E-Cigarettes: Can They Help You Quit?

Christopher

This is yet another bone-headed article trying to spread fear and doubt about e-cigs.

Dr. Jack Henningfield, an expert on addiction who serves as a scientific adviser on tobacco to the World Health Organization (WHO), calls e-cigarettes "renegade products" for which "we have no scientific information." The electronic cigarette, he says, is a vehicle to deliver nicotine to the body. Its effects, he says, "are not benign," especially when breathed into the lungs.

Here's a so-called 'expert' from the WHO making spurious statements based less on facts than are the claims of health and cessation found on e-cig sites. To suggest we have "no scientific information" is only true if we ignore studies regarding the ingredients of e-juice going back to the early 40s. Propylene glycol has been studied in-depth, both when ingested and inhaled. PG's used in nicotine inhalers and fog machines, for godsake, and had to be studied and approved for these purposes. It must really bite these people in the *** to find that their previously "approved" ingredients are now making the e-cig phenomenon possible.

E-cigs themselves, as relatively new devices, have only been around to be studied to a limited degree, and should be studied further, obviously. But these anti-smoker nay-sayers would have us believe that we laymen are incapable of comparative evaluations based on fundamental science and common sense. Furthermore, the argument that the availability of flavors indicates the e-cig industry is targetting kids is ludicrous.

Henningfield further stretches his credibility when he states: "Other nicotine substitutes--the "patch," or gum, for example--are licensed as drugs and require Food and Drug Administration approval. But e-cigarettes, nearly all of them manufactured in China, have not been licensed as drugs or regulated." He doesn't mention the 95% failure rate of these so-called cessation programs, but seems to suggest that merely because the FDA has approved them, they work, whereas since e-cigs have not been given FDA's blessing, they by definition cannot be a viable cessation method.

And Henningfield clearly exposes his bias when he states: "Recently, however, the FDA initiated a ban on imports of e-cigarettes on the ground that they constitute unapproved drug-delivery devices (an action being challenged in court). It may take additional measures to restrict their sale."

It may take additional measures, huh Henningfield? As a rep of the WHO, you should be keeping an open mind to a new technology which has an amazing body of anecdotal testimony available for viewing online, growing by leaps and bounds every day as thousands of people in fact use e-cigs to happily transform their inhaliatory habits. But no, you seem to be "warning" us that the war against smokers must intensify or else e-cigs may turn the entire anti-smoker industry on its head. Well... I guess it would really suck to be you if that happened, now wouldn't it....

Dr. Jack Henningfield, you are no expert... you are a worthless weenie who should keep your propaganda to yourself until you know what the hell you're talking about. Come to think of it... even if one day you DO know you're talking about, we still don't want to hear it, because you're clearly an idiot. Lay off the lies and fear-mongering, and look for other work. You serve noone in the gig you have now.

This is yet another bone-headed article trying to spread fear and doubt about e-cigs.

Here's a so-called 'expert' from the WHO making spurious statements based less on facts than are the claims of health and cessation found on e-cig sites. To suggest we have "no scientific information" is only true if we ignore studies regarding the ingredients of e-juice going back to the early 40s. Propylene glycol has been studied in-depth, both when ingested and inhaled. PG's used in nicotine inhalers and fog machines, for godsake, and had to be studied and approved for these purposes. It must really bite these people in the *** to find that their previously "approved" ingredients are now making the e-cig phenomenon possible.

E-cigs themselves, as relatively new devices, have only been around to be studied to a limited degree, and should be studied further, obviously. But these anti-smoker nay-sayers would have us believe that we laymen are incapable of comparative evaluations based on fundamental science and common sense. Furthermore, the argument that the availability of flavors indicates the e-cig industry is targetting kids is ludicrous.

Henningfield further stretches his credibility when he states: "Other nicotine substitutes--the "patch," or gum, for example--are licensed as drugs and require Food and Drug Administration approval. But e-cigarettes, nearly all of them manufactured in China, have not been licensed as drugs or regulated." He doesn't mention the 95% failure rate of these so-called cessation programs, but seems to suggest that merely because the FDA has approved them, they work, whereas since e-cigs have not been given FDA's blessing, they by definition cannot be a viable cessation method.

And Henningfield clearly exposes his bias when he states: "Recently, however, the FDA initiated a ban on imports of e-cigarettes on the ground that they constitute unapproved drug-delivery devices (an action being challenged in court). It may take additional measures to restrict their sale."

It may take additional measures, huh Henningfield? As a rep of the WHO, you should be keeping an open mind to a new technology which has an amazing body of anecdotal testimony available for viewing online, growing by leaps and bounds every day as thousands of people in fact use e-cigs to happily transform their inhaliatory habits. But no, you seem to be "warning" us that the war against smokers must intensify or else e-cigs may turn the entire anti-smoker industry on its head. Well... I guess it would really suck to be you if that happened, now wouldn't it....

Dr. Jack Henningfield, you are no expert... you are a worthless weenie who should keep your propaganda to yourself until you know what the hell you're talking about. Come to think of it... even if one day you DO know you're talking about, we still don't want to hear it, because you're clearly an idiot. Lay off the lies and fear-mongering, and look for other work. You serve noone in the gig you have now.

I completly agree Jeff couldnt have said it better my self 

+1 for Jeff.

We all know just how well the patch works right? :rolleyes: I went on that thing and managed to stay off analogs for about a week if I remember correctly. But during that time I was a mean mother. Then I moved over to the gum, which I'll be honest wasn't as bad, I actually quite for about 3 or 4 weeks, but I would always get those serious urges, and of course if something even remotely stressful happened, bam back to the cigarettes. Ecigs are so darn effective it's nuts.

You know it's funny I was just taking some vitamins when I woke up this morning, and one of the vitamins I take is Fish Oil. (Good for the heart) Guess what one of the ingredients are?... Propylene Glycol.