Just In-Case...

xandalis

So, while the FDA is off playing potential havoc with the long-term availability of PVs and the like, I feel like this is probably a question some of us are starting to have running through our heads: how do you make the juices yourself? (I'm a techie, so far as building replacement atomizers etc, all I'd need is the specs&soldering iron).

I'm well aware that there's probably a huge legal issue that could come up for anyone trying to make their own juice from scratch, etc. But the question remains...

So, while the FDA is off playing potential havoc with the long-term availability of PVs and the like, I feel like this is probably a question some of us are starting to have running through our heads: how do you make the juices yourself? (I'm a techie, so far as building replacement atomizers etc, all I'd need is the specs&soldering iron).

I'm well aware that there's probably a huge legal issue that could come up for anyone trying to make their own juice from scratch, etc. But the question remains...

Here's a recent thread that answers your question: http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/forum/topic/7790-diy-liquid/page__pid__71366#entry71366 :)

Oh, also, what makes a good replacement material for the wadding in cartidges? I'm doing the full-time student thing on my GI bill right now, so I'm always looking for ways I can cut the demands on my wallet in the long-run.

People actually often replace the filler with some sort of blue foam that you can buy in sheets at a pet store. It is supposed to work a lot better.

Maybe someone will come along that knows the exact name of the stuff. :question:

Oh, also, what makes a good replacement material for the wadding in cartidges? I'm doing the full-time student thing on my GI bill right now, so I'm always looking for ways I can cut the demands on my wallet in the long-run.

"Fluval" is usually recommended. You can purchase it at your local pet store. It is a blue aquarium filter.

PG,VG and mixes are still available now. I think so anyway! For a while at least. Or has that been stopped already? diyflavorshack is the site I'm placing my next order with soon. I know that totallywicked sells stuff too. Several places I've found so far. I want to make my own DIY Clove/Djarum Black mix! :)

If I ever tried to make my own heating coils out of nichrome wire, I'd probably make a vertical coil for a cartomizer type set up. The wrapped material in the 510 cartomizers seems to work better than a cartridge filler/wadding. To me anyway. I hate cartridges and think they are useless! I thought about getting some blue foam and fluval for my eGo cartridges when I first started vaping. Until I direct dripped and then I also purchased some 510 cartomizers recently. IMO the hardest part of making your own coils would be making the enclosure/body for the DIY-made coil. None of the atomizers and cartomizers I've bought can be taken apart easily to replace the coil. (Everything's pressed together) I guess you could buy the threaded fittings and fabricate a nichrome coil onto one! Then you'd have to seal it into a tube, for the cartridge at the top. You can buy nichrome in a lotta places, and in different gauges. Sealing the DIY coil assembly to the tubular body would be the fun part. If you could press those threaded fittings into an old atomizer or cartomizer tube, I guess you could make it work. If the seal is good. "More" leakage is not good! LOL If someone were to make there own DIY coils, ya might as well "go all the way" and make a better E Liquid delivery system to the coil with a small funnel inside too. I think the "bridge mesh / wick" idea needs upgrading anyway. I've seen spiral mods that kinda direct the fluid to the coils. Don't know if that works or not. :) Wow! This turned into a book! LMAO It's late and I'm bored! :)

Fluval, got it. Thanks :)

JayH503: Yeah, press-fitting is rather hard to dismantle and still be able to re-assemble it. And let me know how that black mix turns out when you try it. Cloves of all forms are now illegal in NC anyway, and while I don't think I'd ever touch an analog of 'em again, I do love the taste. On the note of cartridges, I haven't really been able to direct-drip yet. I'm still vaping on the 5 pre-fills that came with my eGo kit. But, seeing as driping doesn't exactly seem safe while driving... I figure I'll still need to use carts sometimes. But I don't see the point in spending MORE on cartomizers that I'd have to swap out before/after driving.

Far as the "homemade" juice idea goes, it's partially from the paranoia that the FDA will go total asshat on the stuff. The other side is that I have this (probably crazy) idea that a person CAN be ethical AND make money doing it in a business. Figure that if I could get a workable setup, I could become a local supplier, hehe.

With the fluval--2 plus works best for standard filler type material. but as far as the blue foam goes--I haven't found a really good alternative ( I have looked) to the stuff sold by strictly ejuice--fairly inexpensive. When looking at the fluval, there are many, many types and textures. make sure you look inside the box.

mixing does take a bit of patience and practice. Need some PG or VG, nicotine based liquid and some flavoring. tons of info in the diy section. DIY flavor shack or freedom smoke usa are great places to start.

Fluval, got it. Thanks :)

JayH503: Yeah, press-fitting is rather hard to dismantle and still be able to re-assemble it. And let me know how that black mix turns out when you try it. Cloves of all forms are now illegal in NC anyway, and while I don't think I'd ever touch an analog of 'em again, I do love the taste. On the note of cartridges, I haven't really been able to direct-drip yet. I'm still vaping on the 5 pre-fills that came with my eGo kit. But, seeing as driping doesn't exactly seem safe while driving... I figure I'll still need to use carts sometimes. But I don't see the point in spending MORE on cartomizers that I'd have to swap out before/after driving.

Far as the "homemade" juice idea goes, it's partially from the paranoia that the FDA will go total asshat on the stuff. The other side is that I have this (probably crazy) idea that a person CAN be ethical AND make money doing it in a business. Figure that if I could get a workable setup, I could become a local supplier, hehe.

I bought some Kretek (clove) flavored E Liquid from Tasty Vapor. It's good! That's the first Djarum Black type I bought. It took a little while to get use to the cinnamon taste at first, but I vaped both 1oz bottles I purchased! LOL I'm ordering more too! I've made a few clove mixes out of weak clove flavors I've bought. Still looking for the best combination though. So far Tasty Vapor Kretek is the best. I added (a little) Camel flavor to the last 15ml's of Kretek and it made it taste pretty close to a Black!

If you haven't tried 510 cartomizers, you should! I just bought some a few days ago, and they work great! The cartomizers have a better taste IMO to using cartridges. I always got a burnt taste with cartridges. (But I was using the large cone shaped atomizers that came with my starter kit) I won't "EVER" use a cartridge again! Between direct dripping with 510 atomizers with a drip tip or using 510 cartomizers, the cartridge idea isn't worth the effort IMO.

A lotta small (2 or 3 people) mix places I think. But most of them come up with some great ideas for flavors! The places that are ran by actual vapers are great, because they want to make good products for the public and themselves. IMO :)