Life Insurance Policy Woes...

Some of you may have them some of you may not, but I do. A Life Insurance Policy. It's good to have, you always want to make sure your loved ones are well taken care of after your gone. So anyway on to why I started this topic, I was sitting down with an agent the other day adding a new type of life insurance. If anyone here has ever done this, you well know that they ask you quite a few medical questions, (to see how high risk you are I'm sure) One of the questions for this policy was "do you use tobacco..." Of course I had to stop for a second and say "well...no. BUT I do use nicotine, well actually an electronic cigarette" The insurance lady of course didn't know what the heck I was talking about. I explained to her how they worked. Her first response was "oh so it's like hookah" I don't know why, but everyone I talk to who has never heard of an ecig compares it to hookah.

Well long story short, there is an option for "member uses any device that delivers nicotine" which of course was me. Because of this I have to pay a MUCH higher premium, in fact the same premium that a smoker does. How much does that suck? So even though we've all quite and started on ecigs, we STILL have to pay far more due to our little nicotine problem.

So has anyone else experienced this? Do you think there is a way to fight it? Do you agree with it? Thoughts please... :)

Some of you may have them some of you may not, but I do. A Life Insurance Policy. It's good to have, you always want to make sure your loved ones are well taken care of after your gone. So anyway on to why I started this topic, I was sitting down with an agent the other day adding a new type of life insurance. If anyone here has ever done this, you well know that they ask you quite a few medical questions, (to see how high risk you are I'm sure) One of the questions for this policy was "do you use tobacco..." Of course I had to stop for a second and say "well...no. BUT I do use nicotine, well actually an electronic cigarette" The insurance lady of course didn't know what the heck I was talking about. I explained to her how they worked. Her first response was "oh so it's like hookah" I don't know why, but everyone I talk to who has never heard of an ecig compares it to hookah.

Well long story short, there is an option for "member uses any device that delivers nicotine" which of course was me. Because of this I have to pay a MUCH higher premium, in fact the same premium that a smoker does. How much does that suck? So even though we've all quite and started on ecigs, we STILL have to pay far more due to our little nicotine problem.

So has anyone else experienced this? Do you think there is a way to fight it? Do you agree with it? Thoughts please... smile.gif

Well - my thoughts are -- that blows!! sucks!! whatever!!

so when they ask me that question I will "just say NO!!" to tobacco use and will not elaborate on my nicotine use.

I thought the same thing, the only issue is, apparently if you pass away they test your blood level for nicotine. If it's found, your loved ones receive none of the money. Which IMO really sucks, as you so put it :) We need to get an insurance rep onto ecigs and then get them signed up here at Vapor Talk!

I thought the same thing, the only issue is, apparently if you pass away they test your blood level for nicotine. If it's found, your loved ones receive none of the money. Which IMO really sucks, as you so put it smile.gif We need to get an insurance rep onto ecigs and then get them signed up here at Vapor Talk!

What I am thinking is if I die in some sort of accident or heart failure the odds of them doing a toxicology test (which is pricey and unnecessary) are slim at best. So they just won't know about the nicotine. Plus the nicotine level from e-cigs is (they say) 1/10th that of an analog -- which is possibly the equivalent of eating a bell pepper that also is loaded with nicotine. Hmmm, all scientists are welcome to respond. Man-o-man VaporTalk is gonna get some hits now! haha

Well shoot I should have told them I don't use nicotine then. The plus side is that I can refile my application after one year of not smoking. Then supposedly I'll get the normal rate. I should ask them if they do a nicotine test for that (like they could test nicotine more than a month out! A hair test wouldn't even show that)

Not to defend the insurance companies, but I imagine their research probably tells them that if you're using a nicotine delivery device, you're much more likely than a non-smoker to reach for a tobacco product in a pinch. I think in ten years or so of e-cigs being around, this may change. But as for now, we're not going to get much leniency from insurance companies.

I have a strong dislike of insurance companies, but all the same I bought a life insurance policy after a dear friend of mine passed away while still quite young. He had insurance, and it helped his family immensely in a very difficult time.