A "smoker" Or A "nonsmoker"

I could never afford life insurance as a smoker but I was thinking about looking into a policy for my husband and I (as a nonsmoker...right?) This became a discussion at work and several coworker said that they dont consider me a "non smoker" as I'm still smoking just smoking something different than cigarettes. Bursted my bubble!! I had thought of myself as a nonsmoker but this comment got me thinking....Am I a non smoker???

Regardless, I would never go back to analogs..price, smell..ect I really enjoy these much more.

when asked if you're a nonsmoker on an application or by a doctor what do you say?

You will most likely get lot's of opinions on this statement.

My Insurance agent renewed my homeowner's insurance this last Sept and I told her i no longer smoke cigarettes. She asked "Do you smoke anything?" I said, "nope" and I left it at that, my ecig is not going to set the house ablaze so end of story. BTW not only is my home now insured with a higher value but my rates dropped about $200 a year.

I am a nicotine addict -- NOT a smoker.

I consider myself a nonsmoker and when I am asked if I smoke, I say no. Some life insurance policies will require a physical or blood draw. If this is required it is possible it could detect the nicotine in your system and they might classify you as a smoker. If you do a search on the forum there has been lengthy discussion about this subject.

You will most likely get lot's of opinions on this statement.

My Insurance agent renewed my homeowner's insurance this last Sept and I told her i no longer smoke cigarettes. She asked "Do you smoke anything?" I said, "nope" and I left it at that, my ecig is not going to set the house ablaze so end of story. BTW not only is my home now insured with a higher value but my rates dropped about $200 a year.

I am a nicotine addict -- NOT a smoker.

Funny how they are concerned about you smoking anything, but don't bother to ask if you burn candles frequently. Nice to see you again. How is that doggie of yours?

Edited by BirdDog

Non-smoker. Nothing burning here. Some people just don't have the knowledge to form an educated opinion- but it doesn't mean they don't have an opinion anyways. Are you "smoking" when you exhale outside on a cold day because it "looks" like smoke?

Vapor is not smoke. Case closed.

I consider myself a nonsmoker and when I am asked if I smoke, I say no. Some life insurance policies will require a physical or blood draw. If this is required it is possible it could detect the nicotine in your system and they might classify you as a smoker. If you do a search on the forum there has been lengthy discussion about this subject.

with my life insurance, they just checked with my doctor with any pre-existing problems.

Funny how they are concerned about you smoking anything, but don't bother to ask if you burn candles on a frequently. Nice to see you again. How is that doggie of yours?

My little doggie is doing grrrrrrreat!!. I have been just too dang busy to check in all the time.

re: my agent, she is a pain. Who knows what she was thinking about the smoking question. As she was leaving the house she made note of a tiny mark on the side of my car and actually took a picture when it shouldn't matter cuz I only have liability (no collision) on that clunker. She is a knuckle-head, Heck i didn't ask her if she has still smokes weed :police: !!

LOL good for you Vacker1229.

Vaporqueen, You are a NON smoker despite what your coworkers may say! Your doing really great! Just look at your counter! :animier: Now listen to your body. Can you take a deep breath without hacking up a lung???? Do you cough every morning??? Do you stink??? Hmmmm..... Well see proof enough! You are a NON smoker.

I have had this problem myself with Hubby. He still looks down his nose at vaping.

Haha let him say something now and NO love for him :innocent:

Maybe you can with withold donuts from your co workers :rolleyes:

It is an interesting question - most policies ask in terms of the last 12 months and often use language to the effect of have you had any tobacco related products in the past 12 months, this ensures they cover chewing tobacco and other smokeless tobacco products.

Its a bit of a tough call since nicotine is a tobacco extract, but its not tobacco..

Non-smoker. Nothing burning here. Some people just don't have the knowledge to form an educated opinion- but it doesn't mean they don't have an opinion anyways. Are you "smoking" when you exhale outside on a cold day because it "looks" like smoke?

Vapor is not smoke. Case closed.

HA....love that analogy. I agree, non smoker. For insurance purposes the vaping is really irrelevant and you are NOT lying saying you aren't smoking...you are NOT smoking. I would be interested if those same co workers would think a person using a nic patch is smoking? Or nic gum, are they smoking? Obviously no one would think they were smoking, it is ridiculous....so what makes the fact that you are getting the nic via another route smoking? You are no more smoking than a pot of boiling water is smoking. In order to be smoking, there has to be something burning to create the smoke....there isn't, so you aren't. In fact, my doctors who are WELL AWARE that I vape regard me as a non smoker...If someone asked if we were consuming nicotine, that would be a totally different question.

It is an interesting question - most policies ask in terms of the last 12 months and often use language to the effect of have you had any tobacco related products in the past 12 months, this ensures they cover chewing tobacco and other smokeless tobacco products.

