Atty With A Funky Taste.

brijmin

Ok let me start out with i have not been vaping all that long. 2 months. I started out with the eGo and use the original atty and cartage. I clean them once a week with hot water only.

I did not like to fill the cartages so much so i started dripping. My atty started to taste burnt so i removed the wick. Much better!

Well after vaping these same atties i now get a new burnt taste more of a metallic taste after about 6 hits. The vapor production is great. But i hit it with more juice and it is better.

Is this normal? is the atty crapping out? or is there something i am doing wrong?

The part that has me mystified is that i get awesome vapor but with little to no flavor of the juice and that funky metallic flavor...

Edited by brijmin

Sounds like what's called a partial burn. Part of the atomizer is probably damaged thus the reason for the nasty taste. I would toss the atomizer to be honest.

Another tip, don't clean your atomizer unless it's an absolute must. You should wait at least 2 weeks before ever cleaning an atomizer and even at that, it's best to avoid it if at all possible. Keep it coated with liquid and this won't usually happen.

Sounds like what's called a partial burn. Part of the atomizer is probably damaged thus the reason for the nasty taste. I would toss the atomizer to be honest.

Another tip, don't clean your atomizer unless it's an absolute must. You should wait at least 2 weeks before ever cleaning an atomizer and even at that, it's best to avoid it if at all possible. Keep it coated with liquid and this won't usually happen.

Amen to you Godfather, I stopped trying to clean my atomizers a long time ago. Right now, most of my attys are lasting upwords of 2 months or more, so if I get one that starts tasting like old gym socks, I toss it and get a new one. I figure if it lasted that long, I got my 8 bucks worth out of it anyway.

after i demolished two attys trying to get them super clean, i never cleaned them again. once in a blue moon i would soak them but it was a last case situation usually due to cinnamon juice.

cartos i do clean, just soak them for a few days, change the water out about 12 times a day, spin dry.

this carto im using right now is going strong at a month. taste brand new also.

cartos are so cheap you could actually just toss them after one filling, but i like to invoke the carto-zombie method. bring it back as long as you can as many times as you can.

ITS ALIVE!!!

i need sleep.. im getting loopy and making up zombie stuff about ecigs. excuse my tardness.

I use to try doing that cleaning crap also. Just wasn't worth the trouble.

Listen to the Godfather....he'll never steer you wrong.

I agree! This was one of the reasons I switched to cartos exclusively... not worth the trouble to do anything to attys in my opinion! For me... cartos have more flavor, more vapor, reliable performance, solid lifespan, little/no maintenance, AND I don't have to worry about counting drops anymore! (I always did hate trying to remember if I still had any juice left in my atty before I dripped more and took a chance on flooding it) :thumbsup: And in my opinion... cartos aren't even worth trying to salvage or prolong the life of. I typically make one last me a week or more...and if that happens then I am more than happy with that. I really don't even keep track of how old it is because I can tell by looking at one if it's about time to toss. The method I use for deciding when to trash a carto is simple. Once the juice starts to take on a 'brownish' tint, even after adding fresh/clear juice to it, then I know it's time to move on to a new one! I couldn't ask for anything more to be honest.

Edited by DAYVAPE

• 2 weeks later...

Really you guys?

I cant stand cartomizers, they jack up the taste too much, so I'm a die hard atty fan. You don't need to clean your atomizers often, but when you do clean them, use this method (I seriously have atomizers that are 7-9 months old):

Take the atomizer off the battery and blow super hard into the battery end, this blows nasty old juice out of the screen in the bottom back up into the coil.

Put the atty back on and vape it a few times until you get less vapor, and dont inhale this vapor, it will taste bad, just blow it out of your mouth.

Do that a few times until you dont get any vapor anymore

Now, you can dry burn the atomizer if you want, some people think that this helps... Dry burning is just keeping your finger on the button over and over to burn junk off the coil in the atomizer.

What I like to do is get some crest pro mouthwash (its blue, and doesnt contain alcohol) and heat it up for 30 seconds or whatever in the microwave. Soak your atties in that for 15 minutes or so, and kinda shake it gently every once in a while. I dont know what the deal is, but this stuff cleans the crap out of your atomizers... Ive tried peroxide, rubbing alcohol, denture crap, whatever, this works the best.

Its super important to rinse your atties really good after this, using warm water. Its critical to suck water through the atomizer with your mouth over and over to get everything out too. Rinse them super good, maybe even soak them for a couple hours. The let them dry... You can do that overnight but if you are in a hurry just use a blowdryer.

The next super important thing is priming them correctly once they are clean... drip a few drops of juice on the atomizer and then just take a couple puffs... drip a few more drops on and take a couple puffs. By this time it will most likely be primed.

I hope this helps someone lol, Atomizers last way longer than people think, and when you clean them good, they perform like brand new.