Throat Hit

Debbee

Hello fellow vapers! I am struggling to get off tobacco cigs because every time I vape any flavor e-liquid it burns my throat and I gag. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? Also, I used to (well still do at the moment) smoke Newport 100's, a strong menthol cig. I started with 18mg of nicotine in my liquid, is this a good level for me? I am finding myself not completely satisfyed and still craving the Newports.

Thank you!

Hi Debbee. :) I guess the first thing is to make sure you're not vaping a dry atty. Have you tried direct dripping? Often when you're not getting enough eliquid to the atty you'll get a bit of a burning metallic taste and it will burn/irritate your throat. If you're certain that's not the issue, some people are sensitive to PG. You may want to try some VG as it is smoother and less irritating. My wife cannot vape PG, and even with 100% VG juices there have only been a few so far that she's able to vape.

Hi Debbee. :) I guess the first thing is to make sure you're not vaping a dry atty. Have you tried direct dripping? Often when you're not getting enough eliquid to the atty you'll get a bit of a burning metallic taste and it will burn/irritate your throat. If you're certain that's not the issue, some people are sensitive to PG. You may want to try some VG as it is smoother and less irritating. My wife cannot vape PG, and even with 100% VG juices there have only been a few so far that she's able to vape.

Is this a sign your wife is allergic to ejuice?

Hi Debbee, sorry your having a difficult time. Don't give up just yet, I know you can beat cigs!

Where are you getting your juice? Juices are not created equally, try a new vendor? Maybe it will help. Also like stated above about switching to VG. Is very good advice. Dry attys can give you heck too. Perhaps trying a Carto or tank system may help you there.

18 mg is a good start, I need 24mg myself. I know the first week without real cigs can be difficult. The tobacco companies spent millions apon millions to keep you hooked. So don't feel bad if you slip up or do both for a while. Even cutting down at first is better than nothing. Please stick around, I'm sure we can help you get on track! Good luck and happy your here with us.

I know that dayvape just said cartos and for me regular cartos are fine but the ceramic cartos do something to my throat and mouth. At first I thought I was allergic to the juice, did it have too much pg (can't tolerate too much pg) and then after talking to some folks about the ceramic cartos that's when it hit me that the cartos were to blame. After not using anymore of those cartos, my mouth cleared up and everything has been okay since then. Hopefully your problem will be as simple as that.

Thank you everyone!! Another question if you don't mind? I am worried about nicotine overdoes and don't understand how much nicotine I am getting if I am using 18mg and vaping all day, for instance. There doesn't seem to be any clear-cut information on nictotine levels via vaping as opposed to traditional analog smoking.

Currently, I am still on the analogs because I am "afraid" to vape constantly instead.

Much appreciated once again!!! :)

Thank you everyone!! Another question if you don't mind? I am worried about nicotine overdoes and don't understand how much nicotine I am getting if I am using 18mg and vaping all day, for instance. There doesn't seem to be any clear-cut information on nictotine levels via vaping as opposed to traditional analog smoking.

Currently, I am still on the analogs because I am "afraid" to vape constantly instead.

Much appreciated once again!!! :)

The best advice I can give is pay attention to your body. It will let you know when you've had enough. Light headiness or nauseousness are good indicators of too much nic. I understand your apprehension. :)

When I first started vaping I think that I did it non-stop. Cartos on my generic e-cig. I got the feeling of "I've smoked too much". I vape 24mg and vape a good bit during the day and a lot at night, when I'm just sitting and watching tv or on my computer. Other than the initial time I have not had any trouble with feeling like I have had too much nicotine. Someone started a thread on this forum about the nicotine content, how much in an e-cig vs. analog. But I don't remember who or when. Sorry. If someone on the forum can't answer your question I would do a google search on nicotine content of e-cigs vs. analogs. I'm sure there is one posted somewhere.

I will say that when I started vaping I did get a sore throat that lasted about a week or two, it faded over time so I knew it was an adjustment period.

According to various sites signs of Nicotine overdose are:

Nausea

Vomiting

Diarrhea

Stomach pains

Cold sweats

Headache

Dizziness

Hearing or vision problems

Confusion

Chest pain

Uneven or racing heartbeat

Seizures

Just remember, even if you switch back to analogs you are still taking in nicotine!

I also was a menthol smoker and I THOUGHT I would want a menthol juice, as it turns out I rarely pull out my menthol and mostly use vanillas, and some mints (more chocolate mint than Menthol) so be open to some new flavors. I mostly use menthols now as an additive to juices I don't love to spice them up a bit, add a bit more flavor, so I might use 2 drops of the less than lovely juice and one drop on menthol.

Analogs contain approximately 9 mg of nicotine , although we only absorb about 1-2 mg of nic per cig: http://www.ehow.com/about_5370963_much-nicotine-one-cigarette.html

So if you smoke a pack a day you are getting 20-40mg of nic a day. If you are vaping 2 ml of 18mg/ml of e-juice a day, you are getting about the same amount of nic.

Thank you everyone. I think I have had a "bit" too much nic while trying to vape, have gotten sick a couple of times but you all have given me the best information available so far.

