Alternative To The Epipe

Deadpool809

Thanks to everyone for the advice before -

As I may have posted, I was a daily pipe smoker, and decided to try out the ecig as an alternative to cut back. I eventually settled on the DSE601 pipe, and ordered some juice from Alien Visions.

Well, it's been about 2 weeks, and I both love and hate it. On the plus side - when the 601 works, it really works. I really enjoy the vapor it puts out when it is working well, and it is more than an adequate substitute for the old "analog" pipe. On the mixed side, I find I don't enjoy smoking my pipe as much as I did - the original plan was to smoke it once a week, but after one week setting it aside, something felt really off about it. I guess that is a good thing, but I really liked smoking a pipe, so I am not totally happy with that. It's a good mark for the vaporizer though.

Unfortunately there are some drawbacks. The unit came with one bad battery, and the other one barely lasts three hours. Also, after a couple of days, I started to notice a real inconsistency with the vapor production. I thought there was a problem with the pipe itself - but I came to realize that the problem might be battery and cartridge related. I can't do anything about the former until the new ones come in the mail, but I have been experimenting with "mods" on the latter.

I tried the "drill a tiny hole in the bottom of the cartridge" thing - and that works pretty well, but it ends up being really messy.

I tried the "straw mod" - and that just floods my pipe with juice.

I tried the blue foam mod - and that seems to work best of all, but I can't seem to get it just right. I either use too much or too little filler, and haven't got the balance right so that it gives good vapor without flooding the pipe.

I've come to the realization that MAYBE the pipe isn't the best way to go. I got it originally because I liked pipe smoking, and thought this would make it easier to transition. Well - I guess it worked - I realized I liked vaping. But I don't like the frustration of this unit.

So is the ePipe form over function? Are all vaporizers this difficult to work with? Or is there another kind that is less touchy that I would be happy with? My main requirement is that I want a lot of vapor. I don't care so much about "throat hit" since I stopped being an "inhaler" years ago when I quit cigarettes. I'm willing to sacrifice flavor, as long as I can get a good draw with a ton of vapor.

Any suggestions?

Same principle applies really - the guts are the same on both, the pipe is just bigger. At least, that's what I think. Problem I am seeing is that the principle behind the cartridge dripping into the atomizer doesn't really work as well with a pipe configuration.

I am using VG - and I did buy a cheapo eCig from a smoke shop to test it out before spending the cash on the pipe. The same fluid in the pipe blew the ecig away in terms of vapor production. When the pipe works - it works and I love it. Just hoping for similar performance with something a little more consistent.

Edited by Deadpool809

Typically in the vaping world, cartridges don't work well, which is why you learned about all the cartridge mods, which typically don't work that great either. That's why so many of us direct drip or use cartomizers. You may want to consider getting an eGo and some cartomizers. If you like that, you can invest in a Jazz pipe down the road.

I recommend starting off cheaply if possible and moving into the higher end hardware as you build up fluency with ecigs. You might try picking up a joye 510 or an 801 to start with. they are cheap, easy to use and if the hardware goes out on you, fairly easy to get replacement parts quickly. There is nothing worse than wearing out the F5 key on USPS.gov trying to see when your order is coming in. You might give those a try and come back to the pipe in a month or so when you have a better feel for the vaping world. You can pick up starter kits for under $40 on most sites and a bottle of your favorite juice for under $10.

Most important thing, DON'T GIVE UP! just like everything Vaping has a bit of a learning curve. The benefit is, you will realize a lot of extra cash over the cost of bulk tobacco. I smoked a pipe for years myself mostly because of the awesome flavor. Now with ecigs, I can duplicate that flavor at a fraction of the cost, and with no lingering smell.

Good luck!

You mentioned that your battery barely lasts three hours, so I don't think you would be happy with the standard 510 or the 801. The batteries on those won't last two hours. I can't give any comments on the epipe since I've never use one, but I can recommend the eGo. Much longer battery life, still uses the 510 atty and has just about all the options you'd want so that you can try everything out and see what works for you.

