Some Voltage Questions

I USE BOTH voltage, a 5.0v device with a 2.0 carto is TOO MANY WATTS (12.5is), you get a slight burnt taste, carto lasts 2-3 days a 5.0v with a 3.0 standard res carto is still pumping out 9+ watts, almost too much for me. buy a $10 5v passthrough to try it out first before you spend all that cash..... i love my 3.7v SD with 2.0 cartos, its about 8 WATTS, PLENTY OF VAPOR!!!

You don't want to use LR attys at 5V (it would most likely pop the atty). A 1.5ohm LR atty at 3.7V will give you about 9 watts (heat). A 2.2ohm atty (standard Joye 510) will give you about 11 watts. While it's not he same, it's close. A 3 ohm atty at 5V will give you about 8 watts.

Some liquids are better at higher voltage or lower resistance as well.You just hasta experiment ,the 5 volt passthrough is a very good idea and it may keep you in business during a failure of batteries or charger.I would also recomend a wall wart power supply for it.

Variable voltage is the key. You can buy a 5V box mod and use 510 standard resistance (3 ohms) atomizers which makes for a great vape. But I have purchased 510 SR atomizers that are as low as 2.2 ohms and that is just way too much heat for a 5V box mod. In fact, most 2.2ohm atomizers will just burn out instantly at 5 volts.

No two atomizers are the same so I may go from a 510 SR atty that is 3.0 ohms on to a 510 SR atty that is 2.5 ohms. With variable voltage, I can adjust the voltage so that my preferred wattage output remains the same. These days I am puffing away on a 510 LR atomizer at 4.0 volts which feels similar to a 510 SR atomizer (3ohm) at 5.0 volts.

You can just get an Ego battery and slap an LR 510 atomizer onto it and it will vape a whole lot better than a SR 510 atomizer, but Ego batteries don't handle the load of LR atomizers so well and don't really deliver more than 3.3 or 3.4 volts.

Edited by Emile

It really just depends on what you plan to use most of the time. For me, knowing I like LR cartos, there is no reason for variable voltage... 3.7v / high drain batts work just great on my mods. Now, if you plan to use different attys, then I would agree a VV MOD would be helpful. Although the few vv mods I have rarely even get changed from where my 'happy spot' is. Not sure I would recommend them to everyone as a must have... but a nice optional piece of vape gear for sure.

There is more to the VV mods like my Provari than just being able to adjust the voltage. When I set my voltage at 4.7 volts, it stays there until the batt is out. Other devices that just have a battery and switch will see a voltage drop ( thus drop in vapor production) throughout its cycle.