Fda To Regulate E-Cigs As Tobacco Products

Christopher

Costs for ecigs and liquids are gonna go up no question, the industry is going to be taxed by states, honestly they would be stupid if they did not tax them.

It may cost us more to vape than it has been but what are we saving in doctors and hospital bills, prescription meds, and the like, not to mention cleaning costs and painting costs that you do way more often in an analog environment. I think we should take this as a win and then move on to the next.

For me I am breathing a little easier that at least its a POSITIVE step and not more negative from the FDA. It also means they have done tests and could not find anything too dangerous or they would have still been on it like white on rice.

Life is short, celebrate every victory! :thumbsup:

Costs for ecigs and liquids are gonna go up no question, the industry is going to be taxed by states, honestly they would be stupid if they did not tax them.

It may cost us more to vape than it has been but what are we saving in doctors and hospital bills, prescription meds, and the like, not to mention cleaning costs and painting costs that you do way more often in an analog environment. I think we should take this as a win and then move on to the next.

For me I am breathing a little easier that at least its a POSITIVE step and not more negative from the FDA. It also means they have done tests and could not find anything too dangerous or they would have still been on it like white on rice.

Here is my concern and speculation:

As we all know, the lungs seems to absorb nicotine differently in vapor than it does in smoke. A heavy cigarette advertises around 3mg nicotine concentration. To get your equalivalent nicotine fix with an ecig (me personally) I need around 20 to 25mg. I'm assuming its this loophole that allows unscrupulous ecig suppliers to say "Oooohh our 510 cartrdige is equivalent to a whole PACK of cigarettes!"

....which we all know is a load of sh**.

Yeah, maybe the nicotine content is the same, but the volume of smoke and nicotine ingestion is NOWHERE near a pack of smokes on a standard cart or even a fully loaded carto.

I can just see the FDA (using newfound regulation abilities) requiring eliquid and/or pre-filled carts be a maximum of 3mg nicotine. This could deem the product worthless for those of us that need a good nic fix. Sure there may be underground ways to mix your own stuff and increase dosage (if that's still legal under their new regulations,) but DIY eliquid is far too complicated for the avergae person trying an ecig for the very first time.

I will try to stay positive about this, but something tells me this is the quiet before the storm and the FDA is relinquishing its court fight because its found a far better way to intervene.

<<Fingers crossed I'm wrong>>

Regardless, we've all got to stick together and make a loud ruckus. There is power in numbers.

Great forum btw.

This has nothing to do with tests or health, QT. If they honestly cared about our health, aspartame wouldn't be allowed, cigarettes would have been outlawed a LONG time ago, pot would be legal, alcohol would be looked down on as much worse than pot(which it completely is. Oh, and cigarettes are worse for you than pot too. no 4K chemicals, just one that occurs naturally called THC), we wouldn't have Chantix, and they wouldn't be prescribing RAT POISON for people with low blood pressure. The FDA doesn't give a rat's *** about anybody's health. They only exist to protect corporations and control what's supposed to be a free market. The FDA is supposed to exist to protect us from harmful things in our food and medicine, but that's not at all what they do.

I have a friend who was told that he had high blood pressure, and it absolutely COULD NOT be cured with diet, exercise, or vitamins/minerals, or any kind of food change. He was told he absolutely would need drugs to fix it. Within a year his blood pressure is perfectly fine thanks to garlic, diet, and exercise. It is a FACT that garlic will lower blood pressure, but if you try to put that message out there, the FDA will be up your *** so fast you won't know what happened. That is a terrible thing, and it's simply not right. We all know here that it's a fact that e-cigs will help you quit smoking. However, the FDA doesn't want anyone saying so... Well why the hell not? If they're so interested in health, you'd think they'd want facts about health to be widespread and well known. The simple answer is they don't care about health. This isn't about them unsure about something and wanting to make sure it's safe at all. They're paid off by big pharma. If you don't believe that, then you're incredibly naive, and I have some snake oil I'd like to sell you, along with beach front property in Siberia.

If the FDA were really out for our best interest, they'd want good health information like that to be spread around so we can all stay healthy. However, if we're healthy, we don't need drugs, and if we were smart, we wouldn't eat processed food. They don't want any of that. They are out to protect food and drug corporations, plain and simple. If they gave a crap about us, there never would have been any reason to go against e-cigs in the first place.

