The Future Of Vaping?

So I'm sitting here thinking...thinking OF COURSE I get into vaping just when it has gotten popular enough that the FDA is causing all kinds of headaches.

Wondering if there will come a day when it is next to impossible to buy e-cigarettes?

Wondering if what I really should do is learn how to make small bottom fed box mods for myself and to give to people who want to try this way to quit smoking, cuz as a former smoker AND a health care professional, I'm not an idiot. I know it works, and I know it's a lot less harmful than smoking.

Wondering if I should try to hone my DIY skills, and make up as much of at least base juice as I can?

Wondering HOW in the heck shipments can be "seized" when, to date, none of this sstuff is ILLEGAL? For crying out loud, it's not drugs!! (Which, by the way, apparently comes into the country with less trouble.)

Does anyone else have these doomsday fears? Do you ever think about contingency plans?

I'm so ticked off I could SPIT right now!!!

my fear is they will go after the e liquid, since they cannot monitor the devices, they can however try and go after the liquids, especially those made here in the USA... that is my fear for the future of vapeing, even if you DIY you wont be able to get the nic if they can control it

I've been thinking about the possiblities of not being able to purchase any of the equipment for vaping. I think that my husband can make a mod. I have a few that he can look at and follow and the you-tube videos, I think that one of these days I will try to do all the diy that I have stocked up and I have a good many atomizers stock-piled away but I'm with you on the nic. What type of shelf life does nicotine have? If it's good, I think I'm going to buy a good supply and stock pile that away. Anyway, I hope that the powers that be learn that this is a great alternative to smoking. Well, I think they already know and the big guys are afraid that all that tobacco money will dry up when people find out there are other ways to quit besides patches, gum, etc. etc.

I'm hoping that this is just me thinking the glass is half empty like I do about most things and we will continued to be able to go about just worrying about what juice I'm going to order or what new mod do I want to try. But in the meantime, I'm getting out some receipes and learning to "cook".

I heard 18 months - 2 years for shelf life. Not positive but someone on another forum was freezing some and testing it over an extented period of time i think.not sure of the result yet.

This really is a great question, sadly with no answer in sight. With increased usage, and attention will come increased focus by regulators.

If I had to speculate, which is all one can really do, I would predict the availability and supply of eLiquid will not disappear. It will become regulated in some form or fashion and will likely be taxed as a sin tax since federal and state governments are just as addicted to the tax revenues they receive from smokers as we are to the nicotine.

Flavors will dry up as well - but that can easily be self remedied as long as they allow the sale of unflovored juice.

Just my thoughts - who knows I could be way off base, but thats where I see this going in about 2 to 4 years.

Well here's the thing. While I can definitely see it becoming illegal, simply because it's good for you, isn't taxed, and does a much better job than the competition, I don't really think it will ever be "next to impossible" to acquire vaping supplies. There are plenty of drugs out there that are illegal, yet people acquire them all the time.

Nana, I've been considering making mods myself. I don't want to imagine a world without vaping, how terrible. I don't know where I saw it but someone somewhere wrote about making juice out of the snus. I'll see what I can find. We have to protect our rights!

Yeah, there is a crazy long thread on ecf about extracting nicotine from various sources but most of it was over my head and honestly sounded pretty unsafe. I was never good ar chemistry. I am just hoping to cut down to 0 nic at some point and then i won't have to worry about it.

Liquid has a shelf life of about 2 years @ 70 degrees out of sunlight. The liquid itself will last longer but the nicotine looses it's potency. I do not suggest freezing your liquid or even placing it in a refrigerator honestly. Nicotine is fairly volatile.

Take for example Nicorette, they specifically state NOT to place their patches, gum etc in the fridge. This isn't because the gum will go bad but rather the nicotine will loose it's potency. I feel bad for all the ECF'ers that place their e liquid in the fridge.

As for the direction if ecigs it really depends. It's more about eduction. Many states are jumping on the BAN wagon because they don't understand the product they're trying to suppress. When electronic cigarettes become approved (and one day they will I believe) it will most likely be sold by large corporations. Liquid will exist but not in bottled form. It's just to dangerous. (For the kids of course) Instead your nicotine will most likely be sold in cartomizers or something similar. Sealed and unable to be refilled. This of course will make it much easier to tax and regulate.

What it's interesting to watch is whether or not this will become marketed as an alternative or an NRT (stop smoking product) This fork in the road will take the industry in two completely different regulatory directions.

Many members will state "well I'll just DIY" This in itself is a very ignorant statement. Granted they might not be able to come after you personally (to much time and resources) but the federal government can easily start slapping fines on any company that sells nicotine to persons without a license. That would put an end to DIY real quick. And you can bet your backside if it steps in the way of the FDA or your state taxes, they will go after those companies.

There is of course the worst case scenario, all out ban. Part of the reason many people can order this that and other is because of online forums. Without funding from suppliers they will relay on donations. I can tell you that some of these forums ECF and us included suck up quite a bit of bandwidth. Forums would most likely relay on donations to keep running. If those donations stopped the information is gone.

Lots of speculation no doubt but it's going to be an interesting ride. Regardless, we'll always be working behind the scenes to ensure that in some way shape or form, our members will have access to supplies. After all, geeks like us (well at least me anyway) invented the word underground... ;)

I've said for a long time that I would "go underground" if that's what I had to do to keep vaping. In the mean time, I'm stocking up on as many attys as I can. I've got the box mods and only need to replace the batteries - which I can get at a lot of different places - but the attys are something I would need. I am going to see about rebuilding attys, too. I'm not so sure I could do it, but I'd sure give it a try. I vape 0 nic a lot and I'm mostly just putting nic in my juice to use it up. I could go completely 0 nic if I had to. I'd like to have an "underground" connection to get nic if I could though. There is no way I would be forced to use pre-filled cartridges or cartos. No way.