Limn Imr Batteries

Uma

So, I just bought 2 of these LiMN IMR 18650 3.7v 1400mAh High Drain Rechargeable Battery for my SB,

Any advice on charging and using these? They can't be overcharged and they can't be overdrained. How do I safely use these? I don't think they have "smart protection" like my trustfires. My SB doesn't have a "smart feature" like the Joker. My charger is the trustfire universal one that charges numerous sizes, and as far as I know it doesn't have a "smart" feature. Obviously the user isn't a "smart" user....

p.s. quick thread/post doesn't allow for quote unquote apparantly. sorry!

Edited by Uma

The Quick topic works, but the quote unquote doesn't work for me.

"see!" (using the quotation marks on the keyboard that is next to my enter key)

P.S. but it works in Quick post. Just not Quick Topic.

Edited by Uma

I should have said "Quick Topic" instead of post/thread.

Thanks for the info, Brian. I feel better about my purchase already. Cool!

Are you using the quote tags? Unless I'm not understanding you need to use the quote tags for quotes to show.

Example:

Uma is cool

You can also use the button that has "two arrows"

If that still doesn't work shoot me a PM and I'll login to your account.

Now that's the coolest example ever. Can I use that one from time to time. :D

It's the quotation marks (") <--- inside the parenthesis from our keyboard. When we use quotation marks to highlight a phraze, like "Chris ROCKS!!" it will instead show up as: quoteChris Rocksquote or unquote or whatever.

It did it in another thread by somebody else today too (ASMCriminal thread on batteries I think). It did the same to him.

The posters in chat tonight ... I think Joe... said it happens to him too unless he includes a space after the quotation mark, such as: " VT ROCKS!! " which prooves that my computer is not seeing things afterall. Ha!

I need a translator lol.

The only thing I don't like about them is their short vape times. Most 18650 Li-Ions can easily handle a 2.5A drain which covers almost any atty. A standard Joye510, for example pulls maybe 1.8A.

Take a peak at this 2A drain test.

Li-ion_186502atests.gif

Look how quickly the AW IMR drops off (bottom, green), then look at the standard AW Li-Ion (top, black) and how much longer it maintains a higher voltage. In general the AW Li-Ions capacity is about 60% greater.

One reason to put up with the bulk of an 18650 is for large capacity and long vape times.

Another thing to note is the poor showing of the often used red/white UltraFire 3000mAh batteries (brown line). Although they last a bit their heavy and quick voltage drop is unacceptable. Avoid them.

you need a lipo charger.

you can actually catch any cell on fire

1) WAY over charged the cell and leaving it unattended in a cheapo charger.

2) Combining good cells with junk cells in a high drain application

3) Combining cells that have a very low charge with cells that have a very high charge, in a high drain application

4) Short circuiting the cell.

5) discharge them very quickly

if you see someone that has caught fire or exploded a cell, assume that they have done one of the above.

not to say that the protected circut couldn't have gone bad.. but when buying a mod you should also be very aware at what details your charger has behind it. what your batteries are charged to when taken off the charger. among other things.

high drain is a good idea for that "in case" situation. we are in no way doing high drain on a tiny atty/carto though.

i have no idea where these people come up with such wild ideas but it gets a tad annoying to hear.

years and years of flashlight modding to put out intense beams of light that can burn plastic, set fire to wood, blinding people from far distances have been done with good old li-ion. stacking 18650 batteries and draining them in a matter of 3 mins from full charge, yet i'm to believe that a rinky-dink atty/carto that takes 1-2 days to drain a single or stacked 14500 is going to need a high drain battery? please!

are they needed, no. is the chemical make up safer, yes.

sorry about the rant but just had to get that out. been reading to many threads about li-ion issues and the wild crap people say.

The only thing I don't like about them is their short vape times. Most 18650 Li-Ions can easily handle a 2.5A drain which covers almost any atty. A standard Joye510, for example pulls maybe 1.8A.