Oh by the way, the wonderful FDA apparently wants to regulate vitamins now too, and just the other day I saw something on the news that basically said vitamins are bad and that you need to consult your doctor before taking any because they might interfere with medication... What a crock. Not everybody takes medication on a regular basis, and there's no reason why anyone should. It's not normal, and it means you're not healthy. Health is achieved by eating right, not popping pills. Pills certainly have their place, but I think they should only be a last resort unless you absolutely can not live without them. I avoid them as much as possible because they cause other health problems, and there's almost always an alternative.

Edited by DerStadtschutz

This has nothing to do with tests or health, QT. If they honestly cared about our health, aspartame wouldn't be allowed, cigarettes would have been outlawed a LONG time ago, pot would be legal, alcohol would be looked down on as much worse than pot(which it completely is. Oh, and cigarettes are worse for you than pot too. no 4K chemicals, just one that occurs naturally called THC), we wouldn't have Chantix, and they wouldn't be prescribing RAT POISON for people with low blood pressure. The FDA doesn't give a rat's *** about anybody's health. They only exist to protect corporations and control what's supposed to be a free market. The FDA is supposed to exist to protect us from harmful things in our food and medicine, but that's not at all what they do.

I have a friend who was told that he had high blood pressure, and it absolutely COULD NOT be cured with diet, exercise, or vitamins/minerals, or any kind of food change. He was told he absolutely would need drugs to fix it. Within a year his blood pressure is perfectly fine thanks to garlic, diet, and exercise. It is a FACT that garlic will lower blood pressure, but if you try to put that message out there, the FDA will be up your *** so fast you won't know what happened. That is a terrible thing, and it's simply not right. We all know here that it's a fact that e-cigs will help you quit smoking. However, the FDA doesn't want anyone saying so... Well why the hell not? If they're so interested in health, you'd think they'd want facts about health to be widespread and well known. The simple answer is they don't care about health. This isn't about them unsure about something and wanting to make sure it's safe at all. They're paid off by big pharma. If you don't believe that, then you're incredibly naive, and I have some snake oil I'd like to sell you, along with beach front property in Siberia.

If the FDA were really out for our best interest, they'd want good health information like that to be spread around so we can all stay healthy. However, if we're healthy, we don't need drugs, and if we were smart, we wouldn't eat processed food. They don't want any of that. They are out to protect food and drug corporations, plain and simple. If they gave a crap about us, there never would have been any reason to go against e-cigs in the first place.

Oh by the way, the wonderful FDA apparently wants to regulate vitamins now too, and just the other day I saw something on the news that basically said vitamins are bad and that you need to consult your doctor before taking any because they might interfere with medication... What a crock. Not everybody takes medication on a regular basis, and there's no reason why anyone should. It's not normal, and it means you're not healthy. Health is achieved by eating right, not popping pills. Pills certainly have their place, but I think they should only be a last resort unless you absolutely can not live without them. I avoid them as much as possible because they cause other health problems, and there's almost always an alternative.

You absolutely hit it on the head. There's a ton of disinformation out there cooked up by lobbyists and dispensed via the FDA. And your comments regarding aspartame are spot on. If anyone wants their mind blown. Google the history of aspartame. Its in nearly every diet soda and a TON of more products most of us consume without even knowing. It was deemed a poison (BY THE FDA) until the lobbyist got to Donald Rumsfeld and Reagan. It was subsequently approved. http://www.rense.com/general33/legal.htm

The FDA is for sale.

Too bad ecigs don't have the lobbying power of tobacco.

You absolutely hit it on the head. There's a ton of disinformation out there cooked up by lobbyists and dispensed via the FDA. And your comments regarding aspartame are spot on. If anyone wants their mind blown. Google the history of aspartame. Its in nearly every diet soda and a TON of more products most of us consume without even knowing. It was deemed a poison (BY THE FDA) until the lobbyist got to Donald Rumsfeld and Reagan. It was subsequently approved. http://www.rense.com/general33/legal.htm

The FDA is for sale.

Too bad ecigs don't have the lobbying power of tobacco.

