Military To Ban Smoking

bzeisman

• 2 weeks later...

the story isnt about e-cigs, but what a great way to pick up a few extra costomers and show them the glory that is "digital smoking"

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=63542

Well, coming from someone who is smoking and serving in the military right now, I'm not really sure what to think about this. I know there is plenty of people that can function and do their job while smoking. Also there are plenty of people that can pass their PT (physical training) test and still smoke. So, I think that if the general population in the USA can smoke then the people fighting for them should be able to do it as well. I'm a pretty simple person; so if you regulate something in the government sector (all be it military, fireman, policeman, etc.) then it should aply to all sectors. Why would you want your military to be smoke free but not your police officers.

Also, I've heard that they want to start this ban on smoking in Iraq....that seems like the dumbest place to start. Let's do something that is highly contraversal and stressful in the most stressful area we can think of! I see the good purpose of looking out for someone's health, I just hope the military does it in a smart and responsible manner. Hopefully we can also bring to light E-cigs; I would love to get them introduced to the smoking cessation place here on base but only time can tell what legeslation will hold for the almighty E-cig.

Well, coming from someone who is smoking and serving in the military right now, I'm not really sure what to think about this. I know there is plenty of people that can function and do their job while smoking. Also there are plenty of people that can pass their PT (physical training) test and still smoke. So, I think that if the general population in the USA can smoke then the people fighting for them should be able to do it as well. I'm a pretty simple person; so if you regulate something in the government sector (all be it military, fireman, policeman, etc.) then it should aply to all sectors. Why would you want your military to be smoke free but not your police officers.

Also, I've heard that they want to start this ban on smoking in Iraq....that seems like the dumbest place to start. Let's do something that is highly contraversal and stressful in the most stressful area we can think of! I see the good purpose of looking out for someone's health, I just hope the military does it in a smart and responsible manner. Hopefully we can also bring to light E-cigs; I would love to get them introduced to the smoking cessation place here on base but only time can tell what legeslation will hold for the almighty E-cig.

i too am in the military and have been an analog smoker for 19 years. i just produced a story for AFN about smoking cessation and my research showed that more people start smoking downrange than in garrison. so if they were to ban smoking, than would be an ideal place to start. also an ideal place to sell digital smokes too. i did an interview with the director of the health and wellness center here on kunsan and he had never heard of e-cig before. i demonstrated them for him in his office and he thought they were pretty cool, its just there's not enough research done on them/not FDA approved, so he cant reccamend them to smokers trying to quit/looking for alteratives to smoking.

Z

i too am in the military and have been an analog smoker for 19 years. i just produced a story for AFN about smoking cessation and my research showed that more people start smoking downrange than in garrison. so if they were to ban smoking, than would be an ideal place to start. also an ideal place to sell digital smokes too. i did an interview with the director of the health and wellness center here on kunsan and he had never heard of e-cig before. i demonstrated them for him in his office and he thought they were pretty cool, its just there's not enough research done on them/not FDA approved, so he cant reccamend them to smokers trying to quit/looking for alteratives to smoking.

Z

Wonder if there was some sort of way to do a story on E-Cigs for the AFN. How is good ol kunsan? I was there from 03-04 and 07-08. Can't say I miss it all that much, but I did have some good times there. Any stories you have of vapping while on base? I know you aren't allowed to walk around and smoke (even in civilian clothes). Wonder what people's reaction would be while you vapped.

the only way i would be able to do a story is if it were some kind of problem on base or if a doctor or someone started ranting and raving about them. as far a i know, there are only 2 people on a base of 3000+ that use e-cigs; one guy from CATM (and he doesnt use them that often) and me.

everyone ive talked to is really excited about e-cigs and i have reccamended this site and other i shop.