Making The Jump To 5V Or Vv Vaping - Options?

soso

Hey gang

I've been using my eGo PT for several months now and it's still working great, but I got a small bonus from work recently and it seems like the right time to move up to a more hardcore PV at either 5V or a VV system.

I know a lot of you are going to recommend the Provari, and I have considered it, but at $153 for the PV plus another $50 for batteries and charger (which I do not have an will need), I'd now be looking at over $200, which is more than I'm willing to spend on a PV right now.

I've spent all night searching and watching reviews, but I'm still having a hard time nailing it down and I would really value your input.

I have a few important requirements:

• 5V or VV; otherwise I have no reason to switch from my trusty eGo.
  • Smaller size; I can go a little bigger than the eGo but not much. I carry this thing in my pocket all day and really don't want to look like I'm sucking on a lightsaber. A reasonably-sized box mod is not out of the question, but I prefer tube mods.
  • Battery life; currently my 650mAh eGo lasts me all day at stock voltage. I'm satisfied with this. I don't need something that can vape constantly for 20 hours, but I don't want to be swapping batteries all day either.
  • > or = about $150; for a complete setup. I don't need attys or juice to come with it. I have those.
  • 510 compatibility; this would seem like a given, but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks in advance!

Although VV is all they hype, I can only think of 4 vendors selling VV PVs (other than modders). Notcigs.com, Vaprlife.com, Provape.com and Nhaler carries the Darwin.

Notcigs just came out with it's upgraded Buzz (the Buzz Pro). It's $159 with one set of batteries and charger. You'd probably want to add another set, so you're up to $170. Then you'd need a volt meter attachment so you know what you have the voltage set at which is another $10. Heck, may as well get the Provari. :)

Vaprlife has several models, but if you want any battery life you'd want to look at the Joker or the Diamante. They have a Joker kit which is pretty reasonable. I used a Joker VV for several months before I got my Provari and it's pretty nice. You can also get it with Pulse now, so you'll get better battery life. It's very light weight. Without the batteries in it, you'd be surprised at how light it is.

2]I recently bought the Diamante from Vaprlife, and I really like it. the battery life lasts a full day, and for me that is awesome. It has a voltmeter built in, and voltage is adjusted by convenient up and down buttons, instead of a jeweler’s screwdriver. It uses 2 16340 batteries, and comes with your choice of 510 or 801 fittings, and your choice of colors. I will try to find the time to write a full review at some point soon, but for now I can tell you that I highly recommend this mod. If you don't mind their standard ball bearing switch, it's definitely worth your consideration.

Edited by miatafrank

For the amount of money I spent on the ProVari, I find it way to tempermental. It goes through atty's like candy if you run it at higher voltage. I have tried different ohms on attys with mixed results. It seems that if I keep it at 4.1 volts they seem to last longer. I spent $250 on this set and I really question if it was worth it.

For the amount of money I spent on the ProVari, I find it way to tempermental. It goes through atty's like candy if you run it at higher voltage. I have tried different ohms on attys with mixed results. It seems that if I keep it at 4.1 volts they seem to last longer. I spent $250 on this set and I really question if it was worth it.

Higher voltage is rough on attys. Before VV existed I was vaping at 6V on a Silver Bullet. I use regular Joye 510 2.2ohm attys and was only getting 1-2 weeks most of the time and occasionally would pop one on the first hit. I also tried some HV attys and various ohms, but didn't get any better results. After getting the Joker I started dropping my voltage. I've found that 4.9V with a 2.2ohm Joye 510 is a very nice vape (for me). At 4.9V attys are lasting 4-6 weeks.

There is now available a VV for the eGo, called the eGo Booster. It costs around $60.00. Just twist it onto the eGo and slide the switch anywhere from 3.7 to 4.8 I believe.

Edited by Uma

Hobbie? To the OP.....

I've stayed with 3.7 vaping for several reasons. Your juice will remain consistent in flavor tone, your equipment and delivery device will not vary much, and VV will have you in hobbie mode, rather than vaping for pleasure IMO.

