First Low Res Atty Tastes Kinda... Gross!

humblesound

Hey there.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I first got my 510 kit maybe half a year ago. Couldn't stand the included flavor so gave up for a month or so, got some REAL juice and enjoyed it a good deal.

I had been jumping back and forth between direct dripping and filling polyfill / blue foam carts. I didn't get much flavor, but it was a pleasant experience.

Just got my first Low Resistance atty from COV - http://tinyurl.com/22nromr the Bauway LR, some new juice (his Cured Tobacco).

I remember that most attys have a coating on them that makes them taste kind of funky, so before dripping onto it I ran it hot a bit until it stopped producing awful smelling vapor.

SO-

Using this new juice in my OLD ATTY tastes pretty good!

But in using it in my LOW RES atty it tastes absolutely terrible!

Is this because I did wrong by running the atty dry to burn off the crap on there?

Is it because I'm not used to the taste at such a high temperature?

Something else?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

I just got mine a couple days ago--2 things I figured out:

1. I found If I took a much shorter draw--the flavor, vapor production and throat hit were very good. If I drew too long I got the harsh burnt flavor. Habit of long slow draw was difficult to stop.....

2. I am mostly a dripper--so I removed the wick and have had zero burned/harsh taste. The LRs are easier to draw as a rule, but these ones really seem easy and a shorter draw seems to work best (for me anyway)

I just got mine a couple days ago--2 things I figured out:

1. I found If I took a much shorter draw--the flavor, vapor production and throat hit were very good. If I drew too long I got the harsh burnt flavor. Habit of long slow draw was difficult to stop.....

2. I am mostly a dripper--so I removed the wick and have had zero burned/harsh taste. The LRs are easier to draw as a rule, but these ones really seem easy and a shorter draw seems to work best (for me anyway)

Thanks for this idea!

After a few more drags and drips I realized it really is messed up- the thing tastes awful! So I decided to give the wick removal a try after watching this video: http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/forum/topic/7289-removing-the-wick-and-bridge-from-your-atomizer/page__st__8

I tried with a toothpick but nothing was budging,so I thought it was already fused together. I was right. After poking around with a small bent HIGH TECH TOOL I fashioned out of a stapler, I was able to pull these brown and black charred bits of puke out from under the bridge:

post-4215-0-16990500-1294273816_thumb.jp

Once I charge my battery back up I'll give it another shot!

Hopefully there isn't awful charred remains all inside this thing.

Thanks again.

post-4215-0-16990500-1294273816_thumb.jp

I've had that happen on a couple of my standard atty's. The wick melts when even slightly dry causing the nasty burning taste. I hope removing the gunk (that probably used to be the wick) works.

Oh wow!

It tastes GREAT now!

There is only a tiiiiiny bit of that filthy flavor left, it's barely detectable at all. Totally saved my new atty :D

Thanks so much for the information- I had no idea that those fibers were even in there. I have another regular atty that tastes like hell so I abandoned it months ago, I might be able to save it!

THANKS,

and this tip ought to be known to everyone :D

My high tech vaping tool. :) Great for pulling out stuck wicks and removing the tops from cartos. LOL!

Welcome to Vapor Talk! :thumbsup:

post-1693-0-57246800-1294276056_thumb.jp

Just don't leave that in your front pocket when you decide to sit down......

Those pesky wicking fibers are the bane of my existence--they do serve a purpose (kinda)--they are there to help the liquid wick to the coil-especially when using carts with filler. However--I have pulled the fibers out and used carts and not had any issues. For me, I always let the atty get just dry enough to burn the fibers.....so, out they go...

Like Brian pointed out--the mighty paper clip is a very useful tool.

Edited by kitsune

• 1 month later...

Hey there.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I first got my 510 kit maybe half a year ago. Couldn't stand the included flavor so gave up for a month or so, got some REAL juice and enjoyed it a good deal.

I had been jumping back and forth between direct dripping and filling polyfill / blue foam carts. I didn't get much flavor, but it was a pleasant experience.

Just got my first Low Resistance atty from COV - http://tinyurl.com/22nromr the Bauway LR, some new juice (his Cured Tobacco).

I remember that most attys have a coating on them that makes them taste kind of funky, so before dripping onto it I ran it hot a bit until it stopped producing awful smelling vapor.

SO-

Using this new juice in my OLD ATTY tastes pretty good!

But in using it in my LOW RES atty it tastes absolutely terrible!

Is this because I did wrong by running the atty dry to burn off the crap on there?

Is it because I'm not used to the taste at such a high temperature?

Something else?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Oh boy, sounds similar to my experience which I am still trying to work out...

Got an 801 kit from IndyVapor along with a spare 801 atty. Upon first try with the kit included atty it gave off a HORRIBLE burning and kind of mettalic and somewhat chemical taste. I was new to vaping so gave it a few tries before getting frustrated and swapped for the spare atty I bought. That one worked GREAT for a few days but then became so hard to draw on (and gurgled sound). Also had problem with the cartridges not wicking even with plenty of liquid in them. Liquid would just gather at mouth end and the atty end would be dry... grrrr

Tried direct dripping and worked somewhat but still had very hard draw problem on one atty and the other two still had horrible taste. Then after a while with direct drip the liquid would just constantly seep out the bottom of the atty!

So, completely frustrated I've got what seems a useless 801 (which I loved for 3 days) along with 2 useless atty's all less than 2 weeks old! One with horrible metallic/chemical taste I cant get rid of and one with very little vapor production and draw is like trying to sip molassess out of it all while liquid seems from the atty!

I contacted the vendor about these issues and he suggested the dry burn of which I had no idea how to do. I just kept trying to vape on both atty's with both issues never resolving. Still have that awful chemical taste and the vapor seems to coat my mouth too... ick.

The nice guy at IndyVapor sent me a free replacement atty, and ten prefilled cartridges too. Very cool and unexpected! But, the new atty not only had the same problem but seemed even MORE strong chemical flavor I can't get rid of. The carts, well, omg but the RY4 tasted really really bad. I felt awful b/c the vendor was so nice and did send this stuff free, but I am unable to use any of it.

Any help to salvage my once loved 801? I know, I know, I probably should try cleaning the atty's or do a "dry burn" but I have no idea how to do either and am also a little scared I'll just ruin them. Plus, let's just say I'm a little lazy and got SO frustrated that I just switched to using my 510 and 901 models of which I have many issues with on their own... leaky carts, cartos that don't last or hard to draw on, atty's dying and the like.

BUT, even with all this I am still vaping and off the analogs, just very frustrated and have come close to grabbing the pack of analogs I still have when I'm in a rush out the door and dont have time to deal with all these problems.

Any help is appreciated. I'm sure all my answers are here in the forum!

Edited by PrettyLittlePea