Truly appreciated -

Debbee

Hey Debbee, When I first started vaping, I also felt like I vaped way too much, and the TH was killer to me. I think the absorption of nicotine from the juice is a little bit different from smoking, so when i first started i lowered the nic to 12mg the first couple of weeks, and i cheated with analogs .... then the analogs started tasting funny, and i noticed that started to make me feel like I was having a nic overdose ... so i stopped smoking them ... then started to feel like i needed more nic, so i raised it to 18mg ... that's pretty much my level right, stressful days i have a bottle of 24 I'll vape on.

2 ways to control the throat hit (TH) from juice is to mix in VG or lower the nic level.

VG is great for huge vapor clouds, but at 100% VG you lose some flavor, also VG doesn't mix well with carto use ... It can be done, it's just not perfect though.

Drink tons of water, vaping dries out the mucous membranes.

Edited by asleep

Hey "Asleep", thank you very much - I am VERY new at this. Anyway, someone posted on my question about nicotine levels and what I "think" I figured out is that 1 mL of juice is equal to the nicotine level you ordered in your size bottle. I measured 1 mL by "dropping" into a baby-medicine dispenser (for lack of a better description, it was a suction device, almost looks like a shot - sorry, don't know what it's called) and about 20 drops equals 1 mL. The person that posted on my question earlier informed me that you get about 1 mg of nicotine in an analog, so if you smoke a pack a day you are getting about 20 mg of nicotine - sooo, if someone was a "pack-a-day" smoker and has an 18 mg solution, 20 drops of that through the day would equal the same amount of nicotine. I want to post this as "general forum for noobies" but hesitate due to the fact that none of this is very researched and I am formulating this off of info from this site-let me know what you think of this information.

Also, the other thing I discovered is that I was "vaping" wrong. I don't smoke "weed" but know how it's done, I was trying to "vape" the same way. I started vaping in the same manner I smoke and there's no more throat burn - let me know what you think of this too!

I really appreciate everyone's help on this site. You were the last person that posted on my question, so LUCKY YOU, you get all of this "so-called" information! :)

I used to smoke one and a half to two packs of camel light 99's a day and now vape between 5-7ml of 18-24mg nic joose a day. I get no "nic sic" feelings at all. Just listen to your body. You will know when you've had enuff nic way before it would get dangerous to your health IMO. I think the first symptoms would be nausea and headaches. I am not a doctor though. This is just my opinion and should not be taken as medical advice.

Hey "Asleep", thank you very much - I am VERY new at this. Anyway, someone posted on my question about nicotine levels and what I "think" I figured out is that 1 mL of juice is equal to the nicotine level you ordered in your size bottle. I measured 1 mL by "dropping" into a baby-medicine dispenser (for lack of a better description, it was a suction device, almost looks like a shot - sorry, don't know what it's called) and about 20 drops equals 1 mL. The person that posted on my question earlier informed me that you get about 1 mg of nicotine in an analog, so if you smoke a pack a day you are getting about 20 mg of nicotine - sooo, if someone was a "pack-a-day" smoker and has an 18 mg solution, 20 drops of that through the day would equal the same amount of nicotine. I want to post this as "general forum for noobies" but hesitate due to the fact that none of this is very researched and I am formulating this off of info from this site-let me know what you think of this information.

Also, the other thing I discovered is that I was "vaping" wrong. I don't smoke "weed" but know how it's done, I was trying to "vape" the same way. I started vaping in the same manner I smoke and there's no more throat burn - let me know what you think of this too!

I really appreciate everyone's help on this site. You were the last person that posted on my question, so LUCKY YOU, you get all of this "so-called" information! :)

:) Your math is correct Debbee, 18mg juice is 18mg per 1 ml, as far as the absorption of nicotine from analogs vs. juice, I'm not sure ... I've heard of research on this, but haven't seen it. There is so many other chemicals in analogs that play a role in the pleasure from smoking, the absorption, and withdraws you'll experience.

As far as taking the draw of a vape, it does take some adjusting too, it isn't like taking a draw off an analog. I always tell my friends who what to try out my pv to hit it like a cigar, puff a little before taking the vape in.

I Beleive the absorption rate with vaping is about 40% via studies i have read. So 1ml of 18 mg is the equivalent of 4.5 analogs. Some have done blood tests and shown much lower amounts of nic in the bloodstream with vaping. I know my first sign is a headache if i vape too much.

Hi Debbee and welcome to VT :)

Vaping is different than smoking analogs. I find that taking a nice slow draw into your mouth, then inhaling it into your lungs works best, although its a matter of preference. I've heard a lot of anecdotal evidence of nicotine absorbtion rates, but most folks average about 3-5 ml per day.

The discomfort you've felt (sick feeling) might be due to the way you were vaping at first, nothing wrong with slowing down a bit, its very common to "over-vape" when you first start. And do drink lots of fluids, PG and VG both will dry out your mouth and throat.

A few folks drop the analogs (regular cigarettes) immediately when they start vaping, but my guess is that most sort of "ease into it", vaping and smoking both at first. I think you'll find that as you smoke less, you'll like vaping more and more, and once your taste and smell return, the myriad of flavors available can be a real adventure.