Take a peak at this 2A drain test.

Li-ion_186502atests.gif

Look how quickly the AW IMR drops off (bottom, green), then look at the standard AW Li-Ion (top, black) and how much longer it maintains a higher voltage. In general the AW Li-Ions capacity is about 60% greater.

One reason to put up with the bulk of an 18650 is for large capacity and long vape times.

Another thing to note is the poor showing of the often used red/white UltraFire 3000mAh batteries (brown line). Although they last a bit their heavy and quick voltage drop is unacceptable. Avoid them.

:unworthy: Wow, thanks!

Before purchasing the IMR's, I was using the regular gray TF 2400 mah ones... and they'd last a good 21 hrs of steady vaping on a SR atty but I could tell it was dropping. So, I went with the hype and purchased the new to me IMR's and ... here we are. Thanks so much for your input on this! Very well thought out and explained.

P.S. What does the AW stand for? Mine doesn't have the AW, just the IMR.. got them at VaporFlow with some Cisco's. (stocking up for my brother for Christmas).

you need a lipo charger.

you can actually catch any cell on fire

1) WAY over charged the cell and leaving it unattended in a cheapo charger.

2) Combining good cells with junk cells in a high drain application

3) Combining cells that have a very low charge with cells that have a very high charge, in a high drain application

4) Short circuiting the cell.

5) discharge them very quickly

if you see someone that has caught fire or exploded a cell, assume that they have done one of the above.

not to say that the protected circut couldn't have gone bad.. but when buying a mod you should also be very aware at what details your charger has behind it. what your batteries are charged to when taken off the charger. among other things.

high drain is a good idea for that "in case" situation. we are in no way doing high drain on a tiny atty/carto though.

i have no idea where these people come up with such wild ideas but it gets a tad annoying to hear.

years and years of flashlight modding to put out intense beams of light that can burn plastic, set fire to wood, blinding people from far distances have been done with good old li-ion. stacking 18650 batteries and draining them in a matter of 3 mins from full charge, yet i'm to believe that a rinky-dink atty/carto that takes 1-2 days to drain a single or stacked 14500 is going to need a high drain battery? please!

are they needed, no. is the chemical make up safer, yes.

sorry about the rant but just had to get that out. been reading to many threads about li-ion issues and the wild crap people say.

The charger I have is the good old universal TF 004 with 4.2 output. The IMR's are red IMR 18650's 3.7v without the nubbies. (I don't even know if they'll work without spacers in my SB.) Is that a Lipo charger?

Love love love your rant! You da man!

:unworthy: Wow, thanks!

Before purchasing the IMR's, I was using the regular gray TF 2400 mah ones... and they'd last a good 21 hrs of steady vaping on a SR atty but I could tell it was dropping. So, I went with the hype and purchased the new to me IMR's and ... here we are. Thanks so much for your input on this! Very well thought out and explained.

P.S. What does the AW stand for? Mine doesn't have the AW, just the IMR.. got them at VaporFlow with some Cisco's. (stocking up for my brother for Christmas).

AW is considered to be the premier battery maker (you certainly will pay premium prices). I've got nothing bad to say about them except they are expensive and the 18650's mAh rating, although accurate is too low.

The high drain LiMN.

awimr18650.jpg

The Li-Ion.

aw18650p26.jpg

Do note the larger Li-Ions have no 'button' top, for some devices you may need a spacer (small magnet)

Do note with 14500's the high drain LiMN's make some sense, as standard Li-Ions here can not keep up with the current demands of even a standard Joye atty (they are being pushed past their max discharge rating, stressed). And with 14500's for some reason, vape times are very similar.

FWIW TrustFires in general are better that UltraFires.

These are very good for budget vapers, The reviews are positive and they have been tested and are in fact true 2400mAh cells.

Trust18650.jpg

Nice price too. :thumbsup:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/TrustFire-Protected-37V-2400mAh-18650-Lithium-Battery-2-pack-P517.aspx