Here's the gig as I see it: Once you leave the standard 3.7 you may complicate things towards ohm, resistance, burning juice etc. The range for 3.7 is very wide, but once you move to 5 volts etc......you'll be spending a lot more money unless you settle at this range. Some juices burn at 5 volts, your carto and atty purchases will need to match the voltage, and there are many other variables. VV means it does not matter what carto I buy?

From what I've gathered over the years (please chime in, if I'm in error) there is very little difference in 5 volts with 2.8 ohms and 3.7 with 2.0 ohms. So what's the point? I've vaped at 6.0 volts and it requires a whole different set up than 3.7, while juice had to change, different equipment had to be purchased, and all manner of silly things. I picked up my 3.7 and ran the same thing I've been running for 2 years....no problem.

Taking up fishing, golf, or cycling takes initial investment and vaping is no different. I guess it came down to enjoyment and analog replacement for me. The hobby can be fun and it depends on your budget and priorities. I for one do not need VV because I get the same result (seemingly) out of matching the delivery device and juice at 3.7.

Now if I was to win the MI lotto tomorrow.........I'd take a Provari and set it at 4.2 while enjoying 2.0 resistance, just as now. No juice change, no carto or atty change, and no worries. Golden it would be.

Edited by maverick

Hobbie? To the OP.....

I've stayed with 3.7 vaping for several reasons. Your juice will remain consistent in flavor tone, your equipment and delivery device will not vary much, and VV will have you in hobbie mode, rather than vaping for pleasure IMO.

Here's the gig as I see it: Once you leave the standard 3.7 you may complicate things towards ohm, resistance, burning juice etc. The range for 3.7 is very wide, but once you move to 5 volts etc......you'll be spending a lot more money unless you settle at this range. Some juices burn at 5 volts, your carto and atty purchases will need to match the voltage, and there are many other variables. VV means it does not matter what carto I buy?

From what I've gathered over the years (please chime in, if I'm in error) there is very little difference in 5 volts with 2.8 ohms and 3.7 with 2.0 ohms. So what's the point? I've vaped at 6.0 volts and it requires a whole different set up than 3.7, while juice had to change, different equipment had to be purchased, and all manner of silly things. I picked up my 3.7 and ran the same thing I've been running for 2 years....no problem.

Taking up fishing, golf, or cycling takes initial investment and vaping is no different. I guess it came down to enjoyment and analog replacement for me. The hobby can be fun and it depends on your budget and priorities. I for one do not need VV because I get the same result (seemingly) out of matching the delivery device and juice at 3.7.

Now if I was to win the MI lotto tomorrow.........I'd take a Provari and set it at 4.2 while enjoying 2.0 resistance, just as now. No juice change, no carto or atty change, and no worries. Golden it would be.

I think you are missing the point of variable voltage. If you get a 5v mod, you will be vaping at 5v all the time, and you would have a lot of valid points. If you stick to 3.7v units, it's a straight battery which will fade over time, along with your pleasure. A variable voltage mod can be adjusted to whatever you want, not just 5v, and it is regulated voltage. That means that your hits are consistent from the time you put in a fresh set of batteries until the batteries need recharging. If you get a variable voltage unit that you like, and it's doing the job for you, you won't NEED to keep buying stuff, and it doesn't have to go into the realm of "hobby".

If you DO decide to buy a new variable voltage PV at some point because you like the new features, I would compare that to buying a new ipod rather than a hobby. If your first ipod held 8gig, it works fine until it's full, and you have more stuff to load in and no more room. So if you go out and buy a 160gig ipod for more space, is that a hobby?

Good points and concur for the most part.

Was speaking more towards the investment. Chimed in with the expected result, and my personal experience. Have run Joye Ego's for two years now at 3.2 (whatever) and mods at 3.7 and this combo has done me well on a budget. By all means; if someone has the buckaroos to hit a VV mod....I say go for it and would not turn one down.

However, 3.7 at 2.0 ohms is very sufficient for those who just want to vape with consistency, while keeping the initial cost down. Valid points on both sides of the issue, but for new people just starting out?........I'd get a 650 Ego, some good LR carts, and some decent juices to try out. The VV has little to do with performance per say. It's more a versatility item and I've yet to see it's advantage for casual vaping, considering cost and value.