Oh, I'm very familiar with Mr. Reagan's crap, and it's one of the reasons I hate him and don't understand why so many people considered him great. I've heard that the head of the FDA at the time actually refused to approve it, so Reagan had him fired and replaced with someone who would approve it. I don't know how much of that is true, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

This whole thing stinks, and I can't understand for the life of me why ANYONE would want regulation. I mean yeah, I get it to a point. Standards of cleanliness are good, as are ingredient lists, and making sure we're getting what we're paying for, but to think for one second that the FDA will do anything at all to protect us is just plain absurd. And I have yet to be ripped off by any vendor. Prices are reasonable, and I'm pretty much always satisfied. The FDA will not do this industry any good whatsoever, only make everything more expensive, or possibly even ensure that the juice IS bad. They allow fluoride, an industrial poisonous waste, into our water. They allow monosodium glutamate and aspartame, and only god knows what else into our food. Do you realize there is actually an acceptable level of RAT FECES in food? Yes, that's right. Things were certainly much worse before there was any regulation, but now we've come full circle, and the agencies that were originally put in place to protect us no longer do that. Instead, they protect whoever can shove the largest wad of cash in their pockets, and every single facet of this government works the same way. It's not about ignorance or being un, or even mis-informed. It's all about money.

It's certainly better that these are going to be regulated as tobacco products and not drug devices because it means they'll still be around and available without a prescription, but it doesn't change the fact that regulation, especially by the FDA, sucks and will not be helpful one bit.

Edited by DerStadtschutz

Oh, I'm very familiar with Mr. Reagan's crap, and it's one of the reasons I hate him and don't understand why so many people considered him great. I've heard that the head of the FDA at the time actually refused to approve it, so Reagan had him fired and replaced with someone who would approve it. I don't know how much of that is true, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

This whole thing stinks, and I can't understand for the life of me why ANYONE would want regulation. I mean yeah, I get it to a point. Standards of cleanliness are good, as are ingredient lists, and making sure we're getting what we're paying for, but to think for one second that the FDA will do anything at all to protect us is just plain absurd. And I have yet to be ripped off by any vendor. Prices are reasonable, and I'm pretty much always satisfied. The FDA will not do this industry any good whatsoever, only make everything more expensive, or possibly even ensure that the juice IS bad. They allow fluoride, an industrial poisonous waste, into our water. They allow monosodium glutamate and aspartame, and only god knows what else into our food. Do you realize there is actually an acceptable level of RAT FECES in food? Yes, that's right. Things were certainly much worse before there was any regulation, but now we've come full circle, and the agencies that were originally put in place to protect us no longer do that. Instead, they protect whoever can shove the largest wad of cash in their pockets, and every single facet of this government works the same way. It's not about ignorance or being un, or even mis-informed. It's all about money.

It's certainly better that these are going to be regulated as tobacco products and not drug devices because it means they'll still be around and available without a prescription, but it doesn't change the fact that regulation, especially by the FDA, sucks and will not be helpful one bit.

We putt my friend. I just hope that they don't use these new "regulations" to make it damn nearly impossible for some of the small guys to operate

they need the little guys who else is going to sell the new fda aproved e cig hehe .after all. its all the little guys money they will filling there pockets with :no

• 2 weeks later...

I may never eat again!!!

• 3 weeks later...

So, if they intend to regulate them like tobacco, that could possibly be the end of internet/mail-order sales?

I don't see how they can regulate them like tobacco if they contain no tobacco. :wallbash:

Cherie

Tobacco has a "sin" tax attached. The FDA knows that you know tobacco is bad, and so charges you lots of tax to counterbalance the cost of treating you after you've contracted a disease due to tobacco use.

If the FDA says e-cigs are safe, then there should be nothing other than a potential sales tax.

My response from the NY assembly:

June 6, 2011

Dear Constituent,

This is in response to your letter regarding Assembly Bill A1468. This bill seeks to ban the sale and distribution of items containing or delivering nicotine that are not currently classified as tobacco products or approved as tobacco use cessation or harm reduction products by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and also to prevent minors from purchasing these products. Thank you for taking the time to write and advise me of your views and concerns.

I do not support this bill in its current form. I voted against it in Health Committee and unless amendments are made to it, I will be voting against it should it come to the floor of the Assembly for a full vote.

If either my staff or I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at 845-463-1635 or via email at millerj@assembly.state.ny.us.

Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

Joel M. Miller

Member of Assembly

102nd Assembly District

JMM/klp