Diacetyl

Sandy

Have been totally shocked about reading about this and wanted to find out if it is just in flavors or in all juices. I have been so happy about quiting smoking and then read about Diacetyl

and do not want even a trace of it in my vaping? Can someone explain. Thank you so much, Sandy :question:

I was wondering when this would get brought up today. Diacetyl is a compound that gives butter its characteristic taste. Manufacturers of margarines or similar oil-based products typically add diacetyl to make the final product butter-flavored. The subject I believe was brought up in regards to DIY flavorings.

This chemical is not found in all e liquids. But to be sure you should contact the seller first.

Is Diacetyl yet another thumbs up to the FDA? :clap:

I looked it up and I guess I want always to put things into perspective. I eat butter. I love butter! Am I going to stop eating butter? No, I will never stop eating butter! Did I ingest all kinds of toxic and known carcinogens when I smoked analogs? Yep. I guess it has to do with an individual's comfort level. If we only knew half of the things that are in the marketplace that are essentially harmful to our bodies, idk, I'd go pretty nuts.

Gtk it's not in VT e-liquid tho! :)

Edited by Lily

The chemical diacetyl is a very dangerous component that causes a specific LUNG condition that deadly and not curable, sure we did not ask all those questions then, but isn't it only right that we avoid things that are KNOWN to cause specific lung conditions.

The chemical diacetyl is a very dangerous component that causes a specific LUNG condition that deadly and not curable, sure we did not ask all those questions then, but isn't it only right that we avoid things that are KNOWN to cause specific lung conditions.

As a sidenote... Diacetyl is in your beer. A natural by-product of yeast fermentation (caused by high fermentation temps and excellerated fermentation), diacetyl is considered to be an undesirable flavor compound causing a butterscotch-like flavor. However, it is still there in low amounts in a decent beer. That being said, diacetyl is a type of alcohol, which in knowing that, gives the owner of a juice that contains this alcohol options.

I'll have to double check my notes but I'm pretty sure the vapor point of diacetyl alcohol is 168F.

So, does anyone know what typical atomizer temps are? What temp is required to vaporize ejuice?

I'm still new to this and not sure of the physics behind vaping. Is it actually producing steam? Or, just "atomizing" the liquid such as a "cool mist" humidifier?

None in our liquids either. Right now there seems to be an all-out panic on another forum regarding this. But now is not the first time it has come to light-- Most of the suppliers that have been around for a while have been aware of this for a long time. There was kind of a panic on the big forum maybe around 2008 or so, maybe early 2009.. When we were choosing manufacturers, this was one of the things we made sure were NOT in the flavorings, as well as added sugars and oils. New liquid vendors spring up almost daily, though.. it certainly doesn't hurt to ask before buying. Frankly, I wouldn't want to vape the stuff when I can vape perfectly yummy liquid without it.