Its a bit of a tough call since nicotine is a tobacco extract, but its not tobacco..

my response would still be no. There are cancer risks with those other tobacco products because of the chemicals put into the tobacco....that is why they ask specifically about tobacco. If they don't care if you are using nic gum, patches and lozenges, this would be the same as those in terms of tobacco. No one using gum would think they are using a tobacco product, so why should we? If they wanted to know if we were using anything containing nicotine they could easily enough ask that question.

LOL good for you Vacker1229.

Vaporqueen, You are a NON smoker despite what your coworkers may say! Your doing really great! Just look at your counter! :animier: Now listen to your body. Can you take a deep breath without hacking up a lung???? Do you cough every morning??? Do you stink??? Hmmmm..... Well see proof enough! You are a NON smoker.

Then only the stink made me a smoker. Even with smoking for 3 decades and lighting a cig with the one before it, I didn't have a morning cough....I could breathe perfectly fine....took huge deep breaths with no problems. In fact, I rarely had colds, other than the viral stuff that everyone seems to get now and then. I have always run a super low blood pressure, to the point I have problems with orthostatic hypotension (get all light headed and dizzy when changing positions...like from laying to sitting to standing, etc). Hopefully nothing will come bite me in the rear down the road, but I never had any smoking related health issues. God knows I have enough other health issues, LOL.

Juliery, Your very fortunate that you have good lungs. I'm afraid I completely wrecked mine. I pray they will heal.

My lungs have informed me that I'm no longer a smoker. Hmm yours didn't send you the same memo LOL.

Beans, I've heard that within three months of not smoking your lungs heal up to 90%. You're a third of the way there. If people ask me if I smoke I say, "No, I Create Vapor" :) It's completely different, don't let your co-workers give you a hard time. It seems people that don't vape have a difficult time understanding.

The same goes with people that are addicted to any substance, it's a lot easier for others to say, "why can't you stop taking that drug" than it actually is to stop because they don't understand addiction or substance abuse. Same rule applies here with ignorant people. You're blowing out 'smoke', so you're smoking. Except it's not smoke.

If the question is "Do you smoke?" (referring to cigarettes) , the answer is "No". Now if the question is "Do you consume nicotine?", the answer is "Yes" (only if you are vaping anything above zero juice). Plain and simple!

I was told by my doctor that it takes one month, for every year that you smoked, for your lungs to get back to pre-cigarette condition.

I also read that vaping does help to clean out your lungs. Something about the moisture produced from vaping. That is a little confusing for me because I find that my mouth dries out very quickly from vaping. But, then again, it did from smoking cigarettes too!

I know nothing, nothing, nothing. I quote from a TV show that I loved, Hogan's Heroes. I'm going way back! :thumbsup:

here's a good question to this argument, is someone who has never smoked a day in their lives but has used chew and snuff a smoker? the answer is no, they are a tobacco user.

so by that definition vapers are no longer smokers, its no different than using any other form of nicotine replacement other than the fact that it mimics the act of smoking and satiates the hand to mouth need

If the question is "Do you smoke?" (referring to cigarettes) , the answer is "No". Now if the question is "Do you consume nicotine?", the answer is "Yes" (only if you are vaping anything above zero juice). Plain and simple!

I was told by my doctor that it takes one month, for every year that you smoked, for your lungs to get back to pre-cigarette condition. Wow, I'll be good as new in another 45 months... I can't imagine how nice that will feel! I'm already lovin the new me just this first year of vaping. I even have rosey cheeks for the first time ever in my life!!

I also read that vaping does help to clean out your lungs. Something about the moisture produced from vaping. That is a little confusing for me because I find that my mouth dries out very quickly from vaping. But, then again, it did from smoking cigarettes too! There is also an interesting theory also about Cinnamon flavors being too strong for the lungs because Cinnamon is a natural "cleanser". Some vapers experience uncomfortable irritation when vaping it... they probably still have pink lungs, not very coated from tar and nicotine. My lungs, on the other hand, don't feel a thing.... but I breathe better.... so, therefore, I use it as my "natural cleanser" that washes the tar and nic away a little at a time. I wish the surgeons/doctors would look into this deeper ... it just might be *the* wonder lung cleaner we've all been dying for.

I know nothing, nothing, nothing. I quote from a TV show that I loved, Hogan's Heroes. I'm going way back! :thumbsup: ha! I loved that show!!

UMA....

actually i can shed some light on the cinnamon, i used to make my own perfumes using essential oils and everclear, sometimes dried herbs seeped in everclear... anyhow, i was asked to create one with a hint of cinnamon, i even tested it out on myself as i am my own favorite guinea pig, it was nice, subtle and slightly sweet, the cinnamon was well diluted with a carrier oil, however, when my friend tried it it turned her instantly red, thats when i remembered that my daughter gets red from her nose to her chin anytime she eats anything with cinnamon in it. Some people are very sensitive to cinnamon, just as some people cannot use tea tree oil straight... such people should avoid the spice completely, and i can only imagine what vaping it would do to someone with that sensitivity