material used, the finish and how long they take to make.

Price = material + $20 per hour.

Out of the $20 per hour comes the cost of a felt sleeve, sandpaper, glue, activator, paper towels, dust masks, broken blanks, electricity, time spent shipping packages, time taking pictures, time posting to store and PayPal takes 3%. By the time everything is said and done I should be around $14 per hour. This will generally be used to buy more supplies and tools.

I will be using wood with a CA finish like the picture and acrylic. The CA looks nice but is vulnerable to rough use. The acrylic should hold up better to rough use. I will also try experimenting with friction polish and other finishes that will retain the wood look but will not be stained by e-liquid. These should be about the same price as the acrylic taking 1 hour to make.

Wood battery tube with a CA finish

Labor 2 hours = $40

Battery parts = $9

Wood $5-$15

Total = $54-$64

Acrylic battery tube

Labor 1 hour = $20

Battery parts = $9

Wood $10-$16

Total = $39-$45

Wood battery cone with a CA finish

Labor 2 hours = $40

Battery parts = $4

Wood $3-$8

Total = $47-$52

Acrylic battery cone

Labor 1 hour = $20

Battery parts = $4

Wood $5-$8

Total = $29-$32

These prices are not fixed in stone but I think they should be very close.

I made a website about a year ago that would be activated when I have more time to turn. If there is an interest in these I will be selling them at http://www.gentrywoodturning.com. Currently the site functions, but the paypal is not active and almost all of the pens have been sold.

I have ordered 5 tubes and cones from hoosier to play around with. I will post pictures when I get one finished.

If you stuck around to read all that what are your thoughts?

Hey there i do not have there catalog on hand any more but you can order all the epower and pretty much all e cig parts directly from the manufacture smoktech tubes if i remember right are like 40 cents a piece but you have to have them shipped out of china but you can make it worth your while if you pick up some batteries and other parts while you do it and smoktech will work with paypal . they will hook you up it is all done over email and there website chat program. just thought you might wanna know if your going to try and sell these and turn a profit ya know

I am currently working with discountvapers for the parts. He sends me any parts I request at no cost. I then put wood on them and mail them back to him. He then puts them for sale on his site.

This works out really nice for customers because he takes care of any bad switches and other problems with the e-cig unit. He also has fast shipping, great customer service and customers can purchase other stuff they need at the same time and save on shipping. This is all stuff that I do not have time to offer.

The prices that you quoted are not actually accurate any longer. I really should have corrected them but never gave it much thought. Each piece of wood takes me 1.5 - 2 hours to make it depending on how the wood turns and finishes. It doesn't matter if it is a drip tip or a battery tube. I am charge $20 per piece 25%-50% less than quoted before. Discountvapers charges $10 per unit. This covers his shipping parts back and forth, posting to his site, taking orders and shipping to you,

Here is the formula for pricing

(($20 * pieces) + wood + $10 for DV + ecig parts)) * 4% credit processing

For a XL3(including switch) with a wood tube/cone and a $20 piece of box elder it would look like

(($20 * 2) + $20 + $10 + $31.48) * 1.04 = $105.54

I see $40 for 3-4 hours of work out of that I still have to buy all the disposables. When I get done I make about $9 per hour. I don't create these to make money. I just do it because it is fun.

i could not find the tanks or drip tips on their site that you wrap in wood? could you shoot me a link?

i'm not interested in a mod, but depending on the cost the drip tip and tank may be items i'd look in to.

currently I just make drip tips for the units. I would be happy to take a custom order for a drip tip if you would like one.

There is currently only one tank for sale it can be found under wood mods on discountvapers. I will be making more tanks in the future, hopefully in a week or two. There is also a custom order for the tanks as well if you do not like that wood.