I actually get really good battery life out of my 801. I charge overnight and get through the workday fine. Weekends I can run it down, but the real benefit is that they are inexpensive and you can have a backup and rotate your batteries. The eGo is a great option too but my suggestion was more to provide an inexpensive alternative to his Epipe which was already a pretty penny. Whatever option you choose, keep trying until you find what you like. Vaping can be a little intimidating when you first start out, and you are already steps ahead by reading the forums. Good luck all!

Price-wise, I am not horribly worried - I am most interested in vapor production, and would like something with a little more bulk than a normal ecig. I'm good at the sub $100 range for this one.

The battery life isn't a huge concern, as long as I can have a couple on hand. As it was, the 601 came with 2, and one of them doesn't work at all. I ordered it from focalprice - going for value, but I realize that ordering from a Chinese company was a mistake. After some serious bitching, they agreed to send me another unit (without charging me, very nice), so assuming it arrives intact, I will likely just sell it. That whole deal is another story all together. So I do have a chance to recover some of what I spent on the pipe, so that's a plus. (Anyone interested? :lol:)

Regarding the cartomizers... I am still a little in the dark about those. Are they refillable? How expensive are they? How long do they usually last?

I looked at the eGo, and saw some mixed reviews (saw something about a different gizmo you can attach to it to increase vapor production?)... the one I saw said something about a tank atomizer system. Is that as good as a cartomizer?

Other question is about the juice ... I understand VG is the way to go, but I read something about the eGo that said you shouldn't use more than 30% VG in them. Is that correct?

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by Deadpool809

The Joye eGo is well under a $100.00 and is a remarkable unit.

The eGo also comes with 2 batts :)

I personal love cartos (cartomizers) they can be refilled more than once and most say they last a couple of days although I've had one last a month (don't know if it's just luck or I'm smoking a ruined one....lol)

Can't help you on the gizmo but I'm sure someone will :)

I use a 50/50 mix in my cartos with no problem.

Edited by Viper Ron

I am curious about that "tank atomizer" model... anyone have experience with that one?

If you go with the tanks, get the LR version - they seem to work better. Like everything else with vaping, some love them, some hate them. I've had a few that worked great and a few that didn't work so well. My wife on the other had had been using them since March and has had good luck with them. You'd probably get better vapor and flavor with a carto though.

Well, I am still waiting on the new 601 to come - and have decided I am going to turn around and sell that thing as soon as it comes.

So I was doing some research, and more research, and more ... and then started to think about making the order. I thought about it, and I realized I did not relish the prospect of waiting, especially since there has been so much of that so far dealing with the broken 601. I remembered seeing a post about a store in Laguna Beach called eCig City (I'm in Huntington Beach, just a half-hour up PCH), and decided to go up there. He had the eGo for a couple bucks cheaper, and I'd be saving on time and shipping, so why not?

I went in and explained what I was looking for - the guy there (Jason I think?) was extremely helpful. After talking with him a bit, I ended up walking out with a Boge Leo. It was $20 cheaper than the eGo, and it had the bulk I liked. I bought an extra battery and a couple of cartomizers, and took it home - puffing on the horrible tobacco flavor the whole way that came with the unit. The taste wasn't my thing, but I liked everything else about it.

I then tried to fill up one of the cartomizers. That didn't go well. The first time I have seen one of those things, and I didn't realize you can't just squirt it in there, I don't know if I ruined it or not, but most of the juice leaked out of the bottom and while I thought it was full, I guess it wasn't. A few puffs into it I got a burning taste, and adding more to it really only helped for a couple minutes. I dripped juice into another one a little more slowly, giving it time to absorb, and that one worked a LOT better. That took forever though - I don't know if that's normal, or if it's the VG I am using, but I read you are supposed to use a syringe - so I ordered one of those to see if it makes it easier.

I have to admit - I am kind of torn. I am not sure I like the cartomizer better than the atomizer. The way the vapor tastes between the two is completely different - and I don't think it is in a god way. The former does put out more vapor I think, but the latter is smoother - more flavorful. I am not sure how to describe it, but I think I like the atomizer better. Going to smoke out the nasty tobacco flavor it came with and put in some stuff I like, and see how the regular atomizer is with that.

