18650 Battery And/or Charger Problem?

I got a new Ultrafire BRC 18650 3000mAh battery (Red label) and Trustfire TR-001 charger. The first full charge took about 5 hours and 45 minutes. (I read that this is kinda standard for this charger) so I wasn't too worried. The battery lasted 5 full days, so I was happy. I put it on the charger for a second full charge and after 9 hours the red charge LED never changed to green to indicate a full charge. I ended up taking it off the charger and using it. I got about 3 days use out of it and it indicated needing a charge again. My NOEGO blinked to tell me the battery was low. Today I put the battery on the charger for its 3rd full charge and its been on there for almost 8 hours, and again, no indicator to tell me its fully charged. Does anyone know if I might have a wonky battery or charger? This is the first time I've owned 18650 batteries and charger before. I only bought the one battery so I can't pop another one on the charger to see what happens. I'll be buying another 18650 next month though. I'm glad the battery works at least.

Do you have a multi-meter so you can check the voltage when it comes off of the charger? At least you'll know if the battery is over charging. I also read something somewhere that's it's good to let the set for a while 15-30 minutes minimum before charging. This was in reference to the high drain batteries - don't know if it applies to Lion.

Do you have a multi-meter so you can check the voltage when it comes off of the charger? At least you'll know if the battery is over charging. I also read something somewhere that's it's good to let the set for a while 15-30 minutes minimum before charging. This was in reference to the high drain batteries - don't know if it applies to Lion.

Ya, I have a Fluke VOM. I'll check the battery voltage next time it comes off the charger.

An almost fully discharged 18650 will take a LONG time to recharge. Trustfire charger only puts out 250mah per channel, and then as the battery approaches 4.2V, the charger will slow down to a trickle-charge which takes even longer to become fully charged. Charge pattern slows down as the battery gets close to being full so as not to over-charge the battery.

Do you have a second 18650 battery? Best to have a spare battery so you can charge one while you vape with the other. Also try charging in the left channel. For whatever reason, batteries seem to charge a bit faster using the left channel of the charger.

Edited by Emile

I'll be ordering a 2nd 18650 next month. I wanted to get just what I needed to use the NOEGO this month. I'm using my eGo batteries while the 18650 is charging. Next time I charge it, I'll leave it on the charger for a longer time, to see if it does switch to a green LED indicator. Just seems weird that it takes longer to charge the 2nd and 3rd time. It must have been partially charged when I got it. The first charge only took 5-6 hours. Thanks for the info everyone! :)

Charged the battery again. I believe this will be charge number 4. I took it off the charger as soon as the indicator turned green. Within a few minutes or so. It read 4.19 VDC straight off the battery terminals and 4.19 VDC off of the NOEGO contacts also. (No load) This time it took 8 hours and 20 minutes to fully charge. . But it did change to a green LED indicator this time at least. The NOEGO works great, so I'm happy with everything. Lasts a lot longer on a charge then my eGo batteries. :) I guess the charging time varies from charge to charge. The battery and charger aren't getting hot, so it must be working correctly. :)

• 5 months later...

I am having a similar problem. I just got 2 18650s in and threw them on my charger but instead of getting a solid red light it blinks back and forth from red to green. I have no idea if the batteries are actually charging or not on there.

:edit: I whacked the charger on the side with my fists and it's working fine now. I checked it with my volt meter as well and it is charging the batteries.

Edited by bobthesalesclerk

I am having a similar problem. I just got 2 18650s in and threw them on my charger but instead of getting a solid red light it blinks back and forth from red to green. I have no idea if the batteries are actually charging or not on there.

:edit: I whacked the charger on the side with my fists and it's working fine now. I checked it with my volt meter as well and it is charging the batteries.

Ahhh, good old percussive maintenance... lol

• 5 weeks later...