Edited by maverick

The OP already has an eGo and is asking about 5V and VV options.

The eGo hasn't been out for 2 years so I'm not sure what you were vaping 2 years ago :lol:

Edited by jeffb

There you go.......and sweeeet.

Jeffb suggest you spend the 200.00 and set the device at 4.7 with standard resistance carto. I've heard this is nirvana and please excuse my ignorance in posting. I forgot the OP already had the now ancient Ego battery and was looking for something better.

Vape on....and good luck.

Ha, wow. I didn't expect to inspire a debate, though you make a really good point, maverick.

I don't suppose I'm looking to turn vaping into a hobby. I have enough hobbies. I just vape for enjoyment. I can't say that I'm not getting what I want out of the eGo, or with 3.7v vaping in general. I tend to do this - get into things and want to take them to the nth degree.

I have a little extra cash lying around and thought "Well, I could upgrade my PV." and so immediately started thinking about how big I could go. I believe I will still get a nice mod, but I think I'll take your advice and temper my ambition a bit.

I really appreciate all the input from everyone who posted in this thread and I'll continue to refer to it as I think about the decision.

Thanks everybody!

Hey SOSO.....debates are a nice way of hearing both view points and those who favor the VV have very valid points for obtaining, or having one already. I happen to have a couple 3.7 18650 mods that would add up to the Provari pricing but never chose to part with this amount of money all at once. Would love to own one if the extra bucks were available.

Was just pointing out for those on the fence......3.7 has been less expensive for me considering the priorities. Actually, the best hitting mod I ever had was a 14500 box mod I built for 13.00. Hit just as good or better than the 100.00 18650. That's whats fun about the whole gig. You can do anything you want and it's been a fun ride in the vaping world. Good luck to you sir, and vape on.

Okay, so after reviewing all the feedback I got in this thread, I decided to do what so many often do in this situation, which is go completely left-of-field and get something we weren't even talking about.

:)

My Boge Revolution 2.1 box mod should be here Thursday or Friday.

I just realized that the dripping and tanks and stuff were more of a PITA than anything, that I'm perfectly happy with 3.7v vaping, and the ability to stick a whole 10ml bottle of my favorite juice in a box and roll with it for days outweighs any kind of hobbyist enjoyment from burning through attys at 5v.

Thanks again for all the recommendations. I really appreciate it.

Good for you, let us know what you think of it. I don't think there is one mod or pv that is right for everybody, just like there is not one juice that will make everybody happy. Thank goodness more new toys keep coming out and we have more choices today than ever. :yes

I'm loving my VV ego from gotvapes very inexpensive stays consistant looks cool and has a meter showing you how much charge your bat has left. The only downside is you can only choose from 3.2-3.7-4.2. So no high voltage 5-7 volts, but hey its a ego!

Edited by Chainvape

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at getting into VV vaping because I want to get the most flavor out of my juice. I know that with a VV PV, you can tweak the flavor simply by changing the voltage. For example, I was just watching a review of VapeRite's VR4 where the reviewer tasted a more caramelly-overtone and tobaccoey-undertone flavor at a lower voltage, and got the exact opposite on the higher voltage.

Maybe that does make it more of a 'hobby' for some, but I see it more as searching for the perfect vape/flavor/throat hit. For me, I like to find the best of everything (within reason and budget, of course). If I'm going to vape, I want it to taste amazing. I want to enjoy every second of it. Unfortunately for me, I'm very, very, very picky. I can taste the slightest 'off' flavor. So, I figure with a VV PV, I can do some tweaking and therefore am more likely to enjoy most juices I purchase.

i paid $150 for my black and chrome buzz pro shipped, 2 sets of batterys and charger, and its quite honestly the best $$$ i have spent in vaping. its amazing. being able to go go from boge 2.0's to dual coils up to peak watts, you dont need a voltage meter, batterys will last you all day, i can get you a coupon code if interested... i too was on the fence between the $200+ provari, glad i saved the money