Anyway, the thing is already performing better than the half-functional 601 I first got. After seeing some reviews, I am pretty convinced I just got a really bad unit (that, or I really have no idea what I am doing). Anyway - this works. now I need to order more juice...

Thanks for the advice :) now to figure out my atty/carto dilemma.

Trust me... you will like cartomizers MUCH more if you would use PG instead of VG! I use all PG and it works like a champ in the Boge LR cartos... it's the only thing I need to be a happy vaper. I have tried blends of PG/VG and it was horrible compared to the 100% PG ! Not even a comparison... the PG soaks in nice and quick when dripped down the inside walls of the cartos. Topping off is not an issue at all... after you've taken a good 8-10 drags, you can then 'top-off' with 4 or 5 drops onto the filler material, and vape away again.

So, since you like the pipes, have you looked at everything here: http://www.epipemods.com/index.php

These use the eGo style attys or cartomizers:

gnarly_pipes_020_4.jpg

And of course the cool tips/stems:

dsc00484.jpg

But I think I'm going to get myself a good ol 'Block Pipe'! I've seen these bad boys put out the vapor with a single AW18650 High Drain ! Oh yeah!

img_3425.jpg

See what you've gone and done now?? You've got me wanting to buy another freakin' mod... in the form of a wooden corn-cob box pipe!! Darn you!

Edited by DAYVAPE

Yeah, I did check that site out ... the price was steep for a "learner" I thought. better to spend what I did and figure all the ins and outs before plunking down that kind of cash.

I ordered some 10/90 VG/PG, so we will see if that makes a difference. Trying a ton of different things, and it is getting expensive!

Boy did that make a difference - I got a syringe, and it doesn't matter how thick the stuff is, it is harder to get it into the syringe than it is to fill the cartos now. the 100% VG works just fine.

And the result is way better than it was before. I still like the atomizer, but the cartos are probably going to be my default now.

I am now actively trying to empty the 4ml cartomizer... I want to see how long I can smoke it for before refilling (now that I am not wasting juice, I'd like to know how long it really lasts me). I loaded this one last night and it is still going. Very satisfied on that end, but I am starting to get sick of the banana.... :lol:

That's not what I expected to hear... '100% VG works just fine' ??

Heck, I never even had much luck with 50% VG when it came to cartos! Just too thick for my vape pace I guess... I suppose if you took a couple drags and let it sit for a bit before you hit it again, then maybe. But I just like the ease of use, better flavor, and more throat hit with the PG based juices. We all prefer it differently... which is what is so great about vaping, there is a little something for everyone!

That's not what I expected to hear... '100% VG works just fine' ??

Heck, I never even had much luck with 50% VG when it came to cartos! Just too thick for my vape pace I guess... I suppose if you took a couple drags and let it sit for a bit before you hit it again, then maybe. But I just like the ease of use, better flavor, and more throat hit with the PG based juices. We all prefer it differently... which is what is so great about vaping, there is a little something for everyone!

I tell you, I am a smokestack here... I am still at that phase where my body is used to actually burning tobacco. I find myself dragging repeatedly, and have to force myself to slow it down... but it isn't because it isn't producing. One thing I haven't needed to do is wait... it seems to hit just fine.

The rest - well, that's all subjective as you said! I won't argue if they are better or worse... that is a matter of taste to be sure.

I have used the mixed PG/VG and the 100% VG, I actually prefer the VG. It does seem to take longer to fill a cartomizer because of the thickness of it, but it also seems to last a little longer than the mix. I can produce huge clouds of vapor with the VG if I wanted to. I try not to make a spectacle of myself with it though. I will admit that the mixes do tend to taste a little stronger, however from what I have seen the vapor production does seem quite faint in comparison. I guess it depends on your setup. I use a standard eGo-T battery with a Smok Dual Coil Cartomizer.

I have never thought of ordering a 100% PG. If all people say the VG creates the smoke/vapor, what would PG do?